Help

Daily 5

Help a D5 newbie, plz?

>

Hesitant_Hen

Help a D5 newbie, plz?
Old 06-07-2012, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How have you organized your students' D5 binders? Do you have a section for each D5 choice? Do you include other sections, like Reader's Notebooks would have? What's worked best for those of you who have lots of experience?

Hesitant_Hen is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 06-09-2012, 08:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't have a Daily 5 binder for my students. That would be too much work for me! They have composition notebooks for work on writing and that's it.
AD is offline   Reply With Quote

ireflct2

Old 06-09-2012, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

AD, what about Word Work? Do your kids use Reading Notebooks?
ireflct2 is offline   Reply With Quote

kklteach

I don't
Old 06-10-2012, 08:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

have a binder either, for the same reason as AD . I use a composition notebook for Word Work activities. They have to record their weekly sight words or spelling words, and do all written activities in the notebook so I can see what they've been doing.
kklteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Laurascoupons

I am so glad...
Old 06-10-2012, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

that some of you are having success with composition books! They are on my supply list for next year and it was too late to change to anything else. I have had success with composition books in years past but this will be my first try at D5. With binders I always had at least two students a day that "lost" their work. When I went to comp books there were no more loose papers. I had maybe two kids a month that would "leave" their comp books at home. Comp books also helped me show the parents their child's work. My kids were always throwing away work so their parents couldn't get on them about grades. They can't tear paper out of comp books or they fall apart, so all their work was there.

I have heard many negative comments about comp books that I was worried I had made the wrong choice.

Laurascoupons is offline   Reply With Quote

Hesitant_Hen

Binders vs. Notebooks
Old 06-11-2012, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for your comments. This has really help me think about how my students should keep track of everything we do during D5.

AD- You teach a K-2 grade, right? If I taught K-2, I'd say that would be too much work that I'd end up doing, too. I teach 4th grade, so the students can handle organizing their own work, espescially if I model want I need them to do.

kklteach- I want students to have a place to keep a record of everything they do, in other words to make them accountable. So, students will need to have more than just a Word Work section. Creating sections in a notebook for each Daily activity will be too time consuming. It takes my 4th graders 2 class periods to number the sheets in their Reader's notebooks every year.

Laurascoupons -Whenever I grade their work, I send it home in their Monday folder. So, I don't want to have to tear it out of a notebook if I grade it. I plan on using a rubric to grade their work, which I can keep in my D5 binder. (see attachment below)

I think my sections will be
  • Read to Self- for Reading Logs, Reading Interests, Goal Sheets, etc.
  • Read with a Buddy- I'm really not sure of what to put in this section. Maybe a Record of Buddy's name and Titles read?
  • Response to Reading- Written responses, Pictures of Dioramas or other Projects, etc.
  • Word Work- Anything that requires paper, and maybe pictures? Not sure if I want them using my camera to take pictures of white boards or play dough words.
  • Computer- Log of websites visited and activites completed, Record AR grades on Reading Logs
Do you think I need a section for D5 choices and include a weekly or monthly calendar?? Am I leaving anything out that would be needed??
Attached Files
File Type: pdf D5 Reading Behaviors Rubric.pdf (15.5 KB, 221 views)

bgteacher

Old 06-11-2012, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I really like your rubric. It makes it clear for me, clear for kids, and clear to share with parents at conferences.
bgteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Hesitant_Hen

bgteacher
Old 06-12-2012, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It's one I borrowed from another teacher's website. Hey, The Sisters say work smarter, not harder!

Last edited by Hesitant_Hen; 06-12-2012 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: spelling error

itsybitsc1

Old 06-13-2012, 04:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks for sharing the rubric.
itsybitsc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

CL

thanks
Old 06-13-2012, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Great rubric! Thanks!

CL is offline   Reply With Quote

Lightcoke

Rubric
Old 06-15-2012, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks for the rubric. Very helpful!
Lightcoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Racetchr

Old 06-17-2012, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Thanks for the wonderful rubric. This is a big help for me.
Racetchr is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachNFriend

Hesitant hen
Old 06-26-2012, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I am also toying with the idea of using a binder. This way the kids could grab their binders, come to the meeting area, and be ready for any activity they've signed up for. My thought was to have:

Reading Section that included a Reading Log for read to self choices, and another one for buddy reading choices, Reading Interest inventory, Goal setting sheets and strategy posters they could use during the reading process. Also, I would love to have a plastic pencil pouch to hold a pencil, eraser, bookmark and post it notes.

Word Work Section I would have a 3 holed Hilroy notebook that the kids could take out and use for their word work activities. All written work would be done in this notebook. Also, I would include their spelling word lists and spelling menu for the week.

Reading Responses I'm deciding between using another Hilroy notebook where the kids respond to their reading by writing letters to me about the books they're reading (more authentic responses) OR using pre-made response sheets that the kids could fill in (gives them a frame to work with that allows for more independence)

Work on Writing I was thinking about having a seperate folder for writing. I have found that stories written on loose paper tend to get lost, lots of unfinished pieces.

I am considering using my work on writing time to be a combination of reading responses, journals, free choice writing. I'm still not too sure what that would look like, or how to keep the kdis accountable during this station.

Last edited by TeachNFriend; 06-26-2012 at 07:51 PM..
TeachNFriend is offline   Reply With Quote

Hesitant_Hen

TeachNFriend
Old 06-27-2012, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I like your idea of combining RTS and RTB in their binders. Do you already have a Reading log for Read to a Buddy???

I'm changing Work on Writing to Response to Reading because I am required to teach Writing/Language separately.

I'm still not sure how the students can be held accountable for playdough, white board, and other types of word work that's paperless. Maybe I could make a Bingo board full of the different WW activities and the students could quietly get another student to check and initial the finished activity on the grid.

TeachNFriend

Accountability
Old 06-27-2012, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I was thinking of using a grid as well. I'm trying to visualize how that would work. What if I gave a variety of choices for the week on a grid and during the whole class check-ins, kids could show what they'd accomplished and then they could stamp the space on their grid? It might give them a goal to strive for and hold them accountable for completing their menu of activities. (The problem with whiteboard activities is that they would need sa few minutes after the check-in to clean the boards and put them back for the next group.)

Will that check in process take way too long? Is there a more effective way to keep track of what they're doing? What do you think?

As for the Buddy log, I may have a paper copy somewhere around here, I'll look around and see. If not, I would just follow the format of the RTS Reading log with one added column for Partner's Name.
TeachNFriend is offline   Reply With Quote

Hesitant_Hen

Check-in Process
Old 06-27-2012, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I'm visualizing how I could do a quick walk-through the classroom after ringing the chimes and glancing at the WW students' work as they are cleaning up. It will take a minute or two to clean up and put things away. I could spot anyone who is just marking an activity and not having done the work. Then the check-in at the meeting area could be focused on "How did it go?" instead of "What did you do?"

I think adding the RTB column into the Reading log that I use every year would work. Actually that makes more sense than having 2 logs.