Help

The VENT

Aide gave answers

>

Quatro

Aide gave answers
Old 04-09-2012, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My four students who went with the aide to take a test came back with almost identical wrong answers on every question. Also they all made the same mistake on the directions for one section. I have suspected her of giving the answers in the past but now it is obvious or they all cheated which is odd with her being right there. If I confront her she'll deny it. She has martyr issues as it is. I don't have time to make a new test and her cooperating teacher is no help. Any ideas please?

Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote

funkster

Old 04-09-2012, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't know what grade you teach and if it is an upper elementary grade it may be different, but in the early grades I would just disregard and not record the test results. If it was a district test or standardized test I would turn this over to the Principal, vice Principal or Guidance Counselor. I would not take on the aide on my own. Our Union also forbids us to have a one on one with any staff member either. This is the business of the administrators, not the teachers. I would not accuse her of anything, but I would put the facts out there and see if the administrator comes to the same thoughts.
funkster is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 04-09-2012, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Time for a meeting w/ you, the aide, the coop teacher, and, if needed, the principal. One thing to consider here is whether or not the aide truly understands what to do. Frequently they are pressured if the kids aren't passing or if the kids are frustrated/upset when taking the test. This can lead to issues w/ the paras giving too many hints/answers. So, be prepared for her to justify her actions. It doesn't really matter - just clarify what is to happen from this point forward then enforce it. (I understand that you thought/felt/wanted to _________, however, from now on you are to ______.)

Also, when you said that the coop teacher was no help, that was a red flag for me. Why not? Has she tried to deal with this aide before and the administration sided w/ the aide? Find out before you start dealing with this. It may change how you decide to proceed as far as when and how you want to involve the administration. For me, if the admin is backing the aide, I would approach him/her prior to meeting with the aide, review the test papers, and ask for advice on how to handle the issue.
SDT is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

grrr
Old 04-09-2012, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would give her instructions next time to take kids to library or computer lab and have each student at a seperate table, no talking, etc. Then I would call the lead teacher in that room - librarian or computer tech to ensure this is done and that this is a test beign given.

If she STILL can't do it right go to whomever it is that gives her performance reviews.
subczy is offline   Reply With Quote

GdHrtdTchr

Student
Old 04-09-2012, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

As one poster wrote, I think some of my response would depend on the nature of the test. If this is 'more than' a classroom test, I agree that it's mostly an administrator's role to deal with it. It might also depend on the age of the students and your relationship with those students.

However, I think under most circumstances I would pull aside the student (of the four) with whom I have the most trusting relationship. I'd say something to the effect of:

Johnny, you know I've always been straight up with you and I've always told the truth.
So, I need you to tell me the truth. [Smiling...not threatening.] Did Ms. Aide help you get your answer for [point to problem]? [Smile/raise eyebrows -- teachers-know-style] I struggle in some areas, but at this point in the year, most of my students know me well enough to know that there are times to step up and do the right thing and I'm 95% sure I'd get an honest response.

If my suspicions were affirmed, my next step would depend on the test.

A classroom test would probably be disregarded (since you said there's no time for an alt. test.) If the aid is from another cooperating teacher, I have a feeling I'd wimp out and not confront her. I'd just insist my students not test with her in the future.

If it was a district test, I would simply tell my princ that there were suspiciously identical errors and a student told me that Ms. Aide had helped them with answers. Then, it's on the princ to follow through.

I'm sorry this happened. Some folks just don't have ethics and understand what actually helps vs. hurts students.

GdHrtdTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

can they retake the same test?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If they take it in your room, on their own, you can compare the results. At the very least, it will be a more accurate assessment of what they truly know. Good luck!
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

Quatro

Confirmed
Old 04-09-2012, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Students confirmed that the aide "helped" alot. Her coop teacher was "just deal with it." Thanks for the support. I am going to give them the test myself as it is state testing week and I'll have the students on Friday afternoon. I am so ticked. I have wondered in the past if she was feeding them answers. Why study when you'll get the answers.? 34 1/2 days left.
Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote

chickpea

This has happened
Old 04-09-2012, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

to me at least twice in my career.

Once, a reading teacher let my students "work together" on one of my assignments. They came back with identical answers although at least they were correct.

The second time two students had identical and nonsensical answers on a test they took with a special education teacher. The principal "investigated" and found "no evidence of cheating." Complete craziness.
chickpea is offline   Reply With Quote

pen&paper

Old 04-10-2012, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Sadly, your aide is trying to win the popularity contest. Students know if they don't "get it" and beg for the answers. In fact, they'd copy others if they can. In this case, they probably all said, "I don't get it!!!" and the aide answered the questions for them. Depending on your co-op teacher, I think you should remind the aide what her job is. Now at least you know you can't trust her.
pen&paper is offline   Reply With Quote