Help

ARCHIVE

pregnant and no A/C at school

>

amylea77

pregnant and no A/C at school
Old 08-08-2007, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So, anyone been in my shoes? I know there is a thread about A/C going, but I would love to hear from people who had to teach while pregnant at the very hottest of summer. We start back on the 20th, and I am a bit worried how the sudden change in my activity from my A/C couch to a steaming room and on my feet all day will affect me. My room is actually the hottest of all. I am on the third floor above the kitchen so when the cooks use the stove, it heats us up nice and toasty. Can't wait! Unfortunately, I am not due until Winter, so I must withstand it!

amylea77 is offline   Reply With Quote

MTBarbie

me too!
Old 08-08-2007, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am about 7 months pregnant and due in Oct. My school does not have AC either So, I"ve been working in my room and it gets really hot after awhile. I am really huge and it is hard to walk down the hall. Plus, I am so scared that when I start my feet will get all huge and swollen, as I'm used to relaxing more throughout the day. That will be awful. I can tell my energy level has really dropped also, as I can only do so much work, then I have to sit down for awhile. But since you are due in the winter, you will just be getting to the "energetic" months of being pregnant once school starts! So that will be good! Hang in there!that really sucks about being right above the kitchen though, poor girl!
MTBarbie is offline   Reply With Quote

burg4

Being pregnant and no A/C
Old 08-08-2007, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When I was pregnant with my first child who was born the end of September. I taught kindergarten at a school with no A/C. It was so hot. I was miserable. My feet and ankles swelled up something terrible. There were some days I could barely walk by the time I got home. Because of this, my doctor put me on half days the two weeks before I had her. He had first recommend no work at all, but I wanted to have my six weeks off when she was born. He then agreed on half days. I can sympathize with you.
burg4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Illinois Packer Fan

I did it.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have done it twice. It was hard. I sat a lot and had a fan going whenever I sat down. Once I got to mid-September it got better. I felt like I drank a gallon and lost 2 gallons of water sweating every day. However, with all the sweating, I didn't run to the bathroom every 5 minutes!
Illinois Packer Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

jch

Been there, done that
Old 08-08-2007, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I, too, had 2 pregnancies in schools that heated up in the afternoon (I was on the sunny side) with no a/c. A couple things that I did:

I was able to scrounge two lab chairs the high school chem lab was no longer using. I positioned on in the front of the room and the other along a side wall - 2 places to where I would commonly migrate. The higher seat still put me "above" the kids so all could see me, and it had a back to it. If I had to put my feet up - especially towards the end of the pregnancies, I would use a student chair as a footstool. The kids really seemed to understand.

Our hallway was always cooler than the rooms, so I would put a box fan in the doorway blowing air in. I'm sure with younger kids that may not be an option. I had 4th graders and they were great - they'd just circumvent the fan. I'm sure the state inspector would have frowned on it too. Fortunately, it was in use only a short period of time and only in the late afternoons. I had an oscillating fan in another part of the room to keep the air circulating.

Good luck and rest when you can.

jch is offline   Reply With Quote

katahdin25

portable air conditioner?
Old 08-08-2007, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Would a portable air conditioner be a possibility? I heard all you need is a window to vent a small tube out of.

When I was pregnant, I was stuck in portables that were, what seemed, miles away from the bathroom. I had to run down two hallways, like, 20 times a day. That was sooo much fun..... not!
katahdin25 is offline   Reply With Quote

m&m's

Hang In There
Old 08-09-2007, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I was 2 days overdue on the last day of school in a room with no AC. I feel for you. But there are things you can do:

-drink lots of water
-go barefoot or wear slippers in the classroom, if you can
-bring extra deodorant
-depend on the students for some things you might normally do
(my students were so great. If I dropped the chalk, someone would have it picked up almost as soon as it hit the floor!)
-have a few classes outside if you can manage (It has to be better than above the kitchen. One of the students can carry a chair out for you and they can sit on the ground.)
-pray cooler weather comes quickly
m&m's is offline   Reply With Quote

gaazed

Old 08-09-2007, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I was lucky because are school got window units installed when I was 3 months pregnant. When I returned to school in the fall, I had the AC going full blast. It was like I was in the Arctic. The kids would say, "It is sooo cold in here." I felt like telling them to bring a sweater. Just to remember to sit ALOT!! It is o.k. to teach from your chair and have the kids come to you. It won't hurt them to teach like that for that short period of time. Wear comfortable shoes (I wore tennis shoes). I liked the idea of wearing slippers. Don't forget to drink plenty of water. Good luck!!
gaazed is offline   Reply With Quote