Help

Second Grade

Daily Five Math/Small Group Math

>

gramir

Daily Five Math/Small Group Math
Old 01-23-2012, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking to develop a "daily five" math structure. Does anyone know of great resources to get started? I looked on Amazon and a few stood out-Guided Math and Math Stations.
Thanks in advance.

gramir is offline   Reply With Quote

blbteach

Guided Math
Old 01-23-2012, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It is the way to go! Working in small groups, kids practicing skils while you are not with them. It takes some time to get kids ready to work in stations, but once they get it, it is so much more powerful than whole group. Love it!
blbteach is offline   Reply With Quote

tripteach

math stations
Old 01-23-2012, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have done this with my class for about 5 years now and I love it! I have them split into 3 groups. Our groups are as follows:
teacher station where they learn new things ( our lesson from our math TE)
practice station where students are practicing the things I teach in small group, and reviewing past skills and it is very independent.
games group where students are practicing skills and strategies in a very hands-on format.

For the games station I use Debbie Dillers Math Stations book. She has fabulous ideas for my stations. I also use many online resources. The trick for this group is that I NEVER EVER put anything in my stations unless they have been introduced during the teacher group.

The students simply rotate to the next station each time I ring my chimes. The students go to each station each day. They spend about 20 minutes at each station.

For the last 20 minutes we do calendar and "talk about math" time. Our total time in math is about 70-80 minutes per day. Let me know if you want more info!
tripteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Jules019

tripteach
Old 01-23-2012, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Just a few questions for you..

Do you have your children build stamina? If so, how?

Also do you organize your items the way Debbie does in her book? Do you make the choices for students or do they select which games/activities they want to do?

Just curious as I am testing this out this year and it definitely takes some practice. Looking to move even more towards the workshop model next school year.

TIA!
Jules019 is offline   Reply With Quote

acannonnw

math
Old 01-28-2012, 06:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

wow..this would work great...I think I have the same questions as the other...are they student selected or specific..'work on this'? My math time has been falling apart and I think this would fix it...

acannonnw is offline   Reply With Quote

tripteach

math groups
Old 01-28-2012, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
Do you have your children build stamina? If so, how?
Yes, I have them build stamina, but more importantly I develop a an Independence Chart (like daily 5) to help the students understand my expectations during each round. '
Quote:
Also do you organize your items the way Debbie does in her book? Do you make the choices for students or do they select which games/activities they want to do?
During game time, I have 4 baskets set in my classroom with 2 students at each basket. In each basket there are games and activities that practice the skills that we are working on for that month. Each basket has 2-4 different activities in it. Although I assign which basket each partnership (also assigned) uses, they may choose together which activities/games to play. The partners are assigned spots in the classroom and I then move the baskets around every two days.

Not sure if this is making sense without being able to show and talk to you...
tripteach is offline   Reply With Quote