The VENT

Secret video

>

Signedout

Signedout

Secret video
Old 03-29-2012, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had my conference with my principal concerning her observation today. At some point she casually mentioned that she videoed me with her iPad. I was shocked. It seems to me that people should at least have the courtesy of asking if we mind being videoed? I don't really care that it was her formal observation. When she asked me if I wanted to see it, I said no, thanks.

Ilvtching

Old 03-29-2012, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Is that even legal? I would be a bit concerned about that...might be worth checking into if the eval didn't go as planned.

I am a very worried type person and would worry it could be edited or something if she wanted to get rid of me.
Ilvtching is offline   Reply With Quote

grannyg

Would make me nervous.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would think you would be entitled to a copy - same as a copy of her observations and remarks. I'd want to see it, know what her comments regarding it are, your response to that which you should also have a copy of that you both sign off on, and then I'd ask for her to email me the copy as soon as you're done viewing it so that you are both seeing/archiving the same thing. It's very easy to edit videos. I'd also hope she is ethical enough or that your district has a policy that nothing of that nature be posted online anywhere without your written permission. I think that's no different than anyone who tapes another for any reason without their knowledge. You never know who might be setting someone up to look bad in certain situations and you don't know who will interpret something differently than how it was originally presented. I don't mean to sound paranoid, but I think you should definitely see it.
grannyg is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

may be covered
Old 03-29-2012, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

P may be covered.if there are signs in building that video and security cameras are in use. In my state that is all the forewarning they have to give. Where I used to work they sometimes installed tiny cameras over peoples desks or in restricted areas to catch employees. I do think you need to get a copy!
subczy is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 03-29-2012, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would also want to ask who else will be getting access to the video, and where it will end up? Archived where????!

apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

GdHrtdTchr

I believe
Old 03-29-2012, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have a video camera in my classroom. The truth is, it's not connected to anything and it has never recorded anything all year. However, I have the kiddos convinced that "I've got them on tape" which is a risk if I ever got called to show the tape for some reason. But, for us it has worked. As far as the legality, it has always been my understanding that recording something is legal (in an environment that is not considered 'private' such as a locker room or changing room) so long as those likely to be videotaped are informed. For this reason, I have a sign outside my door stating that this room is a technology room and video surveillance may be in use. (Note the word "May".) One day, a student asked me if it was legal. "What if my mom doesn't want me to be videotaped." I pointed out that it was important that they be informed of the video usage and that I had done this. I also said, "What if your mom doesn't want you being video taped at Target or Sears. This is 2012 and cameras are almost everywhere. However, I added that the right to record is different from the right to show. That if she acted the fool and I played it on youtube (which of course I wouldn't) that I would be out of order. Since it's not really recording anyway, it's just to deter theft and major foolishness.

As for your princ -- I think I would feel a bit violated. I think you'd have a right to at least know ahead of time. I think, like the PP, I would ask for a copy. I wonder if the idea is just to help the princ be thorough, like how we use to tape record kids as they read for running records -- for improved accuracy.

Did you get any verbal/written feedback? I guess that's what I'd care most about. If the review was positive, I could get past the recording faster.

Last edited by GdHrtdTchr; 03-30-2012 at 04:10 AM..
GdHrtdTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

gymbob

Old 03-29-2012, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would ask your union rep the policy on the administration video taping observations. I would hope your district had a policy on this, if not they need one.

If you want to cover yourself you can ask her to send you a copy but I would not worry about the video being used for negative purposes.
gymbob is offline   Reply With Quote

pen&paper

Old 03-29-2012, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Does it make sense for you to get a copy, just to see what your principal will also be seeing? You could go back and ask for it by saying something like, "I decided I'd like to get a copy of the taping because I know I can always learn ways to improve."

As part of the process for me to get certified, I had to be videotaped. I actually found it interesting and helpful. Still, I'd find that pretty scary because she didn't ask.
pen&paper is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 03-29-2012, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I would not like that, and would look into whether this is legal in your area, since laws are not the same everywhere. Most places will allow videotaping (just the video, not the sound part) in public places, which your classroom would likely be viewed as (it has windows where people can see into, etc).

There may be some legalities around whether the videotaping equipment was hidden or easily viewable. I think videoing with an ipad would be considered hidden, since it's not like a video camera set up on a stand where you know it's a video. There also may be some issues if the video contained sound. In many places, it is not legal to audiotape someone without their consent.

Then again, it could be legal to use both a hidden camera and to use sound, as long as it's not in a "private" area (private meaning a place like a changing room or a bathroom). A classroom would not be considered private.

I would check online for your state laws around videotaping employees, and ask your union, if you have one. I wouldn't like being videotaped without my knowledge, though.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Signedout

Signedout

Old 03-30-2012, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

The main reason I did not ask for a copy was that she rated me overall at level 3, which is highly proficient. She had no concerns whatsoever about my performance as a teacher. My main gripe is at I felt violated with the video taken without my permission. I would like to find out if we can decline videoing, and this is something I will pursue next year, since that was my last observation of the year.

pen&paper

Old 03-30-2012, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Why not ask your question now, when you're feeling good. You may not want to ask that question next year.

PS, I still suggest you ask for a copy.
pen&paper is offline   Reply With Quote