Help

Third Grade

Whole Brain Teaching

>

myoung

Whole Brain Teaching
Old 07-22-2011, 04:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

While digging around looking for Morning Meeting stuff, I stumbled across this concept of Whole Brain Teaching (I know...I'm probably the last teacher on earth to hear about it!). This looks really cool! IF any of you use this in your classrooms, I have a few technical questions. The Rules: Do you print these and post them in your room? They are a little different than my typical classroom rules, but mine are pretty generic, so I think I could get away with both. I really want to try this, but so much of this year is going to be brand new for me and I"m a little hesitant to add one more new thing.

myoung is offline   Reply With Quote

tmar

Wbt
Old 07-22-2011, 04:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I didn't use the rules that much. I had posters for them but moved classrooms this year and I'm not planning on putting them up. I used mostly the Teach/OK and Class/Yes strategies, as well as teaching concepts with the hand signs. I would love to get some training on it, but live on the east coast and they don't come here much.
tmar is offline   Reply With Quote

lucybrown

Wbt
Old 07-22-2011, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I discovered WBT last December so I didn't begin the year with the rules. When I introduced them to the kids, I called them Best Practices for Learning. I briefly explained that we all use best practices - teachers, football players, etc. The kids got it. I'm still keeping my class rules - be respectful, caring, etc.

Yesterday someone started a Whole Brain Teaching group. Check it out. I'm sure there will be lots of sharing once school begins.
lucybrown is offline   Reply With Quote

myoung

Old 07-22-2011, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I will definitely check out the group. On the whole brain teaching site there was a free ebook you could download, and I plan to look through it this weekend. I do think I'll keep it simple for this year...too much change going on already

leonard

Old 07-22-2011, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Where do you find the group?

leonard is offline   Reply With Quote

myoung

Old 07-23-2011, 03:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If you go to the Home board of PT the groups are listed along the right side. I think you can click the "more" button at the top to see all of the groups.

mcwade3rd

Old 07-23-2011, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I do post the rules in my classroom. I had a vertical banner made by Vista Print.
mcwade3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teachgr3

The rules
Old 07-23-2011, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I completely use the rules just as wbt explains them. I LOVE the rules because for the first time I actively use them!!! Before the rule were just a poster hanginging my that we went over the first days of school and then they were too generic to actually apply. With WBT the students help you inforce the rules!!! For example, if someone tries to roam around with out permission, I just yell out "Rule 3!" and they all respond with "Raise you hand for permission to leave your seat!" I had never had rules that I could actively apply. I love it!
luv2teachgr3 is offline   Reply With Quote

m&m's

Wbt
Old 07-25-2011, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I LOVE whole brain teaching. I just came from a conference in West Plains, MO. It was free to attend and was the best conference I've ever been at. They are having one next year there too. It is more than just rules; its a more interactive style of teaching. I have taken it slow, just adding one piece of WBT at a time. It can be overwhelming, if you try to do everything. The rules would be a great place to start and I would post them. It will change your teaching...and I'm positive you will love it.

Last edited by m&m's; 07-25-2011 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: wrong web address
m&m's is offline   Reply With Quote