Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

meannie :(

>

3boys:)

meannie :(
Old 05-31-2011, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So, I just had my feelings hurt by a student. I know I shouldn't let it bother me but..... I was talking to the students and told them that I was putting off the quiz until tomorrow, that we needed a little more practice on the math. One of my students says how nice I am (of course). This is a student who is lazy and gets in alot of trouble usually, so another student said "That is the 1st time he said you were nice". I casually mentioned that "I figured as much" and that I know he thinks I am mean. Right after that, another kid says, quietly, but loud enough for me to hear "Everyone says your mean!" Now, this is 5th grade and I know they speak from the hip and this girl has gotten into trouble (and thinks she is special) but for some reason this just really got to me. I have a decent class with a couple of class clowns, I don't think I have been that unreasonable! I have had to do a little "lecture" recently on it still being time to work and play time is for after school.
I just had to let it out. I know I shouldn't worry about it, but I am just sad that they think this.

RmAnderson717

I can relate...
Old 05-31-2011, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had a tough class this past year, and can totally relate. It was hard for me not to get my feelings hurt. Kids can be really hateful. I'm sorry you're feeling down. (((Hugs)))

Moana Mel

Old 05-31-2011, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

(((((hugs))))) That IS mean! 5th grade is old enough to know better. I think I'd probably talk to her and remind her that mean words aren't acceptable ever, no matter who they're directed at. I'm sure you have many students, the majority of them, who feel otherwise about you. Things get tough near the end of the school year.

I hope one of your students does something extra sweet for you before the day is done.

TravelingGal

Old 05-31-2011, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Okay, I am the first to say that kids that age are really rude, but I do not think you should have said to another student "I figured as much and that you know he thinks you are mean". YOu know how kids are; they will stand together against a teacher no matter what.

mooba1

Old 05-31-2011, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My 3rd graders were hideous this year (I think I've mentioned that about 1,001 times already), so they started off the year w/ snarky comments. By the last month of school, they were sniping at each other, as well as me---lots of private talks and trips to the office for a select few!

Keep in mind that everyone is dancing on everyone else's nerves at this point, and just try to let it go. If the kids all say you're mean (which I seriously doubt) then that means you are doing your job.

I always took that comment as a compliment! I was never there to be the kids' friend, so it didn't bother me at all to be called strict.

Let the snarky comment roll off your back, but I would certainly jerk a knot in this little girl's tail for being disrespectful.

3boys:)

Old 05-31-2011, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

No excuses, but I know this student very well outside of school (his mom and I are friends) and I was teasing him, which they all knew. Maybe I shouldn't do that but that is just my nature, I joke around with the kids. Not in a mean way of course. I did tell the class that I was just doing my job if everyone thought I was mean.

Thanks, I am feeling better already!

bGracie

Old 05-31-2011, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It sounds to me like the girl who made the comment might have said that because she's gotten in trouble, but I doubt "everyone" thinks you are mean. I think the comment you made about figuring as much sounds fine.

I think that anyone who teaches 5th grade and makes it through the year is successful! That is an age group that I can handle, but I'd rather not have to.

crackerjill

Old 05-31-2011, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It is hurtful, but honestly, I take pride in being called a mean teacher. Its something of a joke at our school about who will get the "Meannie" (mean teacher award).

Really at that age, they say one thing one minute and say something different the next. I've been called the meanest teacher they've ever had, and I've been called the nicest (by the same class!).

Don't take it personally, they are kids and they try to upset you.

REB

been there...
Old 05-31-2011, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have been there. (((((((HUGS)))))) to you. Last year, my quote for second semester was "This too shall pass." Every year, the second semester, changes start happening, "Spring fever" is more like Second Semester Love Triangle Fever. And, just when you think you know the scoop, the scoop has changed.

I have gotten to the point where I would actually start talking to myself in class before, and this really makes them think, especially if you start saying "this too shall pass" underneath your breath to every mean comment they say. One day one of the students said, "What does that mean?" I said, "It means that before you know it, your time here will be over, and I wonder if that's something that you want to be remembered for saying out loud?" They stopped looked at me, and I said, "The words you say today, are part of the legacy you leave behind for the younger students to follow."

At the end of the year, I had a student, whose parents used to be on my speed dial, because I called the number so much, tell me that what they enjoyed most about my class that I was "real". I wasn't afraid to let them know when I was hurt by their actions, and I wasn't afraid to show them how much I cared, even if that meant giving up a few hours of planning time to do it. They did recommend that basketball probably wouldn't be a good career move for me, though.
That meant a great deal to me, because I didn't think this kid cared about anyone but theirself, or at least that's the picture they represented pretty often around me.
You never know how much you truely DO mean to these students.
Hang in there, remember..."This too shall pass."
REB

klarabelle

Old 05-31-2011, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I feel for you I know how upsetting it is when students are nasty. I have been called fat [yes I am], made fun of my gap between my teeth and my shoes. It all hurts but I think of how these kids are raised...not and I will tell them that I can't help the bad manners, it just tells me that they are not being raised right [when others defend me]. So please, ignore it, because if we could point out students' flaws there would be no stopping us

teachnkids

Old 05-31-2011, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I teach 6th and get my feelings hurt a lot!!! I am considered the meanie. Well if other teachers just followed the directives of admin then there wouldn't be any issues. Too many choose to loosely follow rules. I'm a rule follower. I decided a long time ago that I wasn't going to let 6th graders make me sad. Funny thing is when you get them one on one they are really sweet! Of course they are, they don't have their audience to entertain!

((HUGS)) Remember you are there to be their teacher and not their friend!