Help

Third Grade

Ideas on before school get together

>

glinda

Ideas on before school get together
Old 06-20-2012, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I would like to have a get together at my house this summer before school starts for my students and their parents. I was thinking about a kind of an open house where they could just stop by between certain hours. I like to meet them before the first day and have done home visits in the past, but I'd like to try something different this year. Has anyone done this or does anyone have any ideas for invitations, decorations, activities,etc?

glinda is offline   Reply With Quote

teachkidz14

Old 06-20-2012, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Home vists are one thing--I would recommend first and most importantly speaking with your principal about the idea and possibility of having a open house for parents/students at your home. It is good to get the P's okay first before thinking any further about this. I like the idea--however, once you have the open house parents/students know where you live and it can sometimes blurr the boundries of your relationship(s) with them.
teachkidz14 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Open House
Old 06-20-2012, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Home visits are a lot of work and time. I can understand why you would want a change.

I agree with teachkidz14. IMHO, inviting students and their families to your house may blur the relationship line. It also invites parents to share your housekeeping methods or the three cars in your garage or make judgements about your personal life that you do not want out there in the community. This is private...and no longer would be if you have an open house.

Perhaps your open house could be at a park in the neighborhood. You could reserve/rent a shelter in the park and do a cookout. Parents could call you to RSVP and tell you what they are bringing to share (potato salad, chips, relishes, dip, etc.) and you could supply the meat, ice, and drink.

Instead of a meal, it could be in the evening after dinner, and there would be just snacks and drinks. Members of your family or a friend could deal with the snacks and drinks while you meet and greet your students and their families.

Either way, I would speak with your principal. Who is responsible for the liability for such a get-together? Will you school's insurance cover this? You might want to check with your homeowner's insurance carrier if you plan to do the open house, or purchase an short-term liability insurance policy to cover the park activity.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Back to school night
Old 06-20-2012, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have btsn for about 1 hour the night before our first day. It is just really a meet. greet, and drop of school supplies. I'd be leary about having students & parents in my home.
jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

kzoteacher

Mini conferences before school
Old 06-21-2012, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My teaching partner has been doing this for years, and I did it last year. During the summer, I contacted parents and set up a 15 minute conference with parents and the students. This gave them a chance to meet you, go over expectations, get emails, and just build that relationship quickly. It was an amazing first contact especially for students new to our school. They were also able to bring in their supplies, eliminating the rush of materials on the first day of school.

kzoteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kzoteacher

Could a parent host the event
Old 06-21-2012, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Maybe a parent could host the event instead. My son's kindergarten teacher did a party at one of the student's house before school. No clean up for you, they don't know where you live, etc.
kzoteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

123rabbit

classroom open house
Old 06-21-2012, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would try to have the get together on school grounds. Maybe an ice cream social, ice cream floats or small snacks. This way the kids can see your classroom, drop off supplies and meet you.

We have a Howdy Night at our school. One evening before school begins from 4:00-6:00 the campus is open to all the kids and parents. They can meet the staff and drop off supplies. It works great.
123rabbit is online now   Reply With Quote

glinda

We do have open house at school
Old 06-21-2012, 10:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Our school does have an open house 2 days before school starts. I just don't see it as a way to talk to the kids in a comfortable setting and really get to know them. Also, we are moving into a newly renovated building which probably won't be ready until very close to open house. We live in a small town and pretty much everyone knows where I live, as it is right down the street from school.
glinda is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Ideas
Old 06-21-2012, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Reading
You could use index cards to create a treasure hunt. The treasure could be some school supplies of some sort that are fun, like decorative pencils. You could see if they can read and follow directions.
You could have a picture on the back of each card so if they can't read well enough they will still enjoy the treasure hunt. Or maybe do a second set of cards.

Social Studies
Maybe have a map posted of your hometown and have each family place a small sticker with child's initials where they live.

Math
Have several ingredients to create a trail mix. Have written directions out to follow. Have different size measuring cups out to use as well with decorative bags to put the treat inside.
Example - 2 cups popcorn
1/4 cup Gold Fish
1/3 cup pretzels
1/8 cup M & M's

Science
Still thinking. I'll get back to you if I think of something cute.

What about this experiment from Sciencebob? It is easy and fun. Each student will have one to play with when they leave.

http://www.sciencebob.com/experiment...hoop_plane.php

Last edited by 1956BD; 06-21-2012 at 11:56 AM..
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

mel

younger siblings
Old 06-21-2012, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We have a back to school night and I cringe when the younger siblings start messing with things around my classroom. Even some of my incoming third graders do it. You might have kids wandering around picking up your things and messing up your stuff. I agree with the idea of a public place like the park.

mel is offline   Reply With Quote