Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Is this offensive to you?

>

BioAdoptMom3

Is this offensive to you?
Old 03-31-2012, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is Happy Easter offensive to you? I heard this yesterday after putting it at the end of a parent letter about our Easter egg hunt. I also had Happy Spring! Let me clarify that our entire school is probably 95% caucasion and protestant/Catholic. In my grade level we have NO Jehovah's Witnesses, Jewish families or Muslims (I don't think we have any in our school actually). I also look at it this way - even if someone is a non-believer, wouldn't he or she probably still do Easter baskets for their child(ren), chocolate bunnies, participate in egg hunts and/or Easter dinner with the family? I know Easter is basically a Christian holiday, but like Christmas it is also celebrated in a secular way.

Nancy

cheerio

Old 03-31-2012, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Not offensive to me but I am Catholic sooo...

mes

No
Old 03-31-2012, 07:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Good grief, people need to just get over themselves!

Kendall

Old 03-31-2012, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If they are doing Easter baskets....they are celebrating Easter. It doesn't matter if it is tied in with religion or not...they are partcipating in what is called "Easter."

teenytiny

Old 03-31-2012, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Easter is definitely celebrated by many as a secular holiday (as is Christmas). For that reason, I would not consider it offensive to say "Happy Easter".

canteach

No, but I am a Christian.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think if someone is offended, he/she will have to call your attention to it and you will have to say you did not mean to offend him/her. I doubt it will happen very often. After all, I expect the majority of your students (if not all) celebrate the holiday in some way and they/their parents are your target audience.

GreyhoundGirl

Old 03-31-2012, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

First, let me say I'm Jewish and I don't necessarily find it offensive but it drives my parents crazy when they hear "Merry Christmas" at every store they go into the entire month of December (while not the same thing you get the idea). You clearly know your audience and know you don't have anyone who's Jewish or a Jehova's witness. If you're truly worried about offending people wouldn't it have been easier to just say, "Happy Spring"? I'm not being snarky-I'm truly asking

For the record-Christmas is NOT celebrated in a secular way. That I DO take offense to. I tolerate it because the rest of the world has given me no other choice (well...I could hide under a rock from Halloween to New Year's). I have nothing to do with a Christmas tree, music, Jesus Christ, etc. I also have NOTHING to do with Easter; no eggs, no bunnies, no hunts, etc. These are not secular holidays, these are Christian holidays.

mes-I find that comment somewhat offensive. I don't think people need to "get over themselves" for their beliefs.

Munchkins

Old 03-31-2012, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have a Pakistani child who is as excited as the rest to go to the town Easter Egg hunt next weekend. Happy Easter to all, regardless of what you celebrate! Offensive? Not at all. I wouldn't be insulted if someone wished me a Happy Ramadan, or Happy Passover. I would say thank you, and accept any good wishes that came my way.

subczy

xmas rule
Old 03-31-2012, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Anyone who complained about Easter had better not have celebrated Xmas

teenytiny

Old 03-31-2012, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
For the record-Christmas is NOT celebrated in a secular way. That I DO take offense to.
Greyhoundgirl, I'm sorry you feel this way, but you cannot dictate how other people celebrate holidays. I am not a Christian and I celebrate Christmas. Many other non-Christians I know do the same. I grew up with Jewish friends who celebrated with a tree and stockings, and once had a Muslim student who told me they had a Christmas tree up. I've had many students who celebrate both Christmas and Hanukkah.

So, regardless of how you personally view the holiday, Christmas is most certainly celebrated in a secular way by many, many people.

Mr Sensai

Old 03-31-2012, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'd be baffled why I was told Happy Easter...

Offended no. Just wondering if other religions get equal time though as it seems like the school is promoting one religion over another.

Quote:
Many other non-Christians I know do the same.
Yup the vast majority of Asia celebrates Christmas in a non religious way. Japan celebrates it as a lovers holiday.

Top Cat

It has become rather secular
Old 03-31-2012, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have a Hindu child in my class, who is looking forward to an Easter egg hunt next weekend.

Kendall

Bottom line....melting pot
Old 03-31-2012, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

We live in America where people have free speech. There are many cultures and religious beliefs. If we were always concerned about every single person and their beliefs- we wouldn't have any common holiday sayings...period. If you don't have any beliefs tied with "whatever" just say "Happy Holidays" or "Yes, Happy Spring." I don't get offended when someone says "Happy Hannakah." I just realize that they have a different holiday to celebrate. I never call them out on it. To each...his own! Bottom line, no matter what their religion, during that time of year, you are wishing them well, right!

Who me?

Old 03-31-2012, 08:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I don't know why everyone is offended and angry about stupid stuff. Why would that be offensive? Why would Happy Holidays be offensive? I truly don't get some people.

Redundancy

Jewish Friend
Old 03-31-2012, 08:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I never thought about Easter in an offensive way until a Jewish friend of mine expressed such offense to some Easter decorations that the town had set up on her street.

