Help

Daily 5

Reading Street & Daily 5/Cafe

>

Learn Today

Reading Street & Daily 5/Cafe
Old 07-25-2012, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone who uses Reading Street and Daily 5/CAFE - would you be willing to share an example of one of your lessons plans? - a day or maybe a week (would be better).

I need to give my principal an example of a schedule and an example of a mini-lesson that you do using Reading Street.

THANKS

Learn Today is offline   Reply With Quote

rdgtchr99

Reading Street with CAFE
Old 07-25-2012, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use an older version of Reading Street (2007 maybe?), but it works beautifully with Daily 5 and CAFE. I've attached a week of lesson plans to give you an idea of how I break the main components of Reading Street into smaller chunks for mini-lessons. I've also attached a document that shows how Reading Street weekly comprehension skills and strategies align with CAFE strategies.

A couple of notes...
~I teach second grade.
~I use a different program for phonics, so none of my mini-lessons during my reading block use the Reading Street phonics skills.
~I like to use my third mini-lesson as a chapter book read-aloud. If an appropriate opportunity to teach/reinforce a strategy we're working on arises, of course, I'll use it, but it doesn't always work that way.
~I teach small groups Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Thursdays are for individual conferring and Fridays are for DIBELS progress monitoring. I felt that the Reading Street small group components were weak for Thursday and Friday, and this is a better use of time.
~As far as grades, I take two reading grades each week. On Thursdays (instead of going to their reading group) students complete the Fresh Read that Reading Street provides. These are leveled passages with comprehension questions specifically targeting our weekly skill. This gives me a quick way to assess students' ability to use the strategy we worked on that week with a text that is close to their level. The second grade I take is on the weekly selection test. We read the weekly basal story in our small groups on Tuesday and continue to discuss it throughout the week.
~Reading Street often suggests reading the same read-aloud piece two or more days in a row. I will often replace a duplicate reading with a picture book or other piece that I feel better demonstrates the strategy I'm modeling or that helps build more background on the topic.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Reading Street Skills and Strategies.pdf (116.8 KB, 486 views)
rdgtchr99 is offline   Reply With Quote

rdgtchr99

lesson plans
Old 07-25-2012, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I forgot I can only add one attachment per post. Here are my lesson plans.
Attached Files
File Type: docx Oct. 24-28, 2011.docx (29.7 KB, 357 views)
rdgtchr99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Learn Today

This is
Old 07-25-2012, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

great stuff - thanks for sharing. I teach 3rd grade but I think we're planning on doing things similar to what you are doing.
Learn Today is offline   Reply With Quote

kit1024

Old 07-27-2012, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Rdgtchr99 - thank you so much for posting those attachments! I'm third grade, but that is a good guideline for the structure of integrating RS with daily 5!

I actually was excited about blending these, as I feel I will have MORE opportunities to teach all the lessons I should be teaching (comprehension, vocab, phonics, fluency, etc), if I get in 3 mini lessons a day!

kit1024 is offline   Reply With Quote