Help

Math & Science

Multiplication tables??

>

SunniDee

Multiplication tables??
Old 08-24-2012, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do your 5th and 6th graders know them by memory? It seems like we have way too many that don't know them! Do you think they are as important to learn as we once thought?
Just looking for other's thoughts.....
Thanks!

SunniDee is offline   Reply With Quote

gunther922

I teach 5th grade and I think it is important
Old 08-24-2012, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

that they know them. It's the basis for all computation. It really slows them down if they do not know them because they either have to look at a chart or have to re-do problems because their math is wrong. 99% of the time kids are getting problems wrong because they don't know their math facts. It does seem as though more and more students each year do not know them.
gunther922 is offline   Reply With Quote

Who Dat

Multiplication Facts
Old 08-25-2012, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am having the same problem with my 5th graders. If they don't know their math facts then they will fall behind in the computation of future problems. I am doing a challenge in my class. If they master their multiplication facts by the day we leave for Christmas break we will have an ice cream party. So, every day until then we take 1 minute timed quiz. We did the 5s Friday and I still had 1/2 the class not know them. Frustrating.... I use a communicator with a chart in it and they use a dry erase marker to mark their answer and then it is checked by another student. They like the challenge.
Who Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

penguin1113

Old 09-13-2012, 04:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach 4/5/6 combined. My 4th and 5th grader don't know how to multiply. Out of my three 6th graders, only 1 has a majority of her multiplication table memorized. The other 2 have to use a chart.

I think it's important to have them memorized. Like a PP said, it's good for basic computation. I always ask my students if they are going to pull out a multiplication chart when they're 20 to figure out 5 x 5. They always giggle at that.
penguin1113 is offline   Reply With Quote

quickfish

I think it's very important
Old 10-18-2012, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

not only for computation but for understanding explanations of new material. With a good knowledge of the basic facts, kids can look at an example and see why each number is where it is. Without the basic knowledge it's just a bunch of numbers.

quickfish is offline   Reply With Quote

squared

Very important
Old 10-18-2012, 08:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Students in 5th grade and up that are not fluent with their multiplication facts will struggle in math. It makes division,working with fractions, ratios, percents, etc. so much harder when you don't know your facts.
squared is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercury

My district? NO
Old 10-18-2012, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I wish they would make kids learn their times tables by rote like we had to because it hinders them so much in learning higher math. I have had 6-8th graders and even high-schoolers have to use a calculator to do simple multiplication such as 12X3 or 8X7. It's sad.

Last edited by Mercury; 10-18-2012 at 11:59 AM..
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote

SuzieCue

Old 06-10-2013, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have found that the number one thing that speeds math homework is KNOWING the multiplication/division AND the addition/subtraction tables. So many students do NOT know them completely and then they spend so much time trying to figure them out that it takes "forever" for them to finish their homework.
SuzieCue is offline   Reply With Quote