She went on a mini rant about how she was forced to sing Christmas songs in concerts at school and now as an adult, she was forced to ignore the eggs and the bunnies that symbolized a faith that was not her own. She did not seem to view these objects in a secular way, even though I tried to explain that eggs and bunnies were non-religious aspects of the Christian faith.

As a Christian, I find great faith in Easter and view it as a religious holiday. I do not think that it should be forced upon non-believers.

Last edited by Redundancy; 04-01-2012 at 06:17 AM..

Suspended

janeypoo

Suspended
?????
Old 03-31-2012, 08:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Uh no. I was confused and thinking "Do Christians prefer Merry Easter or something?" . It is a pagan holiday named after a ancient goddess that carried over into Christianity. Usually the people offended hate anything that is pagan related, which is kind of everything. No one should be offended by it unless your card actually said "Happy Easter( unless you don't celebrate, then you are probably just going to hell anyway and have bigger problems than my letter.)" THAT is offensive. But blessings and well wishes are not offensive and if people get offended then they have bigger problems in their lives OR they think they are fighting some kind of holy war and get brownie points in the end. I don't know....maybe some one can fill us in because I am not getting it.

The things that people call "secular" are usually the pagan traditions adopted into the now Christian holiday, and Easter is probably the most tied to its pagan roots major holiday left. It still has all the old symbols of fertitlity. That is the truth. It's all still there. It's the least "adapted" that I can see, anyway, with the exception of Halloween which is such a mismash of so many origins that it is kind of hard to tell. You would actually have to go to church to see or notice Christian adaptations to it or hear Christians talk about it to notice because it is not even Christian in name . It still bears the name (slightly altered) of the ancient fertility godesses celebrated when it originated.

I think everyone should get to express their views without putting out anothers. Instead everyone thinks there is a winner and it's a last group standing kind of thing and it messes things up for everyone.

Last edited by janeypoo; 03-31-2012 at 09:22 PM..

rlyndecker

Honestly...
Old 03-31-2012, 08:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I am with GreyhoundGirl on this. My mom is the same way, she would be VERY offended. I grew up Jewish. Personally, I do NOT celebrate Christmas or Easter in anyway. BUT if someone were to wish me a "Happy Easter", honestly I really don't care but some people do & I really don't see anything wrong with "Happy Spring Break". I used to write "Merry Christmas" on my letters to the kids until I had a Jehnovah's witness student (didn't know it until Christmas!).

No, schools do NOT give equal time to equal religions, therefore there is no reason why we as educators can't use generic words/projects. I let my students make stockings for Christmas but I don't call them "Christmas Stockings", they are just a fun project. If they choose to use it for Christmas great, if not great too.

Again, I am NOT offended but I do know people who are and yes, it is sort of "get over it" but on the flip side, for the majority of us, we live in America where it is a TRUE melting pot and everyone deserves to have their own beliefs!

Suspended

janeypoo

Suspended

Old 03-31-2012, 09:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Unfortunately, I use the generic and people get mad at me. It's almost like you have to know the exact preference of every family. You are damned if you do, damned if you don't. I guess you might as well say nothing at all. Happy Holidays was almost taken as "Screw you!" by some people.You cannot win. All kinds of teachers in my district posted the FB funny about a kid getting sent to the office for saying "Christmas" but really both sides of the whole situation get treated like crap. The whole thing just stinks! I am not Christian in the least but I hope we get to put down those grudges because it is just screwing every happy thing we have up on all sides.

"Oh, we can't say this? You can't say that. "

It's like we are adopting a void instead of a real melting pot. It's a freezing pot where everyone must deny we are different and be kept as an icy solid so as not to mix and share at all.
It's getting really weird. I guess for now don't say anything at all about anything cultural or religious other than teaching it as an outsider from the perspective of a textbook. WOuldn't it be cool if humanity really could enjoy everything together and have an equinox/Diwali/Easter/Everything else party? Wouldn't it be cool if I knew all the other views instead of just the ones I have personally been exposed to? I don't even know because we are too scared to even share it together.

Last edited by janeypoo; 03-31-2012 at 09:16 PM..

GraceKrispy

Old 03-31-2012, 09:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I don't think that phrase is offensive from a friend or a person in the community, but coming from a school, some parents might view it differently. I know lots on PT feel very strongly that it's ok and good to celebrate all Christian holidays in the school because most people are Christian (according to the posts I've read). I can see how it would be offensive for those who don't celebrate it, especially when equal opportunity isn't given to holidays they may celebrate. I don't agree that nonbelievers would probably still do Easter baskets or whatnot for their kids. Sure, some do, but many do not. Of course, in the case of your letter, it appears your school approves an Easter egg hunt, which might be offensive in action to some parents right there.

