Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

DD is heartbroken...

>

+Ion

DD is heartbroken...
Old 04-07-2012, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Her BF of over a year broke up with her tonight. She has a lot going for her....college freshman with a 3.8 gpa, Disney intern starting in August, in a sorority, an all around good girl! She passed on her sorority's formal [where she is presented with her father] to go to his prom....now she can't do either! She is just heartbroken and I don't know what to do to help her!!! Please, if you can, say a little prayer that she sees that she is a strong & resilient young woman who has the whole world ahead of her.

My baby girl.....I know this is one thing I can not fix! My heart is breaking with her!!!!

canteach

That stinks.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sorry she is going through a rough patch. Hope she gets past the misery soon.

Clarity

My daughter has recently been going
Old 04-07-2012, 09:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

through similar trials with her BF of four years. I keep telling her not to make any life decisions based on ANY man, to just focus on her education and her career and on building herself up to be the person she wants to be, not what HE wants or needs.

She will get through it. Let's just hope he doesn't treat her like a yo-yo. That's worse.

Kendall

Clarity said it best!
Old 04-07-2012, 10:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I "ditto" what she said. Do not let any man define you and your future. Keep encouraging her to be herself and to grow and focus on her goals. My son just got out of the Navy and he will be moving to Orlando, FL in a month (not sure if that is where she is at). Just be supportive!! Her future s bright!!

pen&paper

Old 04-07-2012, 11:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sorry to hear your DD is heart-broken. She and her BF broke up and that's hard. Being a college freshman, rushing for sorority, finding an internship in this economy, and maintaining a 3.8 is an amazing feat already. I don't agree with some posters in saying, "she shouldn't make decisions based on some guy," since that wasn't the issue here. It's tough not feeling you weren't able to help, but listening and empathizing is what moms do best. Sending a little prayer from here.

Brassy125

Peace!
Old 04-08-2012, 01:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I pray she finds peace...and strength!
It is so hard to sort life out, and deal with the ups and downs...
It is also so hard to be the mom...hang in there...what doesnt kill us, makes us stronger!

Karen

Munchkins

hugs to you both
Old 04-08-2012, 03:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It's so hard when you can't fix something- so sorry your daughter is in pain. There's nothing you can do other than be there for her. She's lucky to have you in her corner.

tammynj

Old 04-08-2012, 05:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yeah, that stinks. It's also part of life, unfortunately.

I find that time is the only thing that really helps.... just be there for her (as it seems you already are), give her a little time to mourn then try to keep her busy. The thing is, when you are in the middle of a hurt like that, it's hard to keep perspective. This will seem like EVERYTHING to her for a while.

Hang in there. My DS is having a little heartbreak of his own going on and it is so hard to have to just watch.

readbks2

Old 04-08-2012, 06:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

That sure did bring back memories of my daughter and all the tears of dating. There's not much you can do but listen and be there for her. I went through this a few times, the worst being after an engagement after 5 years of dating. Wedding invitations to be sent the next day, and she found out he was cheating on her. That was so difficult for everyone, but she met a great guy shortly after that and is now happily married with a little girl. The hard part is that at the time they never believe that they will get through this, and only time will make the difference. I will say a prayer that this will get easier for her soon.

audriana

(((hugs)))
Old 04-08-2012, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My dd and her bf of two years broke up at the beg. of February. It was very difficult because they were already planning their future. She told me she was going to give herself a week or two to mope and then she was going to pick herself up and get over it.

Oh she was angry at first. She was actually supposed to be interviewed by an investigator for her then boyfriend's security clearance, so she called his family and told them they needed to contact the person and have them pick someone else. She did post something true, but ugly on his facebook page when people were congratulating him on this big scholarship he had won to go to grad school in Oxford. I told her not to bring herself down to his level.

Now she is out dating and having lots of fun. Time heals all wounds and we hope wounds all heels.

Teachinkenz

Break ups
Old 04-08-2012, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm so sorry she is going through this! I remember those days all too well. The good news is that college is the best time to be single! I'm guessing that she will be able to experience so much more without a boyfriend. It sounds like she has already given up some important things for him and that's not always a good thing. She has a lot ahead of her and seems to have some wonderful things going on! As hard as it may be, I'm glad for her that it happened now...instead of finding out after her amazing college years that this guy isn't for her. I hope her heartbreak is short-lived so that she can enjoy all the great things ahead! ((hugs))

Learn Today

My daughter went
Old 04-08-2012, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

through the same thing - I think they all do. It's really hard when you are the momma and want to take away your baby's hurt. I was really worried about my daughter because she has anxiety problems but she really surprised me. She was a mess for a couple of weeks but then moved on. I will pray for your daughter and all young people who have their hearts broken.

BioAdoptMom3

Old 04-08-2012, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My heart goes out to her, and to you! It is so painful to see our children hurting and not be able to help them, I know! I am praying for her, and for you, as we speak!

Nancy

+Ion

Thanks y'all....
Old 04-09-2012, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We have cried together, walked in silence together, and rode around & shopped together....together is the key. She spent the day with her aunt who always gives great advice. She is still taking it hard....more confused than anything. Keep the prayers coming, though. She just needs a little time.

Thanks again for all of the advice!