Help

Math & Science

Go Math

>

CKathyteach

Go Math
Old 10-30-2012, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello. Is anyone using Go Math? We adopted it this year K-5 and as a whole, we are a bit concerned with the order concepts are presented in,and are simply boggled by some of the things they are presenting to students. Is anyone else out there finding the same issues,or is it just us? any and all comments about Go Math are welcomed! TIA!

CKathyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

teachandtri

Go Math
Old 11-06-2012, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our district also has GO Math. This is the 3rd year for it. I teach 3rd grade and we jump around in the book. Our order goes: Ch 1, 3/5 combo, 4/6 combo, ch 2, ch 7, ch8, ch 11, ch 9, ch 10, and then ch 12. I know that 2nd grade also teaches add/subtracting together. What I don't like is our pacing. We go to fast and then spend a lot of time reteaching. It is better since we are teaching mult/division together.
teachandtri is offline   Reply With Quote

penguin1113

Old 11-21-2012, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I used Go Math last year and I didn't like it. I felt that it was constant reteaching to the point where many of the students became bored and frustrated with the lessons. I also felt that the series didn't do that great of a job presenting some of the material. I'm a smart person, but I had to read through some lessons more than once to understand the concept/focus. A lot of it made me go "Huh? Why would you do it that way when another way is a lot easier?".
penguin1113 is offline   Reply With Quote

Squirl

Ugh!!
Old 01-27-2013, 11:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This makes me sad... My district is adopting the GO Math series for the upcoming school year. I was really excited because I HATE Everyday Math. EDM jumps from concept to concept WITHIN a single unit, let alone from one unit to the next. I am really glad that we are getting rid of EDM, but I was hoping for something that would coincide more with the standards. I guess we can't expect that much from a publishing company that is full of people that have never actually taught students...
Squirl is offline   Reply With Quote

jen_nup

Old 02-21-2013, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We piloted Go Math last year and bought it this year. We LOVE it and so do the kids! We had Growing with Mathematics before. Go Math is pretty rigorous and intense but, I think, totally matches the common core and the math practice standards. It teaches kids the "why" before it teaches them the actual algorithm. It has so many online resources and options for differentiation as well as interactive whiteboard lessons. It is taking some teachers and parents a bit of getting used to but for the most part we're seeing huge successes with it. I'm a big fan!

jen_nup is offline   Reply With Quote

Squirl

Old 02-22-2013, 10:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks, jen_nup!! That makes me feel a lot better about this! I know that I really just need to wait until they get the materials to us. They've already purchased the materials, so it is what it is. I just need to have the materials in my hands so I can wrap my head around it all. I'm sort of excited, but also anxious because I don't know what to expect of it. I've heard mixed reviews.
Squirl is offline   Reply With Quote

MOTeacher11

Old 04-03-2013, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Our district is looking into GO Math. My concern is it being a consumable. My thought is the kids are going to tear up the book and loose the pages. Do you have kids tear them out? I will be teaching 4-6 math next year. Moving up from 1st. I am just a little concerned as a parent and as a teacher. As a parent I like going back in the book with my daughter when she has trouble. If we don't have a book, just the pages from the book how can parents help?
MOTeacher11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Jan R

Jan R

Go Math
Old 04-24-2013, 04:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Our district is also looking at Go Math but we came across a program called iready and
Ready Common Core. It is amazing! It has workbooks for the students so the parents
can help at home. it is truly common core. It also has a digital program that looks really
good. You need to look at it before deciding because it has step by step instructions for
teachers that are overwhelmed by common core. It's made by a company called Curriculum
Associates. They have tons of products. I'm super excited about it. Crossing my fingers
we get that instead of Go Math!

BigDaddyBo

Old 05-19-2013, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I love Go Math.

Jen nup pretty much summed up my thoughts on it. It's rigorous and challenging, but my kids have made great gains.
BigDaddyBo is offline   Reply With Quote

SuzieCue

Old 06-10-2013, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I taught Go Math for the first time this last year to grades 3,4 and 5. There are 2 math "workbooks" which are paperback. They lasted quite well to all the wear and tear throughout the year without falling apart. I mandated that the pages NOT be torn out at any time for any reason. If they "fell" out then they were taped back into the book. The thicker book gave the how to pages and some in class practice with the new concept. The thinner book was a practice book. For each lesson it had two pages of work. The first page was practice. The second page had 6 problems--2 were the new concept and 4 were review of previous concepts.

The thing about Go Math that I liked was that the teacher could set up accounts for each student on-line at Think Central to act as a resource for the student or parent when they were at home. They could access both books in an on-line format so no excuse like "I left my math book at school" worked because they could find in on-line at home. It also had tutorials and interactive games for the student.

SuzieCue is offline   Reply With Quote
Flustered

Flustered

Sweating Go Math
Old 01-16-2015, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Yes, we too adopted Go Math in our District. It is a "Yikes!" I can't believe the things that Fourth Graders are being asked to do in one problem. I feel so for these children. Yet, I really don't know where to begin. I was told to go strictly by the text book and teacher books. However, there are so many teacher books and so much technology. Plus, the videos to go with the math are really sort of "dorky." I need help as well. I think many of us need help.

ArtsyFartsyII

Old 01-17-2015, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I find it to be very "wordy" and require patience and a lot of reading for kids. Some of the activities that want you to use manipulatives always feels kind of awkward and forced. The online stuff is fine but flash-based, so not useful on a tablet and the online book is great if you have a printer... but so many people don't that it's not as useful as you would think. They still have to supplement with things like Tenmarks because Go Math doesn't connect enough with the PARCC.
ArtsyFartsyII is offline   Reply With Quote