Was it a parent who thought the "Happy Easter" comment was offensive? If so, then there is someone in your school who does not celebrate, regardless of having not Muslim, Jewish, or Jehovah's Witness families. I'd keep that in mind for future notes home. Was it a teacher or a friend who said it's offensive?

teenytiny

Old 03-31-2012, 09:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Quote:
I wouldn't be insulted if someone wished me a Happy Ramadan, or Happy Passover. I would say thank you, and accept any good wishes that came my way.
I completely agree. I am happy to take well wishes regardless of whether I personally celebrate a certain holiday, or not. I cannot figure out how the idea that somebody else follows a religion different from my own would be offensive.

teenytiny

Old 03-31-2012, 09:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Quote:
It's like we are adopting a void instead of a real melting pot. It's a freezing pot where everyone must deny we are different and be kept as an icy solid so as not to mix and share at all.
It's getting really weird.
Word. I find this a real shame.

Mr Sensai

Old 03-31-2012, 09:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Quote:
we live in America where it is a TRUE melting pot and everyone deserves to have their own beliefs!
Quote:
We live in America where people have free speech. There are many cultures and religious beliefs
Then why was the cultural centre in NYC seen as wrong and evil by the majority of Americans?

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...WS0lXuAnQau5uL

I am all for people having their own beliefs. It just seems to me one belief is more important than the other. I also find it wrong that a government/public run institution is promoting one religion over another (or promoting religion at all for that matter)

Also, since the majority on here are female how would you feel if your school ignored any studies about important women and taught about men only and did activities and parties celebrating men? Then be baffled why anyone would dare complain about celebrating/promoting men over women? How would the girls in the class feel if only men were mentioned? What if a parent complained and was told to "get over it"

My point is the kid who is Jewish/Hindu/Muslim/Buddhist at the school feels like their beliefs are of lesser importance than the one that is promoted.

rhubarb

Old 03-31-2012, 10:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I would not even mind Holy Easter!

Suspended

janeypoo

Suspended

Old 03-31-2012, 10:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

But what if the school got so afraid of mentioning men more than women because of their past neglect so no teacher was able to mention people ..ever...not even to say they wish well on humanity? I get not wanted religion being shoved down people's throats. My daughter is not getting a preschool experience because there are only religious schools available at that age here and I don't want that. But to not even be able to innocently mention it ever? And it's not just in school. That's a fine line, really...but what bothers me is no one can mention anything religious or cultural at any time without making people upset.Even athiests get slammed for saying they are athiests because everyone is so insulted by mear mentionings of beliefs. The majority of people are not offended by Happy Holidays, Happy Ramidan, Happy Spring...but the handful that are silence everyone. And there is not compromise but silence that will make everyone happy, and even silence is offensive to some. I have no religion at all, but the anger behind it bothers me, especially when it is something said in innocence.. I get wanting your views represented. I get not wanting your kids exposed to it before they can truly speak for themselves...but as an innocent salutation by a well meaning person? I can't get it. I can't. It was innocent and well meaning and not something to be angry about. If she taught her faith to my child as truth and the only way, I would be angry. But that was not her intent and NOT what happened here. We should not be angered by good intentions, especially one line at the end of a letter meant as a simple seasonal closing. Ready to educate? Possibly. If it becomes less than a personalized greeting and more of a political statement ( realized by religious endings of many take home letters), maybe then get angry. But one ending of one letter? Let it slide.

I do not belong to a religion so I am not endorsing one or even think endorsing one over the other consistantly is okay. But one mention is not harmful to anyone, especially one secular (and to me Easter is secular, bunnies and eggs have NOTHING to so with Jesus at all and I celebrate it just because it is fun) line that COULD be taken as a religious one DEPENDING on how you look at it, especially since it was included with another ending that would fit everyone.

Last edited by janeypoo; 03-31-2012 at 10:46 PM..

Mr Sensai

Old 03-31-2012, 10:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Janeypoo line breaks puhleeese!

Seriously though I see your point about the irrational fear but the school should know better.

I also don't feel the mention of religion is innocent. I feel it is a push to make it acceptable and mainstream. If not then why are the religious right against teaching about homosexual people in school? The argument is oh the poor kids are impressionable and they will think being gay is Ok. Hmmm...

I strongly feel government and religion have no business being together. I don't want a government institution promoting one over another.

Who/what groups is offended by Happy Spring or Happy Holidays?

Suspended

janeypoo

Suspended

Old 03-31-2012, 10:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

1. Buzz off about the line breaks, you aren't the boss of me!...
2. She didn't mention religion (Christians really aren't the only ones that celebrate Easter), she didn't push it by simply wishing it to be happy, she is one woman and not the government but a human lady who actually meant well, and it was innocent because she did not think of it as religous so if anything she might be ignorant in the views of some, but not in mine and it was a closing to one letter, and one mention is not "pushing" religion, especially since it was a letter to adults letting them know and thanking them for events that took place and not "pushed" on the children.
3. Extreme conservates and some Christians get offended at Happy Holidays. I can't tell you why,but they do. Some businesses started saying ONLY Merry Christmas as not to offend. It was a big deal this last winter here.

