Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Any diabetics out there?

>

pteach55

Any diabetics out there?
Old 04-01-2012, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

DH has been labeled as such by his endocrinologist for several years, because his blood tests come back at the very high end of normal or borderline. No meds other than Metformin. He doesn't eat sweets. I try to good nutritional meals, but I really struggle with side dishes. He's worried about carbs, so no potatoes, rice, noodles???? We have wheat spaghetti instead of regular. He goes for a blood test tomorrow so he's extra aggravated about the carbs. If you are or cook for a diabetic, could you tell me about some of the meals you have prepared?
Thanks.

sunflwr508

Diabetic Friendly Food
Old 04-01-2012, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have type 1 and am on an insulin pump, so I do have more flexibility in what I eat. However, the proportions that I learned to follow are as follows: Half of the plate should always be filled with veggies (greens, not potatoes ), one quarter should be a lean protein and the other quarter should be carbohydrate (such as potato, rice, pasta, bread, etc.)
It's a good way for all people to practice eating, not just diabetics.
Good luck to your husband and you!

pen&paper

Old 04-01-2012, 08:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Type 1 diabetic here too. Rather than focus on what you can't eat, switch your thinking to what you can. Try to enjoy complex carbs, like fruits and vegies, rather than rice/potatoes/pasta. Start meal-planning there. Also try to eat smaller portions. A smaller plate really helps to make meals look larger and nowadays, I always replace my dinnerplate with a luncheon plate. It's good that he doesn't eat too many sweets, but sadly everything turns into glucose. The speed at which it metabolizes is the difference of good/bad ... (oranges are much better than oj) and that's why complex carbs are healthier.

Finally, did you see 60 minutes on CBS tonight, "Sugar is toxic". Scary, because so much of sugar is bad for everyone.