Third Grade

word choice

>

3gradeteacher

word choice
Old 04-04-2012, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi PTers...
I am hoping that someone has something to share for lessons/activities for word choice. I looked on the writing fix site and got some great ideas and mentor texts to use. I was just hoping if someone had a center activity to share you could post it, or some worksheets, etc. Something for them to demonstrate their learning..
TIA

3gradeteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

pen&paper

Old 04-05-2012, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't have a specific lesson, but sometimes I have "blanked" out a few words in a passage and let the kids understand how much better a story sounds when they extend their vocabulary. Sometimes I start off by having one predominant word that keeps getting repeated, then when I revise the passage by writing a synonym, they really see a purpose to editing.
pen&paper is offline   Reply With Quote

KrisKElem

some ideas
Old 04-05-2012, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yummiest Love by Lisa McCourt

Use this book to introduce the concept of adjectives. List some of the adjectives the mother bear used to describe the way she felt for her cub. Have the students add other adjectives to the charts, giving prompts if needed. Play an adjective guessing game by giving the children descriptive clues as to what object/picture you have placed in a “mystery bag” until they have guessed the correct answer. Once they have grasped the concept, have them think of questions to ask using adjectives to guess the mystery object, or pair them up to play as teams.

Stellaluna by Janell Cannon

Take some of the strong verbs that Cannon uses in the book and read them out if context. For example: “clambered”. Ask if anyone knows what the word means. Then, read the word within the text and show how the text supports the word and how the strong verbs add to the fluency and detail of the story. Have the students use some of these new verbs in a sentence.

KrisKElem is offline   Reply With Quote