Mr Sensai

Old 03-31-2012, 11:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Quote:
1. Buzz off about the line breaks, you aren't the boss of me!...
I should start calling you Janey "Wall of text" poo

Quote:
she didn't push it by simply wishing it to be happy, she is one woman and not the government but a human lady who actually meant well,
No but the picture it paints is this school promotes ___ over ___. I don't think OP has evil intentions at all. OP asked if it would offend and I can see how it could.

Its the same as city hall having a nativity scene. I recall seeing it in the USA and assumed/felt the city had an official religion or was saying Christianity is backed by the government here.

Quote:
Extreme conservates and some Christians get offended at Happy Holidays.
Odd. I mean there are other holidays in that time span.

Miller

Old 04-01-2012, 12:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I don't follow a religion, but I do Easter and Christmas because I was grown up with it and my kids love it.

It's all so commercial now anyway.

None of that offends me. I don't even get offended when people say "God Bless" at the check out line.

curlygirl2

People
Old 04-01-2012, 03:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

need to get over this being offended thing. I am annoyed, frankly when people tell me, "Have a great holiday." It sounds like I am going on a vacation in England!

Instead, why don't people just say, "Have a good day!" like usual and cut doing all of the holiday stuff! Maybe it would solve all of these problems!

PrivateEyes

I agree with you, Janeypoo
Old 04-01-2012, 03:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

This is a topic where a few people, determined to be offended, have made it difficult for all of the rest of us. You can't say "Happy Easter" or "Merry Christmas" because that might offend someone who does not celebrate? Why is that offensive? On the other hand, a generic greeting is likely to offend the believers? Can't they understand that some people are just trying to be pleasant without being accused of being offensive?

As for me, wish me "Happy Ramadan," or "Good Channukah", or "Happy Sabbath," (whether on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday) and I will respond in kind.

As a child, I lived very near a mosque in Morocco, and heard the call to prayer many times daily. I came to enjoy and appreciate the devoutness of my Muslim neighbors, even though I did not share their faith. I was not offended when invited to celebrate the end of Ramadan with a large feast, and was able to enjoy it wholeheartedly. I was not offended by the religious decorations of palm leaves on every major thoroughfare.

I also lived in Australia and attended an Australian public school, as did many American children. Even though the population of the school was about 50% American, and 50% Australian (near a military base), we never tried to stop the school from requiring us to sing "God Save the Queen." I love that song. I even love the queen! Australian public schools also had religious training, and I attended that, even though they taught things differently that the faith of my parents.

So, frankly, I think it is more the problem of the the uber-sensitive person who expects everyone to A) pretend these celebrations are not going on or B) know the religious preference and celebration preference of every person he is acquainted with.

I think those who are offended by mere holiday greetings of any ilk need to learn to be more open and accepting of diversity.

funkster

Old 04-01-2012, 04:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I disagree about "America is the melting pot" America in my opinion is just a "salad." Nothing really melts together, we all have our separate individual beliefs and rituals and they are not actually blended at all. What I am saying is, for instance, that when Christians live with a large community of Jewish people, they don't, to my knowledge, start adding Passover activities to their Easter celebration. They may visit a friend for a Passover dinner, but they don't start doing it at home.
As for eggs, chicks, bunnies=yes it did come from pagan rituals but honestly, I never ever saw blow up bunnies, cute baskets and colored eggs and thought or said-Oh, what cute pagan decorations! And neither did anyone else I ever met. (not to say that the poster does not think or say that)
I would not be offended by "Happy Easter" at the end of a letter even though I am not a Christian. I would, because of the area where I live, be confused as to why a teacher would not be more aware that everyone is not a Christian, or that Christianity is not the official religion of our country. I think "Happy Spring" is a rather awkward saying. I would wonder why the letter didn't end the same as all the others- Kind regards, Sincerely etc.
But that is just the person I am...wondering, wondering, curious.
I would never contact the teacher to say it was offensive. Not everyone is calm, and open to hearing a negative comment. Some, I am afraid to say would be defensive and just say or think "I have a right to my religion and can say "Happy Easter" whenever I want, or they might be defensive and say-"she needs to get over herself, she has bigger problems she should deal with" How would that help the situation???
BTW-if I sent that letter out, I wouldn't have time to worry about the "Happy Easter" I probably would be in the P's office explaining why I was having all my students participate in a religious based activity. Please don't try to explain that Easter egg hunts are secular and Muslims, Hindu and other religious groups just love, love, love to do them. I agree children of other faiths probably love any fun activity, but their parents may be more aware of its significance and it seems rather mean for others to think they "need to get over themselves." (picture the rabbi's child running around hunting for Easter eggs at school! ) People have every right to think that some Easter/Christian activities are done by some nonChristians because they are, but not all nonChristians take part in these unless they are kind of forced to. In our community we just don't have a right to have the children do these things in school. There are tons of churches in our neighborhood and almost all of them have egg hunts so kids can do one or more for fun. These churches open the activities to everyone.

