Help

First Grade

Tables vs. Desks

>

SaberTeach

Tables vs. Desks
Old 07-21-2012, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our school has five first grade classrooms. Three of those classrooms have tables. I will be in a room with desks......however I would much prefer tables. I am thinking I would like to create "table" spaces out of the desks and still have group supplies and such........or am I crazy? Should I use the desks to teach the kids responsibility and organization? I have never taught first before......maybe desks have other advantages I am not thinking of......

SaberTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Savvy

desks
Old 07-21-2012, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am a fan of desks. I love that they can keep their own supplies inside. I don't want kids up and about trying to get supplies all day. There are a few notebooks that we keep in special locations so that they are not destroyed or drawn in.
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-21-2012, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use desks and prefer them. In addition to responsibility and organization, it really helps target the students who can and do. We aren't wasting whole class time passing out materials and books.

They are easy to move around and reseat kids. It does take some time to help them keep desks clean and organized, but I make that during their fun time (they get done, they get the free/fun time).

I don't have to find ways to organize and store so many class supplies since they keep them in their desks. No storing math books, markers, art supplies, notebooks, etc.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 07-21-2012, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I despise desks! After 6 years in first I'm finally getting tables! With desks they kept a minimal amt of things in their desks and most things were community supplies. It was just easier for me.
AD is offline   Reply With Quote

austeach

I had desks...
Old 07-21-2012, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

for years. I finally changed to tables and won't go back to desks. The desks took up more room in the class and the kids always stuffed papers and junk in the desks. It drove me crazy. You could push the tables together and use community supplies. You have to do what works for you and what you feel comfortable with.

austeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Melissa/1st/TN

love tables
Old 07-22-2012, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've had both and much prefer tables! I had the same problem with kids shoving stuff into their desks, cutting up erasers during lessons, and all sorts of goodies! Tables are so much easier. I keep a supply caddy on the table and they each have chair pockets for notebooks, etc.
Melissa/1st/TN is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

Desks
Old 07-22-2012, 08:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My students love desks. It is a big step from kindergarten. However when they have free time or center time they all gravitate to the tables I use for reading groups. My room is very large so we have the best of both worlds.

They are responsible for their own supplies and keeping their desks neat. Most can do this and the few that have a rough time get better as the school year passes.

I like desks because you can configure them to suit your needs. My desks are constantly being moved depending on my plans for the week or day. The students can move them around and get really good at it.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

tigertown

both
Old 07-22-2012, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have a combo of tables and desks. I push the desks together with the openings to the inside so they look like a table. Firsties have never had desks before so they don't miss the openings. We have a community supply basket in the middle of the desks. All of their personal stuff is either in their book basket or cubbie.
If you do have behavior issues you can pull the desks apart to separate people, you can't do that with tables.
I like having a variety.
tigertown is offline   Reply With Quote

luvztorite

desks
Old 07-22-2012, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have desks in my classroom and I prefer them. I can make them into tables if that's what I want and I can configure them into whatever shape I want. If I have a student who plays with objects in his/her desk, I just turn it around. I love being able to move the desks around, which is what I'll be doing this week in preparation for the opening of school August 8th.
luvztorite is offline   Reply With Quote

nicksgirl

Love desks!
Old 07-22-2012, 08:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

And HATE tables!

I like that desks can hold their things and can be reconfigured for different situations. I think that everyone likes a little personal space.

nicksgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

No tables!
Old 07-23-2012, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I know some people have gone to tables and say they will never go back to desks, but I hate tables. I hate the time it takes to pass out materials. I hate community supplies for several reasons. Kids do not always respect community supplies. Either they will abuse them or they will steal them. I don't think it is fair for a child who takes care of their things to have share supplies with a nose picker, or someone who tears up supplies. Some kids pick the erasers out of pencils while others can use a whole pencil without every needing another eraser. The teacher of one class used to have the kids put the supply bins on the floor beside the desks because some of her students could not see over the bins. It seemed like someone would end up tripping over the bins at some point, usually me, but sometimes the kids. Another teacher put plastic crates under the desks for the supplies and the kids were forever crawling under the tables for supplies. If one kid needed a new pencil, that kid had to pull out everyone else's pencil box to get to his. Another teacher had a rough class and had to bring in three desks to put students at who did not do well sitting in groups. With tables, there's always a number of kids who has to turn around to see instruction. One teacher went to tables last year because one of her students was driving her insane with the condition of his desk. Once she went to tables, the classroom floor was always a mess with other kids learning to keep up with their supplies and the table group members of the messy kid was forever cleaning their space to keep up after the messy friend. He did not learn to take care of his learning materials. He just gave everyone else extra responsibilities. I think she is going back to desks this year. One of the teachers went to tables because she was trying to make her room more of a community. You can have a community with desk groupings. Also, I agree with Nick'sgirl that everyone should have some personal space.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Marriedin79

idea from Pinterest
Old 07-23-2012, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

If you like the idea of having a table, especially since desks don't always stay in a table configuration but tend to creep away from one another, you could try using cable ties to connect the legs of one desk to another.

http://media-cache-ec5.pinterest.com...vvRdAVVT_c.jpg

Last edited by Marriedin79; 07-23-2012 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: link not correct
Marriedin79 is offline   Reply With Quote

sureads

tables vs. desks
Old 07-25-2012, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I was just thinking about this myself. I am starting at a new school and the other first grade teacher definitely wants tables. She can't understand why I would want desks. I considered tables but like others have said I like the flexibility of desks and I know how excited students get when they have their own desks. They like having something that is their own. Thanks to all of you who have given your ideas. This has helped me confirm that desks are the way for me to go. I also agree with the poster who commented on sharing supplies. I too do not think it is fair for children to have to share supplies with those who are less responsible and germs with those who do not have good habits.
sureads is offline   Reply With Quote

Loopy1/2

Old 07-29-2012, 05:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I love having tables in first grade. I can easily change where students sit when it is table time. I do learning centers or workshops and students rotate through these. I like the motor break for them. Each student has their own toolkit with the supplies they need and they just take that with them.
Loopy1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote