Help

ARCHIVE

Morning Journal Writing? Help?

>

kaitiesaunt

Morning Journal Writing? Help?
Old 05-13-2009, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As I think about next year, I'm re-evaluating my morning work. This year kids begin arriving at 9:10 and school officially starts at 9:20. The kids write in a journal (either whatever they want, or if they can't think of anything I have a prompt written on the board.) I have parent volunteers in my classroom and I often need to talk to them about what they will be doing that day. I have found it difficult to get the kids going on their writing, and as soon as I am busy with a parent, they are again off task.

I have a writer's workshop block 3 afternoons each week, so they have other opportunities to write.

Any advice?

kaitiesaunt is offline   Reply With Quote

ms.gteacher

What has worked for me...
Old 05-13-2009, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have tried several different things throughout the school year and finally found something that keeps the kids on task.
I give my students a daily skills practice sheet and a phonics packet to complete in the morning. The packet contains about 3 pgs f/b copies of word searches, mixed up letters, and other "fun" activities. I use several phonics books to make the packets.
They are usually busy with the work for 10 mins. When they finish this they start writing in their journal or get a book and read.
ms.gteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

beckyg325

Old 05-13-2009, 08:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would suggest some kind of worksheet. I too give my kids a math worksheet (Math Minutes) that the kids love to do. Math Minutes is 10 simple math questions each day for 100 days that grow exceptionally more challenging for each minute. The M.M program really teaches the kids itself as the skills grow upon themselves. Something about worksheets keeps kids really engaged for the first 15 min of the day.
beckyg325 is offline   Reply With Quote

choochie61

morning work
Old 05-14-2009, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have an assignment for each morning and by the middle of the year athe kids know just what to do. My children each have a black composition book that is used for their morning work.. On Mondays, they write their weekend news. This works on proper grammar, spelling, capitolization, and punctuation. On Tuesdays, the kids choose 10 of their spelling words to use in complete sentences, On Wed. they have a Math skillsheet to complete...usually Math facts, addition, subtraction., on Thursday they have and Ela assignment...either writing in their journal forllowing a journal prompt or a phonics, grammar skillsheet, On Friday, the kids read and complete the back page of a Scholastic news or they do daily fixits...which is to fix 10 incorrect sentences.
This has worked great for me this year and he kids always know what to ge busy on when they first come in to school.
choochie61 is offline   Reply With Quote

christina4062

Drop In The Buckets!!!!!
Old 05-21-2009, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I LOVE having my kids do "Drop in the Bucket" worksheet pages and they like them too!

If you go to www.frog.com you can download sample pages.

My kids do a math sheet one day and the back has a reading sheet for the next day. I start with the first grade math and reading and we do that until the beginning of November and then we switch to the 2nd grade math and reading books. Once the kids learn the routine it is totally independent and it takes about 10 minutes. This is just enough time for me to check folders and homework in and then we correct it together.

I'd highly recommend them!!!!

christina4062 is offline   Reply With Quote