Help

The VENT

remember my first teaching job..survey..join in

>

aggiemomx2

remember my first teaching job..survey..join in
Old 11-13-2012, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I turned down a Home Ec PubliC School job because my dad started crying that he didn't feel good about me moving an hour and a half away. So I took a job at a private school for $700 a month and drove 45 minutes to get there...
So that year in september I went to a church rally and met the love of my life. If I had taken the Home Ec job, I would not have met Mr. Aggie Dad! It's been a wonderful life!

aggiemomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

First teaching job
Old 11-13-2012, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Was in 1981 and I taught 6-7-8 grades special Ed. All subjects and all they gave me was a reading series. (I student taught K-2). I got paid $11,800. Thanks for the memories! I don't think it's gotten much easier over the 30 years!
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

Carrie Sue

Here is my story......
Old 11-13-2012, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I did move 90 minutes away for my first job and did not know anyone. I only planned to stay one year and then go back to hometown/big city and get a job. I had such a great year, I stayed one more and met the most wonderful local farm boy/non big city guy ever. Now 39 years later, here I am still in small town USA and cannot imagine living in the big city!
Carrie Sue is offline   Reply With Quote

VivianCP

First job...
Old 11-13-2012, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

was a 45 minute commute & I always listened to Johnny B. on the radio! Pay was under $10,000 a year but I loved it!! Still do.
VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I was already married,
Old 11-13-2012, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

and had three kids. I had gone back to college to finish my degree. I had to drive an hour to get to my classes and an hour to get home. I did that for five years and finished my student teaching in March of the year I graduated. I was PTA president at the school in the small town where we lived and where my kids went to school. I was offered a position teaching first grade in our town. I was so excited because I only lived 2 minutes from the school--no more long drives. I loved teaching there, and taught there for 2 years. Then my husband was offered a job in a neighboring state. I was crushed. I really wanted to stay where I was, but of course, moved with him. I ended up getting a job in the town where we moved, and have taught there for 19 years. I love teaching here.

linda2671 is online now   Reply With Quote

3togo

My first job
Old 11-13-2012, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My first teaching job was in 1979. I had a grade 5 & 6 class that was truly the class from h---! I lived in a big city and the school was in a very small, sort of rural community about an hour away. Starting salary was $14,040! It was definitely the most difficult year of my 33 year career! I almost didn't survive that year, but I'm glad I did because I had many, many wonderful years after that.
3togo is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

First Job...
Old 11-13-2012, 08:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

was in 1979. Grew up in Upstate NY, college in Western PA.

Got a job in Idaho and moved 2100 miles! The interview was over the phone (!!!), and when the position was offered, I then flew out to check it out (cold feet set in). I had never been west of the Mississippi! I've been here since - not in the same town, as I met my husband through a colleague in my first district and moved after getting married.

So, I guess if I had NOT moved, I'd have never met the love of my life!

My poor Swedish immigrant grandmother! She thought I was moving to the "Wild West" and imagined all sorts of Hollywood "Cowboy and Indian" scenes!
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

First Teaching Job
Old 11-13-2012, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My first teaching job (1979) was 66% in sixth grade...I had graduated in 1974, but WI was in the midst of school lay-offs rather than hiring new teachers.

All of my sixteen students that first year had two parents...not one divorce. No one was on free and reduced lunch, and everybody bought their own school supplies.

My principal was a man who had been my principal when I was in third, fourth, fifth, and sixth grades. We also shared the classroom...he was the principal plus a 34% teacher. I had no benefits, but I did begin contributing to state retirement that year.

The following fall (1980), there were no full-time openings so I put up all my bulletin boards and began making plans for the first week of school. School began on Monday, and on Thursday afternoon, the principal told me I was moving into a full-time position at another school.

That afternoon/evening, I took down all the bulletin boards, organized the room for the new teacher, and packed all my belongings. The next morning, I went to the new school and spent that day and the weekend getting ready to begin a new school year on Monday.

Thirty-two years later, I retired from the same school district. I began my teaching career in one building, spent twenty-one years in a second building until is closed, and returned to the first building where I worked another ten years.