But back to the original question in the post--even if someone is a non-believer, wouldn't he or she probably still do Easter baskets for their child(ren), chocolate bunnies, participate in egg hunts and/or Easter dinner with the family? No! Many, many non-believers would NOT do those things, especially the Easter dinner. They also probably don't even think to mention-hey, we don't do Easter eggs or Easter dinner, so it is not brought to the attention of the Christian friends, so I understand why others think non-believers do these things. and yes, some do, not all.

Mr Sensai

Old 04-01-2012, 04:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

Quote:
You can't say "Happy Easter" or "Merry Christmas" because that might offend someone who does not celebrate? Why is that offensive?
Because they are assuming that person is (insert religion) here.

Quote:
we never tried to stop the school from requiring us to sing "God Save the Queen.
Because you are a GUEST in their country!

mom23kids

not me but...
Old 04-01-2012, 04:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

It's not offensive to me..but I'm not catholic or protestant and we would NOT do easter baskets or egg hunts or anything like that. We wouldn't do Easter dinner either. Would a non jew do a Passover dinner?
In my encounters I have gotten used to saying happy holidays for christmas and Chanukkah, Kwanza, etc.. Happy Spring or if I know the person celebrates Easter I WOULD say happy easter...or Happy Passover when I know the person is jewish.
I live and work in a place that is very diverse and people are from all over the place..I can't imagine saying Happy Easter to our speech teacher who is jewish.
However, people do it and I'm not offended at all

sevenplus

Old 04-01-2012, 05:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

I would not find it offensive.

However, as a teacher, I would not use those words. I have a different audience than you do (we have several Muslim students, some Jehovah Witnesses, and a few Jewish students). I stay away from all holiday references in my newsletters and wish everyone a "safe and relaxing break."

My perspective is as a Christian. We actually don't celebrate Christmas or Easter in a secular way at all. No Santa. No tree. No Easter Bunny, baskets, or eggs. We observe and celebrate the birth of Jesus and His resurrection.

buffington

Old 04-01-2012, 05:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

I don't get offended.....but....... in today's overly "PC" world SOMEONE would be so I'd play it safe. Happy Spring is nice.

For me, PC has its place--up to a point. But it sure gets on my nerves...that's just me....

Its so crazy that we have to agonize over a simple phrase such as Happy Easter.

tchrrx

Old 04-01-2012, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

It's getting so ridiculous that eventually you won't be able to say, "Have a nice day" simply b/c someone may be in a bad mood or has problems with depression and a nice day is too much to ask for.

People need to get their panties out of a wad over what is, quite simply, someone just using a friendly greeting. How simple is it to respond, "I don't celebrate that holiday, but I hope that you have a wonderful day."?

Smartmouth

Simple
Old 04-01-2012, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

Quote:
How simple is it to respond, "I don't celebrate that holiday, but I hope that you have a wonderful day."?
How simple is it to recognize that not everyone celebrates a religious holiday and therefore it is insensitive to wish everyone a "Happy (insert religious holiday here)?"

FLteachESE

offensive
Old 04-01-2012, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

Why is it offensive to some of you when people say "Have a great holiday" or "Happy Holidays" It is a respectful greeting. It is me or someone who is not of a religion such as yours saying we hope you have a great holiday, no matter what holiday you are blessed with or celebrate.

Souxiekue

My take
Old 04-01-2012, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

I think Christmas and Easter are also celebrated by NON RELIGIOUS people, but they aren't not celebrated by people from other (non-Christian) religions. That is a big difference. If you are NOT religious and you still celebrate the holidays, you are celebrating them as a secular holiday. However, they are NOT secular holidays. Non religious people who celebrate them are jumping onto a bandwagon and enjoying the fun part of a very important holiday for Christians, but not acknowledging the real reasons behind the holiday. I, as a Christian, take a bit of offense to the statements that they are secular holidays.

As far as people from religions other than Christianity-I can see their very valid point about not wanting to be drowned in religious holidays that disagrees with their own belief system. I certainly would feel strange if everyone around me were celebrating Muslim religious holidays and I was expected to just "go along with it" and celebrate too. No. Wouldn't happen. I'd sit back and allow them to do as they pleased, but would not participate.

anna

Old 04-01-2012, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

Perhaps we could look at the example of Jesus and other religious leaders/icons. How much of their time was spent telling others Happy Whatever? How much of their time was spent walking the talk and studying that which they talked about? How exactly did these leaders teach their faith to the non believers?

If I worked in Christian school I would have no problem writing Happy Easter in my newsletter.

I ♥ cats

Old 04-01-2012, 06:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

Oh please! If someone is offended by reading Happy Easter in a newsletter then they need to get over themselves! I think it's absolutely fine.
new1stteacher

new1stteacher

Agnostic
Old 04-01-2012, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

No. I wouldn't be offended. My kids celebrate a secular Easter anyway.

Mrs.Lilbit

No, not offended
Old 04-01-2012, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

I find it interesting that most of the posts refer to non-Christians being offended by "Happy Easter," but most of the people I know that would be offended by it are Christians. Like Janeypoo pointed out, Easter has pagan origins, so many Christians I know do not celebrate "Easter" with eggs, bunnies, etc. They celebrate "Resurrection Sunday" and keep it strictly a religious celebration.

