Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Sad...favorite neighbors moving away. :(

>

REB

Sad...favorite neighbors moving away. :(
Old 05-31-2011, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have seen a lot of neighbors come and go, but since Hurricane Katrina destroyed their home in Louisiana, I have had the most wonderful neighbors possible. And, today, their daughter is here to move them out. They were an elderly couple who were very, very sweet, and kind-hearted. The man had prostate cancer a couple times while he lived here, but fought it tooth and nail, and overcame it, or so we thought. The lady had a bout of shingles so bad last year, it took her months to recover from, and she's still really, really, tiny.
I would normally be happy for them, and at first thought they might be getting ready to move back home. But, then I learned that a couple weeks ago, they learned his cancer had returned, and had spread this time to his bones. The daughter is now faced with the heart-wrenching decision of what to do, do you go ahead with chemo treatments, or try to keep helping him get stronger, and wait, or let him stay in hospice (where he's been for a day), or let him come home to live with her, and have home health care come out to see him. My husband said that he was told that my neighbor had been given about 6 weeks left.
The situation is just sad all the way around. We're losing awesome neighbors, and I'm bad about getting attached to people, so that makes this news even tougher. Plus, they were awesome for my little girl, and she would chat with them often. She really likes them a lot.
She's not happy about their move, but she's not really saying a lot. I used to love to bake brownies for them, and our other neighbors often, and chat with them because they seemed to know all the news. The man was great about letting me know about traffic delays in the mornings, bad weather coming, and would watch out for me in the mornings when I would leave for the gym, through his window, since he was up at that time already.
I got their daughter's address so my little girl can draw them a picture, and we can send them a card to let them know that we're thinking about them.
Sweet, sweet people. I really will miss seeing them.

REB

mooba1

Old 05-31-2011, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was at first thinking how sad it was for this couple, but by the time I got halfway through your post, my thoughts changed. How blessed you and your neighbors are, that your paths crossed, even for a relatively brief time. It sounds like all of you brought light and joy to each others' hearts! May your sweet neighbor have a peaceful journey from this life. I think it would be wonderful for you and DD to stay in touch with them.