Help

ARCHIVE

No A/C in classroom

>

tkutayli

No A/C in classroom
Old 08-07-2007, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just curious how many classrooms do not have A/C. Our classrooms are not air conditioned and with temperatures reaching 100 degrees the last few days her in Ohio I starting wondering how our schools handle the heat...let out early, no school?
Terri

tkutayli is offline   Reply With Quote

dp

The heat is on!
Old 08-07-2007, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My particular classroom has no A/C and no windows. The fans just seem to blow around the hot air. We need cooler weather soon!
dp is offline   Reply With Quote

conolley

Old 08-07-2007, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Until just a couple years ago quite a few of the schools in our area didn't have A/C... Then they passed a bond issue providing money to get it city-wide. Until then, they had district wide heat contingency days were school let out around noon. Usually this only lasted the first week, but one of my years in high school was so hot they extended it to two weeks... That of course took away all of our snow days, which then just caused problems the following winter! Now that everyone has A/C school starts about 2 weeks earlier in August and gets out earlier in May.
conolley is offline   Reply With Quote

TTT

No A/C either
Old 08-07-2007, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I close the blinds in an attempt to keep the sun from beating in the windows and turn up the fan I brought from home. We've never closed early or had school cancelled due to the heat.

Sometimes, a parent will donate popsicles for the class. Encourage the kids to bring in water bottles.
TTT is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

No AC
Old 08-07-2007, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We also don't have AC. One year, when the heat index went up to nearly 100, we had early dismissals at 1:00. That's very rare, though. It really galls me that schools are really one of the only public buildings that don't have AC. Our district built a new school and has done other construction projects and still no AC. The fans are a joke. Of course, the Main Office, Principal's Office, and Superintendent's Office all have AC.

NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

okteach

Old 08-07-2007, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have A/C and the controls are in each separate room. Sometimes I have mine on 60 degrees.
okteach is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

AC is a dream!!
Old 08-07-2007, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Our school does not have central air...several classroom do have window air conditioners because of health related issues for students and staff.

One thing I do is to make sure students have water bottles. I have them freeze water the night before and bring it to school the next morning wrapped in a dishtowel secured by a rubber band. That way, for most of the day, they have very chilly water.

When it gets very warm in my classroom in the afternoon, I plan lessons that can be taught under the shade of trees on our playground. I let each of them take their water bottle, a carpet square, library book, pencil, eraser, and other necessary items and we have class on the playground where there at least a breeze. It is still warm, but not HOT, which is the temperature most of the time in my classroom! They like the change of location, and there are many writing/language/reading related things that can be done outside with everyone in the shade under a tree!! My kids love it!!
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

m&m's

No AC
Old 08-07-2007, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I had a window a/c last year because a student had it written into the IEP. But they will be taking it out before school starts. I feel fortunate that I have a window, though. Several teachers in the building have no window and their rooms are suffocatingly hot!!
m&m's is offline   Reply With Quote

valget

very lucky
Old 08-07-2007, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have AC in my room. I can also select the temperature for my room. This was especially nice today since it was about 100 degrees in ATL.
valget is offline   Reply With Quote
lovingrd3

lovingrd3

a/c
Old 08-07-2007, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am also lucky enough to have A/C in my room and can control the temperature as well. BUT I've been doing some work in my room (went in today) and lost about 10 lbs. b/c they won't turn the A/C on until a week before school starts...

kathy

No A/C
Old 08-07-2007, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

room is unbearable. Can't get anything done in preparation cuz too hot!
kathy is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

A/c
Old 08-07-2007, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Finally after suffering for four years, they are putting A/C in our building!!! All of the other buildings had it and I guess after sending kids home sick and teachers to the hospital at the end of the year last year, they decided it was time. Teachers are back in session and the installation isn't complete (they don't think it will be ready by the time the kids come back either ) so we are still dying, but we will all be thrilled when they are all done!!!
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

FLteacherAMM

I have AC
Old 08-07-2007, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I live in FL though. I can't imagine not having it. Well, I can imagine. I went to college in FL and the dorms didn't have AC. Anyway...

My first year of teaching (two years ago) the AC went out at the end of the year for the whole 2nd floor. It was so disgusting. The poor kids had red faces all the time and everyone was sweaty. My principal told us we couldn't open the windows because it was a safety risk. The bad thing about it is our school is only like 5 years old, so that shouldn't have happened. Well my classroom and another were fortunate to get a portable AC in our rooms (and no one elses. Boy, they were mad!) but it still didn't really help.

Good luck to you all who don't have AC in this kind of heat.
FLteacherAMM is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnmomma

I have AC
Old 08-07-2007, 09:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

A few years ago...here in CA...we finally were upgraded to AC but a lock box is around the controls so only the custodians can change temp. All is fine during the school day...however if you plan to work late or on the weekends...it becomes miserable cause it is turned off!

Before AC...we had the kids bring frozen water bottles, lights out after noon, and PE only in the morning.
Because of the fans one year we painted "rock pals" to hold our papers on our desks!
teachnmomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Kat's Mom

I'm sure it depends on where you live...
Old 08-08-2007, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I live in northern PA, and we don't traditionally start school until after Labor Day, so by then, things are not too hot for us; I've seen a few days in the 80's, but nothing worse. We get out the 2nd week in June, and it usually hasn't climbed over 80 by then either. We get by w/ fans for a few weeks. We have A/C only in the library, office, and art room, because they're part of a new addition. When I taught in NC, we started mid-Aug. so there was central air, thank goodness.
Kat's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

lovetoteach3

Ac
Old 08-08-2007, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I live in CA and we do not have AC. I have four fans in my room. It is miserable when temps. are reaching 100 and above. There is nothing worse then trying to keep your students motivated when I am teaching with sweat running down my face. I teach at a private school and our pastor informed our principle that we will combine fundraising in hopes to get AC in the next couple of years.
lovetoteach3 is offline   Reply With Quote

KcK

Nope
Old 08-08-2007, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

We have no a/c either. It gets pretty darn hot here in Chicago at the end of the summer! My room is next to the parking lot and on the east side on the building. So I get a lovely greenhouse effect going on. How I have learned to survive:

I made a deal with the custodian to close my blinds when he gets there at 6. This helps keep the sun from baking in. We cant leave them shut at night because the police do checks and requested that all the shades be left open.

I leave the windows SHUT...it actually makes it so much more bearable. Although my kids dont often get it when the classrooms on the other side of the building are all in shade and have their windows open, but it leads to a great science experiment about humidity.

I have 3 fans. A ceiling fan, one by the door to pull in cooler air from the hall and another somewhere in the room.

I have the kids bring in water bottles and encourage them to complain to their parents about the heat in the classroom.

We are just irked because of the inequality in our district. Many teachers have air and some do not. They claim everyone willl have it within ten years or something, but that does not make me feel better.
I dread setting up my room next week in these temperatures.
KcK is offline   Reply With Quote

enterprisetaf

Old 08-09-2007, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I don't know how all of you can handle the heat without air and some of you without windows! We have AC but they turn it off soon after school gets out. Also, they usually don't turn it on when it gets hot at the end of the year.
enterprisetaf is offline   Reply With Quote