Help

Retired Teachers

Jurty Duty

>

LaFish

Jury Duty
Old 02-20-2020, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have jury duty in about 2 weeks. No problem...I am retired!

The last time I received a summons was about 5 years ago and it was scheduled for the first day of school. I wrote a letter and asked to be rescheduled for another day. I stated that it was important for the students to know their teacher on the first day of school. My principal signed the note as well. I was excused. Many months later it was rescheduled for the first week of summer vacation!

Last edited by LaFish; 02-20-2020 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: Spelling
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 02-20-2020, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

DH was scheduled for jury duty when we had a cat that needed medications several times a day (and I was still working). He wrote a letter explaining that and I will admit I scoffed at his efforts. Amazingly they postponed his duty until my summer break. I guess they have a heart!

Last edited by Cat woman; 02-21-2020 at 05:12 AM..
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

LaFish

How do I correct the spelling?
Old 02-20-2020, 09:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Send a message to editors?
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 02-20-2020, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

To edit, click on “Go advanced”

Last edited by amiga13; 02-20-2020 at 10:49 AM..
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I am probably due...
Old 02-20-2020, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have lived in NJ 32 years. I have only been called for jury duty twice. The first time, it was in the summer, but I had a vacation planned and was afraid if I was on a case, it would overlap with my trip. I had a friend in the sheriff's department, and he was able to get it re-scheduled for me.

The second time I went, the time to report came and went and I was wondering why we were not shown the orientation film. It turned out that all the cases for the day were settled out of court, and we were free to go. I got my letter with proof I had shown up and signed to decline the pay because teachers are considered government employees and we get our regular salary for the day. I was able to go home and enjoy the rest of the day there. I already had my sub in place at school, and my school is not near the courthouse. Now, we have a different superintendent with different rules. I think I would have had to go back to school.

NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Jury Duty
Old 02-20-2020, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

About 20 years ago, I was put in the jury pool for federal court - 180 miles away. We are in a very rural area. And the jury pool was active for a whole month. If called, I would have had to drive down, get lodging and meals, etc.

DH and I were also in the process of building our present home by ourselves, lived in a temporary one-bedroom house with our 2 daughters and the cat. Our dog was at a friend's house. All this and teaching too - for both of us. Truly a manic time for me.

I prayed and prayed I wouldn't get called. I was required to phone in every Friday to see if I was to report on Monday. Thankfully, I wasn't, but boy! Was I a basket case during that time.

DH has gotten called a number of times, but he is hard of hearing and his hearing aids cannot always help when different people with different voice levels are speaking. All it takes is a call to his audiologist, and they take care of it.
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 02-20-2020, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

About 10 years ago, I was asked to report for jury duty during our annual testing so asked to be rescheduled. They called me back during summer vacation...they know. I served at that time but was let go on my second day.

I honestly would refuse to go now. The County Superior Court location has become a VERY bad part of town where there the streets and steps of the court house are covered with drug addicts and homeless sleeping everywhere. There have been muggings, robberies, beatings and murders right out in front of the court house. No thank you.
MathWA is online now   Reply With Quote

smithf1

Jury duty
Old 02-20-2020, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Great thread!!

I have been called a number of times, a few Iíve gone watched the movie then been discharged. Once I served on a 2-day trial. I enjoyed being part of the judicial system so I could tell my fifth graders the process.

Many years ago I was called for Federal jury duty (every day for a month- and a lengthy commute) and was excused because my son with Type 1 diabetes was about 6, and couldnít do his regimen himself.

Iíve also been called for Grand jury, (1-4 days per week for 3 months.) That year I had several challenging students who would have been fine, but I had the aide from HE//. That caused me much stress. My principal said they would take care of it. I fretted for about 6 weeks then got a postcard saying it was not happening.
smithf1 is offline   Reply With Quote

jks

Smith1
Old 02-20-2020, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Me too Smith1! I have been called multiple times. When I was teaching I got it deferred to the summer except the year I had a really bad class. I had to go in 2 days, then was excused ( I was hoping for a longer trial...ha!).

I was called for Federal jury duty the first year of retirement, but thankfully did not have to go. When I called the phone number, they said i was not needed. I had already driven to the Courthouse the week before so I would know where to park. It was 1 hour away.

I thought that it was interesting that twice when I was "interviewed" by the attorneys, when they asked me my profession, i was excused!
jks is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 02-20-2020, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

DH was called for jury duty many times and he liked it. The last summons came when he was in Home Hospice. As his caregiver, I wrote of his diagnosis of cancer and severe dementia (he didnít know where he lived or who I was). The courtís response was a different date for him to appear. I threw that one away and figured they could come get him.

amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

Jury Duty
Old 02-20-2020, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

DH has never been called. I was called once. First case involved a drunk driver, I was excused because DD had been in an accident where other driver was DWI. Next case involved forgery at a grocery store I asked to be excused because my dad was an executive of a grocery chain and I might be bias.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

EdfromBama

re:Jury Duty
Old 02-21-2020, 03:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Good morning to all-
Some years back I was summoned to jury duty during the summer. No problem.
When I went through the orientation, there was no problem.
When we actually went to court, there was a problem. The defendant was a former student- not such a good kid, even in high school- who was accused of robbery in a drug deal gone bad.
When the preliminary jury questions were asked and it turned out I had previous acquaintance with the defendant, I was very quickly excused and got to go home.
I do believe I went fishing the rest of the day.

Good day to all- Ed
EdfromBama is online now   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I was called for federal
Old 02-21-2020, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

jury duty in a medical malpractice suit.

When questioned, I said I'd been involved in a suit that didn't go to court because the company was sold and the new purchaser created a giant trust for those who had been damaged.

The judge asked me at several points if I thought I could be a non-biased juror and I stated I could which was how I felt. The lawyers for the defendants decided I couldn't.

In retrospect that was a good call by them. I was hit with lots of decades old memories later that day which would have been stirred during the course of the trial, I expect.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolyn

Old 02-26-2020, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I was once excused from jury duty because I had a baby and a toddler. I have not been asked since that time to serve.
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote