Help

Math & Science

Scientific method activities

>

sabal

Scientific method activities
Old 09-12-2012, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone have a new and exciting activity to do with 5th graders to prep them for science fair/scientific method and process???

sabal is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherGarden

There are a few things you could do...
Old 09-18-2012, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

These might be too easy for 5th grade, but maybe you could adjust them to make them fit:

1) Tic Tac Activity: talk to students about the word "dissolve." Tell students that you would like to figure out a way to dissolve a tic tac the most quickly. Talk about the conditions of a person's mouth that might make the tic tac dissolve: pressure, warmth, moisture, etc. Predict which factor has the biggest influence on a tic tac's dissolving rate. Try to re-create those conditions and test your hypothesis.

2) Magic Milk: pour warm milk in a paper plate or petri dish. Put drops of food coloring in the milk in the 12, 3, 6, and 9 positions. Using a Q-tip, tab a drop of liquid soap in the middle and watch the food coloring explode in the milk. That's the demo part. Now ask students to think of investigatable questions about this demo. When my kids did it, they asked questions like, "what would happen if we added two drops of soap?" and "what would happen if we used skim milk?" Students had to come up with their own experiment and I approved it before they started. Every lab group tested a different question, and then we shared our results with the group at the end.

3) Alka Seltzer Dissolving Experiment: Give students an alka seltzer tablet and ask them to drop it in a cup of water and time how long it takes to stop fizzing. Students could come up with questions about this demo: "What would happen if we changed the water to sprite?" "What would happen if we started with warm water?" "What would happen if we filled the cup with more liquid?" etc. Let students test their questions and share the results with the class.

I hope these help!
TeacherGarden is offline   Reply With Quote

WedgeRocks

Old 10-05-2012, 06:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't know if they helped the original poster, but I think they will be fun to do with both my 5th graders and possibly the 4th & 3rd graders.
WedgeRocks is offline   Reply With Quote