Help

Books, Guided Reading & Literature

Don't think they're reading

>

G123

Don't think they're reading
Old 02-05-2010, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I do lit circles with my kids, and I have been questioning how well some students are reading their assignments. I don't want to create comprehension worksheets for them each week, but it seems that I need to. Do any of you do quizzes over what the students are reading? I hate to take away the joy of lit circles by assigning more work, but some kids just aren't taking it seriously.

G123 is offline   Reply With Quote

J.Elaine

Old 02-05-2010, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Have you thought of doing that version of lit circles where everyone in the group has a specific job -- word wizard, illustrator, etc. You can tell I don't know much about it. I've gathered lots of info on the "roles" for lit circles but never actually tried it. I'm sure someone here on PT will be able to explain it all to you.

Here's another thought. Instead of comprehension questions, how about having them each write one thick and one thin question to bring with them to group? It might be interesting to try.

And yet another thought. I'm using a trifold that I got from someone on PT for my lower students. They keep track of the pages they read each day (in class) and write a short response. They are actually liking to do every day. I let them get together to just talk about their books now and then -- without me. They really love that part.
J.Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote

MiddlingAZ

lit circles
Old 02-05-2010, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
I have been questioning how well some students are reading their assignments
G, this is my question every day

I try to hold the lit circle members accountable and encourage good preparation in a couple of ways. Yes, I have worksheets they do for homework before circle day. Sometimes I do the roles-type sheets which Elaine mentioned, while other times I do use generic comprehension worksheets I find online, on PT, in trade books, or develop myself. I would love to build a collection of specific comprehension questions for every lit circle novel the students read--maybe next summer

Whichever type of preparation they do for homework, at the beginning of the circle period I have each group hold up their homework sheet so I can see completion and I do a quick visual check. Those are their first points on my circles seating chart; if one member's sheet is 1/2 done or missing, they lose group points. That puts some pressure on them and hopefully they will be prepared the next time the group meets. Next, I circulate and listen to discussions. Sometimes I question a specific student to extend what he/she saying and if I can tell they didn't do the reading or were lazy, I put a small checkmark on individual homework papers--I don't penalize the group for that. They do get group points for quality discussion (they are aware of the rubric). Sometimes I give them a different worksheet to discuss and complete during group. Finally, I do collect the homework and the discussion sheet for individual grades. I don't give quizzes because every group is reading a different novel, but I think whatever method makes them accountable and puts pressure on them to do close reading is, unfortunately, necessary.

Last edited by MiddlingAZ; 02-05-2010 at 12:56 PM..
MiddlingAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

glinda

Rubric
Old 02-12-2010, 08:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What type of rubric do you use for group discussion?
glinda is offline   Reply With Quote

CoolNana

Rubric
Old 02-21-2010, 07:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would love to see your rubric also. I am having the same issues.

CoolNana is offline   Reply With Quote