Help

First Grade

Parent Teacher Conferences

>

1stGradeAlex

Parent Teacher Conferences
Old 09-30-2012, 08:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

It's hard to believe it's already time to post this, but I'm getting nervous about these already. I was wondering how much time you meet with each family and what your conference structure looks like. This is my first year teaching and I want to make sure I am giving my families as much information as possible. What resources do you share with them for working with their children at home?

1stGradeAlex is offline   Reply With Quote

stressgirl37

conferences
Old 09-30-2012, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have 30 minute blocks, although some won't take that long. I go over the baseline assessments, address any concerns with homework, behavior, etc. I also stress the importance of learning our 200 sight words and reading with someone at home (I give specific examples of what and how to read with their child- some really don't know). I will also cover a couple things like our upcoming fundraiser and field trip, then address any questions or concerns they might have.
stressgirl37 is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 09-30-2012, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our conferences are 30 minutes. Many don't take that long though. Some need more than that.

Since we have our conferences starting next week and we've been in school for barely a month, I do goal setting. I have a sheet (I can attach it here if I remember to email it to myself from school) that has space for 2 goals for reading, writing, math, behavior/social. I also set a goal for the parents with their help. They also set a goal for their child. Going through this, showing them where their child is at, and sharing academic expectations for the year takes most of the time.

I'm also planning to talk about sight word practice that we send home that go back and forth (many aren't doing-so I want to restart that with them and talk about the importance) as well as homework expectations.

I LOVE early conferences because it starts to set the tone for expectations for the year. Also, if there are any concerns, you can start talking to parents earlier rather than later in a face-to-face setting.
AD is offline   Reply With Quote

skittles1108

Old 10-02-2012, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My conferences are scheduled for 10 minutes. I quickly go through an assessment we did in the beginning of the and we did again right before the conference to show progress made or lack there of. I will show an example of the students work and a model of what it should look like. I also (try to) leave time for the parents questions or concerns. The time really flies so I have to squeeze it all in quickly- and this also includes everything being translated to spanish as well =)
skittles1108 is offline   Reply With Quote

shelmo77

Mine are usually 15 min.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think this year I may make my blocks of time a little longer though, because this is our first year with CCSS, so I may need extra time for parents to ask questions about it. I will most likely go with 20 - 25 minutes for each block.

shelmo77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Melissa/1st/TN

P/T conferences after school
Old 10-06-2012, 04:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

For the past few years, we have not have a day set aside for conferences...we have to fit all the meetings in after school for 4-5 days. It is exhausting1

I've usaully done 20 minutes in the fall and 15 at the optional Spring meeting.

I've prepared a slide show and handout that explains all the testing and assessments I've done over the first quarter. I have it marked if their child is at benchmark, below or above...then we set some goals for the next quarter.

I love meeting with my parents, but Ever since they took our day away to do it, I DREAD them!
Melissa/1st/TN is offline   Reply With Quote