I know quite a few atheists and agnostics (not counting the ones here on PT). I've never met one that did NOT celebrate Christmas or Easter. That, to me, makes these secular holidays. I've never met one who DID celebrate Good Friday or the feast of Epiphany, so that makes them strictly religious holidays (IMO).

I do not celebrate Halloween, but I am not offended when people wish me a happy one. I am not Catholic, but I don't mind being told "Happy St. Patrick's Day." I am not hispanic but I don't mind hearing "Feliz Cinco de Mayo." I am not a morning person, but I don't mind hearing "Good morning."

I think what gets lost in all of this taking offense business is the sentiment behind these statements. When people wish you a happy "whatever" they are not telling you "Celebrate my holiday", they are simply wishing you happiness. If that offends, then yes, people need to get over it!

Suspended

janeypoo

Suspended
Mr. Sensai
Old 04-01-2012, 09:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

Please don't isolate the POO in my name. One of those things you just don't think about when signing up.

You know, there was another lady (or a lady, not to imply you are one) that did that not just to be funny, to be mean.( She called me j-POO like that.) I wish I had picked one of my other Jane related aliases instead. WHy did I pick one with poo at the end? Why?!?! So stupid but I use it on a couple of other sites and I never encountered it before PT so I never thought about it. I could start ove buy I have SOOO many posts! Blerg!

funkster

Old 04-01-2012, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

How simple is it to respond, "I don't celebrate that holiday, but I hope that you have a wonderful day."?

It is very, very simple to respond exactly like you suggested! Only if you know who you are talking to and won't have to hear how you are misguided, lack morals and that you are going straight to hell for not being of the "right religion" and not being saved! That they will now pray for you. I am fine with the "pray for me" I think that is great, but the other stuff, well that is offensive. I know it is hard for most people on this board to believe it happens, because they would never, ever do it, but yes, it does happen.

And yes, maybe we are too sensitive, and there is too much insistence on politically correct behavior, but I personally think there is only one thing worse. More insensitivity and less politically correct behavior. I am old enough to have lived my youth when women's lib was in full action. We were told we were too sensitive and needed to get over ourselves when things were done and said, that today would be shocking and totally inappropriate. Things do get better for everyone when we are sensitive to others.
new1stteacher

new1stteacher

Old 04-01-2012, 09:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

Quote:
It is very, very simple to respond exactly like you suggested! Only if you know who you are talking to and won't have to hear how you are misguided, lack morals and that you are going straight to hell for not being of the "right religion" and not being saved! That they will now pray for you. I am fine with the "pray for me" I think that is great, but the other stuff, well that is offensive. I know it is hard for most people on this board to believe it happens, because they would never, ever do it, but yes, it does happen.

I agree funkster. I can't state my beliefs here because I am too afraid of just what you said. Especially as a teacher in the Bible Belt.

Tawaki

If I could give this a +1, I would.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

Sorry, it is mostly a Christian holiday, and all my Christian and Catholic friends quickly point this out.

As for Muslims and whoever "celebrating" with plastic eggs and what not, most of my kids will leave the country in 2-3 years. It's an interesting diversion. They won't be getting hassles five years from now, because they will be back "home".

As a Jew, I have never done "Christmas Lite". I hit the after Xmas sales for lights for my sukkah. Lol. I don't do bunnies and such.

I have more respect for Christians who scream it in my face, "Christ Is The Reason For The Season.", than the folks who "try to be nice." It's not considered a secular holiday like Labor Day. Let's stop kidding ourselves.

Lucky for me, Pesach preparations are such a time sink, I have no time to be aggravated by the Peep chicks and porky mayhem.

Chag Kasher V'Sameach!

To the everyone else who has break this week, ENJOY IT. You so earned it.

And a Joyous Easter to everyone who observes/celebrates Christ's death and resurrection.

Last edited by Tawaki; 04-01-2012 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: could give a + 1 to GreyhoundGirl's original post. still figuring out my Droid phone, sorry.

Suspended

janeypoo

Suspended

Old 04-01-2012, 09:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

I think the Christians who are shoving it in the faces of everyone that it is a Christian only holiday are the ones kidding themselves. Like I said before, even "Easter" is not a Christian name or term for the holiday originally (it is named after the goddess Eostre for Pete's sake!) and people who really want to make it Christian 100% call it Ressurection Day or something else because they know this and are not happy about it. Pagans had it first. They will tell you this just as adamantly as anyone else,and being raised pagan it does get my hackles up when people pretend it is a 100% Christian holiday. Eggs and Bunnies, like I said before, have nothing to do with Jesus. Some people try to make up ways to make it so they fit, but no....nuh huh. Pagans had it first. That is why Christianity calculates it so that it will for sure never fall on the equinox because that would pretty much seal the deal.

