Help

BusyBoard

$200!

>

LadyFifth

$200!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just had to spend about 200 dollars on a classroom set of books and guides of my OWN money! What's the most you have paid for classroom materials at one time?

LadyFifth is offline   Reply With Quote

Suspended

MsMomma

Suspended

Old 03-17-2013, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

!

I don't think I've ever paid over fifty of my own money during the school year. I have bought organizational stuff before, but that's just me. I know some people won't buy ANYTHING with their own money, and they should be allowed to.

At least it's tax deductible?

Since you're paying so much, I suggest you invest in a stamp set, and stamp "PERSONAL PROPERTY OF ________________." in each book. Then put them in a tote and tape a copy of the receipt to the inside of the tote.

What books were they?
MsMomma is offline   Reply With Quote

DrivingPigeon

Old 03-17-2013, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I spend about $2,500 on my classroom each year. In the summer I usually spend around $1,500.
DrivingPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote

treetoad

Old 03-17-2013, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I''ve never purchased anything for my classroom...I fill out a purchase order and if it's something to be rejected our principal finds a group to sponsor it.
treetoad is offline   Reply With Quote

hapteacher

2500. on classroom...
Old 03-17-2013, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

OMG I added up my receipts fromthis year and they came $350 I was shocked. But amajor part of this was ink cartridges and pencil sharpener. What did you purchase? I usually buy extra pencils erasers etc but this year was an exception, I have not figured out to run the new photocopier.... so did a lot of copies from home. Plus my momis ill with cancer so standing around waiting for a copier is just not a prioity. Our secretary does no photocopying.. very small schoolwith combined classes ans extra duty days due to budget restraints and smaller class sizes.

hapteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Crazy3

Money
Old 03-17-2013, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have spent upwards of $5,000.00 some years. However, I put my name in or on everything, and I am very careful who I loan things to. Since I have been teaching for 14 years now, I spend less money. Now, it is usually only the odd professional book or something I feel my students just can't live without that I spend my own money on. That is because there is not too much else I need to equip my room with. The P worries about the day I transfer, because the room will be empty of resources and bookcases and the school can't afford to replace what is my personal property. I work in a compensatory school (by choice), so fund raising for resources is just not going to happen. I get $150.00 for my classroom per year, which is our School Board's base amount, while other teachers get $1500.00, plus a mounted smart board in every room, thanks to their PAC fund raising. (One of those schools is the one my own children attended) I usually spend the $150.00 on extras for the students, such as art supplies, printer cartridges for the classroom printer, not provided by the school, things like that. I have been told by other teachers, that I am being unfair to the school by providing so much for my students. Perhaps I am, but the resources keep the children interested and motivated and I am not forced to spend precious time, running around the school trying to find out who has the only bucket of this and that. The few times I have had to do this, the resources are nowhere to be found.

One of my grade 3 boys wrote me a poem recently:

You are the best with the text,
You are my friend and you rock.

He gave this to me with a picture of a red rose. So sweet!

While I would say I am not his friend, I know where the sentiment comes from. He never liked books before, his first language is Arabic and really struggled with English. Now he can't get enough. Lucky for me, I have several combined English and Arabic books in my library. He was thrilled to read in his own language and have the English translation right there. It has really helped him.

Just so you know, I came to teaching later in life, so I was not taking away from my own children. Most teachers are not in a position to do what I have done and I feel very lucky and honoured.

Teaching is my bliss.
Crazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 03-17-2013, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When I first started in the middle of a year, I spent about $200, but haven't done that since.
I don't spend my own money anymore, but my school will reimburse me if I do the receipts correctly. I messed up at the beginning of the year and won't get $45 back. I won't mess up again!
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote