Help

Math & Science

Lesson for informal observation

>

cajunfrogdogs

Lesson for informal observation
Old 11-01-2012, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have any awesome lesson ideas I could snag for an upcoming informal observation? I am introducing 2-digit by 2-digit multiplication tomorrow (Fri) and will be observed on Monday. I will be focusing on using arrays and partial products Fri. Not planning on using lattice.

My ideas to make the lesson interesting so far are mainly games. Multiplication jenga, dice game, multiplication cootie catcher etc. However those all just practice facts. Not sure I should go that way. Can't really think of an idea where students help facilitate their own learning for some of the lesson. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

cajunfrogdogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Ollie1

Old 11-03-2012, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I recently taught 2 digit by 2 digit multiplication and really focused on decomposing the second number....I believe this is the partial products concept. I taught it using our math interactive notebooks, so it wasn't a really exciting lesson but it was really effective. I've never had the kids pick up on the concept so quickly! For example: with 25X32, have them write 2 multiplication problems with 25 as the top number. Then, have them decompose the second number...30 and 2. The key is that when they're multiplying 25 by 30, have them move the "0"over one place to the right so they're really just multiplying 25 by 3 and then just adding the "0" on the right. Then, have the multiply 25 by 2 and finally have them add the two products. Teaching them to move that "0" to the right and then add it at the end enabled almost all of my students to now be able to multiply 2 by 2 digits.
Ollie1 is offline   Reply With Quote

kimmarie

What is the difference between
Old 11-05-2012, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The distributive property and decomposing a number?
kimmarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Ollie1

Old 11-05-2012, 08:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I believe they're basically the same concept.
Ollie1 is offline   Reply With Quote