Help

The VENT

My custodian grrrr!!!

>

kinderlake

My custodian grrrr!!!
Old 08-13-2015, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

i went into my room today to drop off some things, and my custodian cornered me. She went directly to, what is your plan with the new table, and I told her. She then went on for 5 minutes telling me why that won't work!! Then told me if I decided to get rid of a shelving unit, I couldn't give it to another teacher who wants it, she said it can't stay in our building!!

I just stopped in for a few minutes to drop off some things, and feel like I was lambasted! Gr r, she is always bossy but really pushed my buttons so far this year!!

kinderlake is offline   Reply With Quote

MACMama

ignore her
Old 08-13-2015, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do what you want with your furniture. She will live, I promise
MACMama is online now   Reply With Quote
sign out

sign out

Frustrated too!
Old 08-13-2015, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I feel your frustration! I was read the riot act by our custodian this spring. My ONLY summer work request was for the old pull down movie screen to be removed. I have not used it in 5 years and it is in the way. You would have thought I was asking for the entire wall to be removed! GEE WHIZ! I wanted to say, "Gimme the drill and I will do it myself"! He must have been really attached to that screen.

ConnieWI

Book Shelf
Old 08-13-2015, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When it comes times to move that bookshelf, do it yourself with the help of the other teacher and maybe others when the custodian has left for the day!!
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Jojobean82

I feel you
Old 08-13-2015, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have one great custodian and one bad one... I always look for the nice one for any requests... Although I still have excess furniture in my room ...

Jojobean82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Begood

I understand!
Old 08-13-2015, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Well this will make you feel better...

I'm moving into a new building this year..have stuff in bags boxes. Well today went to look for a bag..the FREAKIN cleaner through it away!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All my classroom decorations!!!!!!! I do still have a bag of math and ELA. Everything else for 14yrs is gone;( I managed to get some stuff on the walls prior to..but it's the point.
: mad:
Begood is offline   Reply With Quote

kinderlake

Same boat...
Old 08-13-2015, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I went in this evening to do some organizing and realized a bag of art supplies are gone my custodian did come in and apologize though she still said the shelving unit has to go to the other building...at least she apologized for biting off my head earlier!

It helps to know that others are in the same boat...but they shouldn't be allowed to throw their weight around like that. Hoping my new principal will clip her wings a little this year!!

beagles2

Old 08-13-2015, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Custodian's don't HAVE any weight. NONE.

I have always gotten along with my custodians because I feel that's important, but if someone treated me that way they would get a huge telling off. Don't let your custodian boss you around - they are not anyone's boss.

As far as them throwing stuff away - was it in your trash can? Right next to it? If not, what the heck are they doing going around our room gathering trash? Unacceptable - and your custodian needs to hear about it.

Just curious about these custodians - doesn't anyone stand up to them?
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

kinderlake

I have stood up to her
Old 08-13-2015, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

And she makes nicey nice and apologizes, then continues to do what she wants anyway. we have gone to the principal, talked with her, yelled, cajoled, and sweet talked...the bottom line is our previous principal never stood up to her and backed the teachers up. He actually gave her a score of 4 out of 5 on her evaluation and said the reason that she didn't earn a 5 was because of an issue of throwing stuff of ours away...a 4 is considered highly proficient, a 5 exemplary... So she wasnt too upset by the 4!!

We have a new principal who I am hoping will make a change, she definately has no problem standing up to people. A couple of us will be talking to her once she officially begins the year and hopefully she will confront and follow through which is what needs to happen.

TheTrunch

I've been fortunate
Old 08-13-2015, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Over my career I've had only 4 head custodians and their assistants, and each of them have been beautiful people. Willing to go above and beyond what was expected. Def would be a bummer to have a disagreeable custodian.

TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

Extra careful.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

You're on notice that your items aren't secure. Box them with a huge label from now on. Take a photo of your room. If something goes missing, you can refer to the photo and ask what happened to it. You can also show it to the principal if necessary.

I put EVERYTHING away. I notice that no matter where I hide them, the cleaning crew unearths my my laptop speakers and leaves them laying out. I don't mind if they use them, but I'd be ticked if they were broken.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsWok

Old 08-14-2015, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Begood, that would PISS me off!!! I take my decorations very seriously. Also, they're expensive!!! What a bummer.

Also, kinderlake. I'm sorry that happened. At my last school we had a bossy custodian. If you pissed her off, she wouldn't talk to you for months. My new school seems to have really helpful custodians! It makes a difference.
MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-14-2015, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Thankfully our two PITA custodians are no longer here. Ours are great now. I am glad we have them because I was so tired of our passive aggressive and downright rude previous ones.

When they told me that certain things had to be done, I always said that I would do that as soon as I got notice from the administrator.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote
guest12345

guest12345

Old 08-14-2015, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We had a passive aggressive one not too long ago. Each night she would unplug a scent maker I had. I wouldn't mind except she tipped it onto its side so the oil spilled out onto the chalk tray. Then, she got mad at me for having to clean up the grimy mess. I flat out told her what she did to cause the mess that she was required to clean up.
Needless to say, my classroom rarely had any work done to it besides the garbage bag removed.

Faith1170

Sorry.....
Old 08-14-2015, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with a custodian.

I have been blessed to have really good custodians over the years. That is another thankless job that I am glad I don't do. I would be careful about ever telling any custodian off. If you do, I'm pretty sure that your room will be the very last in getting something fixed, or cleaned properly. I learned early on in my career to make friends with the custodian. It's true that they are not your boss, but they have a lot of control over your room.
Just saying....all school employees are stressed right now getting ready for school. Hang in there!
Faith1170 is offline   Reply With Quote

kinderlake

I have also
Old 08-14-2015, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Been blessed to have had amazing custodians until I moved last year. Standing up to her doesn't work, she just retaliat s passively and unless I want to move into my room 24 hours a day, she will make things disappear. She already doesn't do a good job of cleaning any of our rooms, dead flys are on my window sill, a squashed spider remains on the wall from last spring where she squashed it, and dust is everywhere.

As of now, i am missing a tub of art supplies, BB borders, and a bean bag. I am sure as I continue going through my stuff, I will find other things that have sprouted legs and walked away this summer. I will log a complaint with our new principal and so will the other teachers.

I hope you all have a great fall!!