Help

Third Grade

Help with science

>

very excited

Help with science
Old 02-14-2010, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

HELP! I'm taking over for a teacher going on maternity leave. I'm supposed to start a unit on the solar system, but she didn't give me any guidance of what I should cover, how I should teach it.......... PLEASE HELP!

very excited is offline   Reply With Quote

dwfl

some ideas
Old 02-15-2010, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

First, I'd get a plan of sorts: do you have state standards of what to cover? Once you know that, then you can get some books from the library and start searching online. There is so much out there to do, you really need to narrow down your scope. For example, I just did this- we were only required to teach the sun and stars. So, we did some experiments I found in a library book about how distant objects appear small even though they are large, on solar and lunar eclipses, and learned basic information about stars. I brought in energy from the sun- light/heat, and how we use it on earth. I also did some experiments with light- reflection, refraction, opaque, transparent. We made an astronaut log book to record diagrams, definitions, etc. in. We are going to make paper plate sundials, too. Hope this helps!
dwfl is offline   Reply With Quote

m&m's

Planet PowerPoint
Old 02-16-2010, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I combine solar system research with learning powerpoints. I let the students choose a planet to research. Their assignment is to find 5 facts about their planet and 5 about the solar system by researching the internet. There are some great sites for students to use. Once they have completed the research they make a powerpoint to "advertise" visiting their planet for vacation. I use the powerpoint to assess how much students have learned. Each year I am amazed by the amount of information they learn.
m&m's is offline   Reply With Quote