I celebrate Easter in the way it was intended originally ...to celebrate the rebirth of spring, to enjoy my family and the revere prosperity of the light half of the year and to have fun. Just like people have for thousands and thousands of years. I don't think it makes me better or anything, but I certainly don't think we are "kidding" ourselves.

gymbob

Question for Bioadoptmom3
Old 04-01-2012, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

Do you teach at a public or private school? Was a parent offended or an outside person?

Quote:
I don't think that phrase is offensive from a friend or a person in the community, but coming from a school, some parents might view it differently.
At my public school we are not allowed to have an Easter egg hunt or do anything related to holidays. I always have a mix of backgrounds in my class so I'm very aware of being sensitive to other cultures. If I mention Easter, St. Patty's Day, Ramadam, Passover ... it is always in an educational way.

Suspended

janeypoo

Suspended

Old 04-01-2012, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #50

I do see reason for offense at the egg hunt, and support that should it come up because that can be singling kids out who cannot participate, but not the sensitivity over the simple wishing of a Happy Easter.

Smartmouth

Old 04-01-2012, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #51

Let's boil this down to the basics:
When someone wishes me a Happy Easter, the implication is that I celebrate it. When you assume something because you have the privilege to do so, when your religion or race is the dominant one, it is offensive to me.

Easter was traditionally the time when pogroms were carried out against the Jews in Eastern Europe. It is a sensitive time for Jews who come from that background.

Please just wish me a nice day. We can all share in the joy of a nice day.

PrivateEyes

The offense isn't in the statement...
Old 04-01-2012, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #52

No one needs to be offended by Happy Hannukah, Merry Christmas, or any other type of greeting. The greeter merely wishes you happiness on a day that many people celebrate.

The hearer makes a choice to be offended. It's their baggage, and they should own it, and not blame the greeter.

I think many of those who claim to be offended are using someone's innocent greeting as a way of expressing their unhappiness with the majority religion. They use the greeting as a way to vent, or as a tool to express their dislike. They play the "victim" card in order to get attention. It is the minority trying to oppress the majority.

AD

Old 04-01-2012, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #53

No, I wouldn't be offended. That said, I do celebrate Easter and I am Catholic. I do not say "Happy Easter" to my students because I work in a somewhat diverse school.

linda2671

I'm going to show my age.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #54

I remember a time when people could say "Merry Christmas", "Happy Hannukah", "Happy Easter", "Enjoy Passover" or whatever to each other without offending or being offended. All of these were given and taken in civility within the spirit of the season. What has happened to us? Why are we so quick to take offense? Do we really believe that people are out to hurt us by simply saying "Happy Easter" or Happy Ramadan"?

GraceKrispy

Old 04-01-2012, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #55

I still think there is a big difference between what a person says to another person in a community setting and what a *teacher* sends home as representative of a classroom/grade level/school. Most of the many, many posts on this thread are rehashing the discussion that is had on PT just about every holiday season about whether to take offense about specific holiday greetings. The responses have remained pretty consistent (let's just make this topic a sticky post already ) with the different sides "yes, it's offensive," "no, not offensive, it's all the fault of the person listening," "how dare they take away our right to individual religious beliefs," "in the US almost everyone is Christian, therefore others need to just deal with it," "everyone celebrates anyway, even if it's not religious," etc, etc.

I think the difference in this particular post is that this is a phrase that went out in a newsletter from a school. Some people did address that fact in the post, and I think that detail makes all the difference. I, personally, don't think that type of phrasing belongs in a classroom newsletter. I'm not offended by it (although I can see how someone might be), but I am thinking it's not appropriate. If someone wants to say "Happy *insert holiday here*" to me, and it's a holiday I don't celebrate, that's totally fine. Individuals have the right to share their own beliefs and wishes to other individuals. But if the someone doing it is representing a public institution in some way, it becomes a different issue, imo.

Another issues that always surprises me is that many teachers claim that they know exactly who celebrates what beliefs. I find that hard to believe, overall, unless you know every single family intimately (which is certainly possible, just not likely). There are plenty of people who attend school and deal with the religious comments/activities in school without ever complaining, but that does not mean they are all in agreement. I know some complain that "PC" has gone too far, and that it's taking rights away from people to celebrate their own beliefs, but I don't really agree with that. Individuals still have the right to celebrate, to share their beliefs in whatever way they wish, as long as it's NOT infringing on others' rights, which, in a school setting, it would be. As an individual, I can share what I like. As a representative of a public institution, not so much.

Alicia G

Old 04-01-2012, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #56

This is how I have taught my dc to respond to greetings:

Other person: "Happy Easter!"
My dc should say with a smile: "Thank you!"

Other: "Happy Kwanzaa."
Smiley dc: "Thank you!"

Other: "Merry Ramadan!"

Other: "Merry Christmas"

Other "Have a nice day!"

Other "Happy Passover."
Smiley dc: "Thank you."

