Substitute Teachers

Hate Study Hall

>

subasaurus

Hate Study Hall
Old 02-02-2017, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Pretty annoyed today.

Study halls are obnoxious because there are always certain rules that students attempt to exploit. They know the system and they know that signing out their name in scribbles on the sign out sheet and then bolting out of the room leaves the sub powerless. Or they need a pass to the library or other teacher, which I have a hard time believing when they're acting suspicious.

Subs should not have study halls, period. It's one duty I feel is a huge opportunity for students to find loopholes in the system. I mean, how am I going to track every student's location?

Nearly impossible.

And if I deny them a pass... I... yes, me, the adult in the room, could get in trouble if a student complains.

Another of the infinite "catch 22's" of junior/senior high.

There once was a day when study hall meant stay in the darn room and study and work. Now it means leave the room, or go on your cellphone and play.

Last edited by subasaurus; 02-02-2017 at 02:59 PM..
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

study halls, junior high?
Old 02-02-2017, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I was in junior high, I don't remember ever getting any free time. We didn't have spares until 10th grade. By the 10th grade, there's no one room we need to report to for any "study" hall. I usually go to the library to get some work done. This was way back in the day before any school shootings. Nowadays we have "closed" campuses. Beefing up the programming in high school may be a solution so students use their time more wisely.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Good point
Old 02-02-2017, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

"Beefing up the programming in high school may be a solution so students use their time more wisely."

I like this sentence. Definitely A LOT more down time with longer periods these days... and far more room for trouble in the classroom. That is a good way to curb it.

I find that giving the students more free time and less work is the LAST thing they need these days. They are so preoccupied with fooling around on cellphones/Ipods/laptops that the last thing they need is more time to do so.

Imagine all the reduced distractions in class if they had work to do.

Like they say, idle hands are the devil’s workshop...
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Yep
Old 02-02-2017, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Students are shocked when I tell them they need to have a previously issued pass from another teacher if they need to get help from that teacher. The only exception is the math study hall pass. Math teachers don't have set study hall rosters; instead they are there for students needing math help. There are specific passes to those teachers, and they are signed with time and date in both directions. If I'm suspicious, I call the teacher using the room phone. I've done that if a student is very insistent that they are to go to another teacher and don't have a previous pass. Most times, the other teacher says no. Bathroom passes, locker passes, and drink passes are "top" passes, and students get eight per quarter (yes, if it's an emergency, they can use a bottom pass in their agenda book). The hardest part is when they want to go to the library. That is just party time. I give them about 5 minutes, then call the librarian. She lets me know if they are partying. She also is good at getting them out of the LC in a timely fashion. But they will then hide in the bathroom. Of course, they do this with their regular teachers too. I hate study hall too.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

jeopardyfan

Old 02-03-2017, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

@subasaurus, I definitely agree. Students here have 85 minute blocks and there never is enough for them to do, the teachers only leave them about 35-40 min worth of work, so they spend the rest of the period messing around on their laptops ( normally watching pirated movie downloads). Seems like they could cut the school day in half, have them do the same amount of work, and have less behavior problems.

jeopardyfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Ciel

Old 02-04-2017, 12:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The only time I hate study hall is when it's a loud one. I almost never have issues with study hall--students always have passes to go elsewhere, give it to me to check right away, then leave. I think I've had to write out a pass once to go to the library, because the student couldn't ask the teacher the day before because they weren't there. It really wasn't a big deal. I don't think I've ever had the problem where it seems like they're just looking to leave. It's always seemed legit. And as for sign out sheets, if the teacher does have a sign out sheet, they do write nicely, probably because they could get a class cut if their handwriting is illegible.

I really don't understand why they almost never do homework in them (they mostly quietly use phones), as they likely have it, but I figure that's their time to not do the work. I have no way of knowing if they have work or not, and they are the ones who don't use their time wisely if they do have homework. If they aren't bothering anyone, I am ok with them just using their phones that period. It isn't worth making an issue out of it, especially when it could be they did their work in class or in lunch already.

Study halls are probably one of my favorite duties to have, as they're usually quiet, and easy to handle.
I personally hate cafeteria duty because it's 45 minutes of standing in one spot (I can see my area from one spot due to the layout), and a class called freshman academy more. I hate that with a passion, because their version of silent study isn't the calm ones I normally have, and when they do have assignments, they never do them. Never. Regardless of how many times they are redirected./what is done. THAT kind of study hall, I hate.
Ciel is offline   Reply With Quote

MiCharlie124

Old 02-04-2017, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I can't believe study halls still exist. In Michigan high schools, the curriculum is jam packed with required classes, and there are very few elective classes remaining. My high school is huge - nearly 3000 students. The juniors and the seniors generally have half a day of classes at the community college or have "vocational training" (they have jobs that allows them credit). Freshmen and sophomores have six classes, five required and one elective such as gym. I hated study hall when I was in middle school and it was eliminated when I was in highschool. Students either had a first hour "stay home" or a last hour "go home" on their schedules. That luxury is no longer available due to the increased mandatory workload.
MiCharlie124 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 02-04-2017, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I believe at one point study halls were created to give the kids something to do when they had no classes. Nowadays they are called enrichment, academic advisement, tutorials, anything but study hall.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Subtastic

Old 02-05-2017, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

They have different names for it - flex time, resource - but it's still a study hall. I don't mind low voices but some classes act like they're in the cafeteria and I have to crack the whip
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote