Help

Math & Science

Envisions - Struggle to differentiate

>

gunther922

Envisions - Struggle to differentiate
Old 10-30-2012, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will admit it, I need help with this. I start out whole class and before you know it, math time is over. I do manage to make it around to those struggling and help them but I feel very disorganized. Our program comes with center activities which I don't have time to put together. I have a lot of games I do play with the kids. Dice and card games for place value and menu shopping for adding decimals but that is it. I would love to hear how others manage their math time. I have 55 min. each day. Thanks!

gunther922 is offline   Reply With Quote

pink.sparkles

Old 10-30-2012, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't know if I could do it in 55 minutes. I have 90 min per day, and we always work right up until the end of the period. I do a quick check as the bell ringer in homeroom (so I guess I technically have 100 minutes...), then when we start math we do the "pose the problem" and read the objective, do a quick whole class lesson, then break out into small groups for stations.
pink.sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote

ilovesecond

I use Envisions also
Old 11-03-2012, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I run a math workshop because I have 90 minutes.
I have tried Envisions games but have stopped using them because they are limited in skill level and many are not fun to play over and over.
Instead, I use Mix& Match Math games (buy it as a resource book and cut it up)
and I also introduce games that can be played over and over and get harder and harder.
Then they last all year.
For instance, place value game- roll dice three times and make the largest number you can. Then your partner does the same. Higher number wins. Then, as the year goes on, adapt this very same game- 5 digits and must say the number aloud, 7 digits and write with commas, etc. Kids always like to outdo each other so games like this with simple materials and whiteboards are lifesavers.
I introduce new games during morning meeting. Then I don't use math workshop time for that.
Good luck!
ilovesecond is offline   Reply With Quote