Help

BusyBoard

Chromebooks activities

>

Begood

Chromebooks activities
Old 07-15-2015, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So next year I will have 4 chromebooks in my class. What are some cool things I can do with these?

If you have some cool games let me know. But I really want to do more than just games. I read about setting up accounts and allowing students to do reading responses. I was thinking of setting them up as a center.

Begood

Begood is offline   Reply With Quote

beachygrl

chromebooks
Old 07-15-2015, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think your idea for using them as a center for reading response is excellent. Google Classroom is a great place for teachers to provide online assignments and students to complete them. As you get more familiar with it, you'll think of more ways to use the chromebooks. How many students are in your class? Even as a center, having just 4 might be a bit of a problem if you needed every student to access them daily. But assignments on Google Classroom are accessible on any device, if you students have access to smartphones or computers at home.
beachygrl is offline   Reply With Quote

frazzledtchr

Just found out
Old 07-15-2015, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We are actually getting a chromebook for every one of our 5th graders this year! I'm excited about this but not sure how to use them. We will have some sort of training (not sure to what extent) but I would also love some suggestions and ideas.
frazzledtchr is offline   Reply With Quote

CheleOh

Old 07-15-2015, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If anyone here is part of a GAFE (Google Apps for Education) district or school, I can't tell you how valuable it would be for you ... or a bunch of yous ;-) to attend an EdTech GAFE Summit.

My co-teacher and I attended one 2-day workshop in Las Vegas in January and another in Palm Springs (one day, following the annual CUE conference). Our district admins "roped us into" presenting to teachers (three different sessions) and we had to turn away people who wanted to sign up (1.5 hours, after school, paid! :-)) because the two of us didn't think we could handle more than 100 people. We were right. The second session, we brought a dozen students from our two classes (actually, their parents brought them) to help out. We couldn't emphasize enough that we were in no way experts in any way, but we had taken our trainings and jumped into the Google suite - and apps & extensions - with both feet and taken our students along with us. We weren't afraid to admit to our students that we didn't know everything, and that we would learn together. The students were SO inspired and excited to be able to share their discoveries with their classmates and us. HUGE growth in self-esteem for any number of kids ... many who weren't "great students" (in their minds ;-)).

We'll be attending another Summit in Orange County (Rancho Santa Margarita) the 1st and 2nd of August. If you are in the area and it's not sold out (I have no idea... ), TRY to go. Our principal paid for registration (about $265) with the caveat that we share with our staff... boy have we! :-) We also did a training after school got out for all of the administrators in our district, changing our focus of what we taught the teachers to apps, etc. that could make THEIR jobs easier. Our district is paying for us - and three others - to attend the August Summit. It's encouraging that they see the benefit of having teachers trained. My co-teacher and I are going to be working on getting "Google Certified" this year.

Our district is also HOSTING a Summit in November - the weekend before Thanksgiving. If you are near Temecula (or would like to travel to "Wine Country, South" during the loveliest time of the year), I encourage you to check it out. Tell Chris Bell that Michele and Rosalinda sent you.

https://www.gafesummit.com/
https://ca.gafesummit.com/temecula/

Chele :-)
CheleOh is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachNut

Old 07-15-2015, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Some ideas for Chromebook centers:

Student blogs ~ you can create a free account on kidblog.org and have students showcase items you are doing in the class. An example I've done is to have kids do an art activity and write a few sentences about it then they get to type it out and scan the picture in to post to their blog. You can even have a news of the day blog center where students recap their day in your class.

Photo center ~ pick up an inexpensive digital camera you will allow students to use. Have them snap pictures of learning or recess play time and they can upload picture and caption it Instagram style (can create a closed Instagram account) or even report on the picture.

QR Codes ~ You can use the Chromebooks webcam to scan QR codes for different activities such as reading centers or to get to websites you want kids on without having them type everything

Frontrow Math ~ I love this site. It's a free math site and every kid has their own log in. They begin taking a diagnostic test to place them where they belong in the standards and then they work through concepts you'll be teaching.

TeachNut is offline   Reply With Quote

Begood

Old 07-31-2015, 08:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

So my students don't have to have a gmail account?
Begood is offline   Reply With Quote