Help

The VENT

new student

>

Savvy

new student
Old 04-03-2012, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Got a new student today who drained all of my energy. I seriousl want to take tomorrow off. I can't deal with this much neediness. ugh...my hands are weak just typing this.

Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachNFriend

Old 04-03-2012, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm so sorry to hear that you have a trying new student. I lost a student recently because he moved out of the area. He was so needy, rude and belligerent that, although I wasn't sorry to see him go, I truly felt bad for his new teacher and classmates. These types of kids can be so draining that they take all the enjoyment out of our job don't ther.
TeachNFriend is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Could it be...
Old 04-03-2012, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Put your feet up and relax! When I have hard days, I don't even think about school when the day is over!

Could the student have been needy just because it is his or her first day? As I know you know, that can always be hard on kids!

If you want, you can share what he or she does that is needy and maybe we can give you suggestions.

Here's to a better tomorrow!
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Ms.SB

Old 04-03-2012, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I wonder if you got mine who moved away, lol!
Ms.SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Savvy

first day
Old 04-04-2012, 02:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had to attend a meeting before this child was sent to my class, so I knew about the neediness. I feel bad going into too much detail, plus I'm still tired right now and need to do some work before I go to work. I just crashed and burned last night and kept waking up panicking about today. I'm praying for a decent day.

Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote

Nunziata

new students
Old 04-04-2012, 04:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It is awful thinking and saying, but the reality is that when we get new students this late in a school year 9 out of 10 times it means trouble for us and them. They are usually academically below where the rest of the class is and/or they are behavior issues.

I recently, in a two week period, received four new students. They are all very sweet, and right now I don't think are going to be behavior problems, but they are academically so much lower than the rest of my class. I feel sorry for them and am doing what I can to have them fit in and find where they are academically so I can have a beginning point, but it is rough. The school year is 3/4ths over and to be a new student is difficult for everyone.

On Friday I lost one who moved to another state. Not a behavior problem either so the new teacher should be okay with this student.

When I was in the 8th grade my family moved to another state and we had to go to a new school. I remember how I felt. It was in February.

I wish the original poster a better day. Having to work with a child that has "concerns" is very draining. I hope your day goes better today.
Nunziata is offline   Reply With Quote

pen&paper

Old 04-04-2012, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

One of my students moved away too. A third grader, she was reading at the low 2nd grade level although she'd surprise you with her math skills. She's the kid who tried to push me down the stairs. Then our "efforcer" (a very tall, very big, black guy) came to take over and she tried to push him. And this was just a typical, daily behavior where she tried to get all sorts of attention. Sadly she didn't know how to deal with positive attention, so negative attention was okay.

Actually, she might not have permanently moved, but I know her family was having issues (I think Dad was in jail, mom in a wheelchair). We made an announcement to the kids and not one person said a single positive thing about her, not kids, not teachers. Although I tried to reach her, I wonder what will happen to her. Very sad. One Friday, she was there. The following Monday, she was gone. God bless the school that inherited her.
pen&paper is offline   Reply With Quote