Help

First Grade

Bucket System

>

MrsBG83

Bucket System
Old 07-21-2012, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My new class will have as many as 36 kids this year. Yikes! I have 10 last year so I had much more room and could get away with being a little less organized. I can't pull that mess this year....
My principal let me know that she does have that many desks that match each other so she's putting tables in my room just like they had in kindergarten. She wants me to use crates, baskets, buckets and the like for the students' materials. I'm trying to think of how to do this. We're not getting the back of the chair thingys, end of discussion. I was thinking yaffa blocks for their heavier text books and pencil boxes. Math materials go in math baskets (we're doing Everyday Math). Reading materials go in reading baskets (we're doing Superkids). The baskets will be passed out by helpers. Science and social studies notebooks and folders will be passed out (I plan on alternating the two subjects by month....or by week....) Collection baskets for workbooks at the end of the week and homework baskets for the beginning of the week.
This will take practice for all of us I know.
Whew. Am I missing anything? Any ideas?

MrsBG83 is offline   Reply With Quote

K-Jeanne

tables
Old 07-21-2012, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have tables and love them!! Don't forget your community supplies for your crayons, pencils, scissors and glue. I kept those items in a separate area and the kids use them as needed. I also have forest rangers/captains for each table. They are the ones that will pass out paper, books, etc. Good luck with the 36 students!
K-Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Melissa/1st/TN

book covers as chair pockets
Old 07-21-2012, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There was a post on Pinterest about using the extra large stretchy book covers as chair pockets by putting one end over the chair back and then turing the other end inside out to make the pocket.
http://pinterest.com/pin/114912227962967789/

And also a post on using Home Depot aprons as chair pockets.
http://pinterest.com/pin/114912227961770221/

Hope these links work. If not, I'll try to repost. I can't believe you are going to have that many kids...that is INSANE!!!!
Melissa/1st/TN is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

If you don't want community supplies
Old 07-23-2012, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you don't want community supplies, I have seen different systems. One teacher provided space on a large cart for individual pencil boxes to be placed. The kids were instructed when to bring their pencil box to their table. Another teacher put crates under each table, and the kids kept their pencil boxes in those crates, along with certain folders and composition books. Their textbooks were stored on another table in the classroom. One teacher had individual mailbox type cubbies for her students. They kept their pencil boxes in the cubbies until she told them to get them. Chair pockets are a good idea, assuming the room is not so crowded that you would be brushing up against them and knocking them off the chairs.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote