Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

curves

>

reflect

curves
Old 05-22-2011, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all! Summer is practically here..some are already there and others are smelling it! Well I am making a goal for myself to get back in shape and lose some pounds and inches! I have alfready started by forcing myself with no caffeine (its easier in teh summer to avoid it!!) I am thinking of joing Curves..I am not a fan of gym especially working out in front of guys! (who half the time are just good to look at and I of course do not really work out!! HAHA
Anyways does anyone go to Curves, enoy going? is the price reasonable? Just curious!! TIA1

REB

Old 05-22-2011, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi. I used to be a member. I was a member for 4 years. I joined there in 2006, weighing 306 lbs., and came walking in on a cane, as I had to walk on one to get around. I got really serious about my workouts there in 2008, weighed 301 lbs then, was still walking on a cane, and started going 5 days a week, and counting WW points at home, having been a member multiple times, and having had all the books. (I had enough of those getting started books that I later, in the next year, after people saw me actually losing weight, I gave out 6 copies to people wanting to learn the points system.) A couple months after I got more serious, and had lost the first 20 pounds, (and became cane-free) it was summer time, and I also added in a gym, on top of my workouts at Curves. But, for me, Curves is where it all began, that and my desire to change, and stubborness not to let anyone or anything get in my way. When I first joined the gym, I could go really slowly on the elliptical 15 minutes, and rode a recumbent bike 30 minutes, as fast as I could. The weight continued to drop off of me.
I just put one foot in front of the other, and kept pushing. I cut out Cokes cold turkey, the very first week, when I started getting serious about losing weight. I had previously drank 6 regular cokes a day. For the first week, my head pounded like a bass drum, after that I still craved the Cokes, and when I would see someone drink one, I'd want one, so I had to leave the room, if I saw someone drinking one. I think it's probably very similar to the feeling a person may go through that has an addicition...for me, Cokes was mine. It was my comfort, my friend, never judged...you get the point. After the first month, a sweet lady, who was my former WW leader from one of the many times I had been a member, saw me at a street fair with my family, and I told her what a struggle I was having, at the street fair that day, seeing coke booths, and people drinking them. She said, "make sure you look up uses for coke when you get home, it will really make you think. Did you know you could use coke to clean corrosion off of a car battery?" When she said this, something struck me, and I thought about my insides, and decided to continue my path of only drinking water, from that day on. That was over 3 years ago. My husband jokes with me that if I had a soft drink today, I'd probably go into a sugar coma.

I now weigh 140 lbs, and although I made my goal at 136 lb in June of 2009, there was a time, when I got even smaller. I set my own goal for WW lifetime membership after I joined meetings in the spring of 2009, at 160 lbs. I decided to set my own goal at 130, which looking back now, was pretty low.
I got down to 128 lbs, when I made Lifetime membership in Sept. 2009. I literally went from a tight size 28 pants, to a size 4 pants in about 17 months, through healthy eating and exercise. I had no surgery, but lost a lot of inches. I think at last measurement, I had lost almost 119 inches from my body. In hindsight, I wish I had started doing more weights and strength training earlier on, in my weight loss. I didn't started doing strength training or weights, until I lost the first 100 pounds.
Because of the awesome support network that I had, I was Curves Most Amazing Member in 2009, and was in their magazine twice. Other offers presented themselves, but I was working at the time, and missed deadlines, so that never happened. And, in hindsight, I think I was really nervous that if things happened too fast, I would lose that sense of normalcy, and forget why I started this journey in the first place. I still try to do each day what I set out to do...stay healthy, for myself, and my family, (I have a child with Cystic Fibrosis, and I work dilligently to be able to do more with her now that I can get around a lot better) and help people who are overweight like I was, and have a lot of weight to lose, or who may be handicapped and have a lot of weight to lose, like I was back then.
I do spinning 3 days a week, do strength training 5 days a week, of some sort, and run on an elliptical and arc trainer at least 3 days a week. I ran 12 miles for the first time a little over a month ago on the elliptical. I would've never dreamed that I could do that 3 years ago.
May 20 was three years since I last used a cane.

REB

reflect

wow!!
Old 05-22-2011, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

First off congratulations!!! That is such an accomplishment that I can tell you are and rightfully are so proud of!!! I dont know what all to say except I am in awe of your accomplishment!! You have succeeded in me to get out and get back to working out I have become so out of shape.
I do have a question I know you credit so much with Curves but do you feel joining Curves or joining another gym would be more beneficial? (I do not have the finances to join two separate places)

And again congrats congrats to you!!

WIBadgerFan

Curves
Old 05-22-2011, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was a member for two years and I loved it. The one I went to was fairly small and since a lot of people tended to go at the same time everyone got to know everyone. I lost about 40 pounds while I was doing curves. Unfortunately, when I moved back to my hometown I cancelled my membership. Partly because I didn't have a job to pay for it, and partly because it was MUCH bigger and I don't adjust to change very well. I thought the price was very reasonable, but that was a few years ago, so I'm not even sure what it is now. I liked that you got some cardio, but also strength training, which is what I need because I have a very muscular build all built into a 30 minute workout. I do miss it though, and if I get a full-time job (instead of subbing), I may check into finding one nearby that is a little smaller and going again since I gained a lot of the weight I lost back