Can we just give others the benefit of the doubt that they are trying to spread a little of their joy to us, to brighten our day -- that they mean no harm, have no secret agenda, and just want to be kind to us? Even if they DO have a secret agenda or are pushing their beliefs on us, a "thank you" is appropriate -- and a little disarming too! If the greeting then morphs into a conversation on beliefs, we can agree to disagree kindly...

If we receive a sincere greeting, why should we be offended?

Just thank the other person. If it's not what you celebrate, oh well, just be glad that the person wasn't telling you where you can go, what you can do with yourself, etc.

Oh, and Happy Easter!

Logicat

Different perspective
Old 04-01-2012, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #57

Be honest- if your child brought home a letter that had "Happy Ostara" (a wiccan spring time celebration) would you be offended? I'm sure that it would raise a few eyebrows. If it's not acceptable to reference a minority religion, it's not ok to reference christianity either. Majority has nothing to do with it. Insensitive to even one person is still insensitive.

sunflwr508

Happy Easter
Old 04-01-2012, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #58

Please!
People get offended over EVERYTHING! I say go with Happy Easter, since you are clearly aware of your school community. I'm sure Happy Spring would probably offend someone too, as it isn't recognizing Easter.
It just isn't possible to please everyone.

PrivateEyes

Raising an eyebrow
Old 04-01-2012, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #59

Raising an eyebrow is different than being offended. Had my child come home with a "Happy Ostera" letter, I might have raised an eyebrow. I might have asked my child what "Ostera" was. We might have looked it up. But I wouldn't be offended.

I would be annoyed if Wiccan (or Christian) teachings were replacing reading, writing, math, science, or social studies in the classroom, and I would address that, but I still wouldn't be offended.

Mr Sensai

Old 04-01-2012, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #60

Quote:
Please don't isolate the POO in my name. One of those things you just don't think about when signing up
J-poo? kinda cute... maybe... ha ha

Quote:
When someone wishes me a Happy Easter, the implication is that I celebrate it. When you assume something because you have the privilege to do so, when your religion or race is the dominant one, it is offensive to me.
Quote:
I think the Christians who are shoving it in the faces of everyone that it is a Christian only holiday are the ones kidding themselves.
*nods head in agreement*

pen&paper

Old 04-01-2012, 08:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #61

If the question is, "Is Happy Easter offensive to you?" my answer is, of course not! I'm a Catholic and went to a Catholic school as a youngster. Sadly, these kinds of discussions have only appeared recently, but I suppose they are inevitable. I say, "sadly" because I so dislike to see people feel offended, especially when no harm was intended. I like to think the parents know I wouldn't be contentious.

I usually know my student's religion and I also know if they'd get offended by a comment like that. I usually play it safe during the winter time and just say, "Happy Holidays" especially to those I don't know. I also refer to a school break as a "December break" or an "April break".

Occasionally I do slip up, especially to those who are Jehova Witness. It does kinda break my heart when my little 8 year old kids don't get a birthday cake, but they must be used to it.

BTW, Mr Sensei, I am a bystander here and reading your posts. Please don't make fun of someone's name. My students did that too on their first day (I have one Pakistani student with an easy-to-tease last name) and I don't allow it.

phoenixsmom

Holidays
Old 04-01-2012, 10:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #62

Maybe I'm different, but I actually do something for just about every holiday. My class knows about Hanukkah, Christmas, Halloween, Chinese New Year, Groundhog's day and any other reason people might get off work. I really think my job is to give them knowledge that these days exist. When my class learned about Christmas, we talked about traditions from different parts of the world. We didn't do much for Easter. Just an egg hunt, but my parents wanted one.

Smartmouth

Old 04-02-2012, 02:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #63

Quote:
I would be annoyed if Wiccan (or Christian) teachings were replacing reading, writing, math, science, or social studies in the classroom
This is getting off the track of the thread, but this happens all the time. How many "holiday crafts" are done that are:

A. really Christmas or Easter crafts
B. taking time away from school subjects

I'm not saying we shouldn't do projects with our students, but they should be about what we're supposed to teach.

Alicia G

Old 04-02-2012, 03:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #64

Okay, I hadn't heard of that one (or hundreds of others that are "out there") so, let's add it in"

Other: "Happy Ostera!"
DC, smiling, "Thank you."

Later
DC: "What's ostera?"
Me: "I have no idea..."

Saying "Ostera" to one of my dc doesn't make a wart grow on my dc's nose. If it's a nice greeting delivered sincerely with a smile, it gets a thank you...

However, I've not encountered that one... I actually think about Happy Hanukkah is probably the only non-Christian and non-secular greeting I've encountered.

sevenplus

Old 04-02-2012, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #65

Quote:
I'm not saying we shouldn't do projects with our students, but they should be about what we're supposed to teach.
Holidays are part of our Social Studies curriculum. I don't do much holiday-related stuff, and I don't do strictly "crafts," but when I teach about holidays, I AM teaching my state standards.

Sariana

newsletter
Old 04-02-2012, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #66

I agree with GraceKrispy. The fact that it was school newsletter is the salient point.

I would not be offended, but I don't think it's appropriate.