Help

ARCHIVE

Do you give tests for Science/SS?

>

MrsCrystal

Do you give tests for Science/SS?
Old 07-20-2007, 09:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As in, students have to study which NA tribes used which types of houses, ate what foods, etc.; or be able to label all the parts of a plant, and then take a test on it?

How much memorization do you require, or do you make your tests open book/notes?

Or do you stick to projects and other types of assessment at this age?

MrsCrystal is offline   Reply With Quote

m&m's

Science Testing
Old 07-20-2007, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes- I give traditional tests for Science, my partner teacher gives tests in SS. However, we also have students complete projects and reports. I feel this varied approach covers all the different types of learners in the classroom. Not everyone is a "test taker" and I feel students often know more than what they show on a test. Test format includes multiple choice, true/false, short answer, labeling, and fill in the blank, at different times.

If I assign a project or report, I give a rubric ahead of time that specifically states what I am looking for. I use the score on the rubric in place of a test grade.

Examples: Science- Students had to create a drawing of the water cycle, complete with labels and arrows. Then they wrote a story about being a drop of water traveling through the water cycle.

In SS, the teacher had them research a specific NA tribal house and then recreate it. The houses looked great!

MM
m&m's is offline   Reply With Quote

FLteacherAMM

Yes
Old 07-20-2007, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do give tests and also do some projects. Usually the day or so before the test, we'll do a review and sometimes I'll make a review sheet to fill out as we go over things so they can study. However for the most part, I let them use their books. I usually even use almost the same questions as the review, just worded differently and in a different order.
FLteacherAMM is offline   Reply With Quote

Mich5772

Giving Tests
Old 07-20-2007, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

No, I do not give tests. Instead I usually do some type of culminating activity that incorporates all the objectives for the unit. The activity could be done independently, in partners, or in a group.
Mich5772 is offline   Reply With Quote

FLteacherAMM

I like
Old 07-20-2007, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

the idea of a culminating activity, too. In fact, my district just created a performance activity for the end of each 9 weeks. It's a good idea for the students to be able to sum up what they've used by producing something, and not just being able to locate it in a book (which is useful also for test taking strategies).

FLteacherAMM is offline   Reply With Quote

Illinois Packer Fan

Old 07-20-2007, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I give traditional tests for both science and social studies. The kids are given study guides. The tests are not open note or open book.
Illinois Packer Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

sara618

Old 07-20-2007, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We give tests in both Science and SS. I send home study guides and other review materials for several days before the test. They can also bring home their interactive notebooks to study from. Being both Science and SS are tested in 3rd grade here it is a good way to help them prepare. Not always my top choice, but a neccessity.

Sara
sara618 is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 07-20-2007, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I do tests, projects, and computer things. Tests mainly because in 4th grade Sci and SS are promotional and I want them to have testing experience before they get there.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

No formal tests
Old 07-20-2007, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We do not give content area tests in my school in the primary grades. We do projects and cooperative work, and the students do self-reflection as well. We are not giving letter grades in s.s. and science on our report cards. If we had to, we probably would need a more formal assessment.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mgf91280

A little bit of everything
Old 07-21-2007, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I give the traditional book tests in Social Studies and Science: usually I have my kids use a study guide (that they made) on the test. Or I make the tests open-book. I also really love to incorporate projects as well.

Because these subjects are difficult for my ESOL students, I weigh workbook pages', tests', and projects' grades equally. The higher workbook page grades balance out with the lower test grades.

mgf91280 is offline   Reply With Quote