I am so thankful I was in the right place at the right time that fall of 1979, and that my first principal had faith in my ability. With a few exceptions, my district was wonderful, and I had a fabulous career as a teacher!!
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 11-13-2012, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My first job was in a private school and the salary was $9,000.00 for the entire nine month school year. The principal often said that "anyone could be a teacher;all you need is a chalkboard and a piece of chalk." I took a few years off after one year of teaching, had two kids and got a job in the public school system. Those days they offered lifetime medical benefits. Can you imagine?
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

freckleface

First job
Old 11-13-2012, 08:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I graduated in 1975 from college and moved west to a tiny town with a catholic school to teach 4th gr. I came from the city and so this was a shock by itself! The school was also really small. One class per grade. I got paid $6800 for 9 months and no benefits! I, too, was only going to stay 2 years and then move on to a city. Well, I, too, met the love of my life, a farmer from this tiny town and we married. Still teaching, but am in the 3rd school of my career!

freckleface is offline   Reply With Quote

Garden Gal

First
Old 11-13-2012, 09:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My first teaching job was in 1979 (a popular PT year). I taught remedial math part time to grades 2 and 3. The following year I got a full time job teaching 1st grade. I had 37 students. 7 did not speak English, and 34 qualified for Title 1. I had an experienced and wonderful Title 1 aide and a sweet part- time "over load" aide. They were both old enough to be. My mother! I never would have survived the year without them.
Garden Gal is offline   Reply With Quote

NJteachfirst

Back when...
Old 11-14-2012, 01:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

1993 in a locked juvinile home mostly sex offenders. $21,000. had to dispense meds and spent most of my days in restraints with my students. It certainly taught to appreciate what I have, and not to sweat the small things at work!
NJteachfirst is offline   Reply With Quote

beagles2

Old 11-14-2012, 05:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I took a job in a school that was opening one grade level at a time. I was hired as the first third grade teacher - the other lady who got hired was younger and had worked as an assistant for the past two years. She would talk to me and wasn't unfriendly, but refused to plan or talk about curriculum. I don't know if she was competitive or unsure of herself, but she wouldn't work with me. Everything was a secret - she shared nothing. That is why, 18 years later, I guess I like to work alone. For the first 5 years I had to, so now it's just what I do.

BTW, she isn't teaching anymore.
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 11-14-2012, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My first year started out with subbing. I subbed every day, grades K-12, but I mainly went to the middle and high schools since most subs didn't want those jobs. The second semester I was full time in the English department. One teacher was on maternity leave for six weeks. As soon as that finished, I took over for a senior English teacher who was on sick leave. I finished the year for her. I took over completely and had no contact with her. I had upper level seniors.

The next year was my shocker. I was hired where I had subbed, and I had LOW seniors, average juniors, and low freshmen, plus I went to the middle school and taught reading and health to 7th graders. I had no classroom and five preps. I was also completing my internship and taking grad classes at night.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Catdog12

Old 11-14-2012, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

The principal at my first job reached me thru my DH. I was doing a 6-week sub job. I had put my application in several neighboring school districts. The school that I was really interested in had an opening in January and couldn't reach me because I was subbing. I guess I had put my DH's work on the application so she called him and asked for me to come interview. I was so surprised!

I ended up working there for 15 years.
Catdog12 is offline   Reply With Quote

techteacher

Old 11-15-2012, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

1990 was my first year. $19,666. Thought it was a million dollars! I had no classroom, 3 floors of an old building, 2 different grades (7 & 8)and 3 different preps. It was horrible but I stuck it out and stayed at that school for 6 years. I did get a room and one grade and subject the second year so I guess I paid my dues that first year!

Went down to 5th and now in my 22nd year...seems like yesterday
techteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

oreocat

First Job...
Old 11-17-2012, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

My first job was in 1995. I was from Michigan. I received a call from a California district. I interviewed over the phone. I flew from my very small town in Michigan and landed in LA two days later. I knew no one in California. The job was in Central California. I had no place to stay and I had to start school in two days. There was absolutely nothing in my classroom. This district was 100% ESOL. The average education level for the community was less than 3rd grade. In spite of all those challenges, I loved it! I still miss that little district. I have since moved to metro Atlanta and work for a very large, diverse district. It is very impersonal. The kids are no where near as well behaved as my first district. We compete with football/cheerleading/baseball. The kids do not have the love of learning that my classes did in California. School was the only game in town and the kids looked forward to going. I also miss working under a union.
oreocat is offline   Reply With Quote

damarnfl

First Job
Old 11-17-2012, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

When I graduated from university in 1994, there were NO jobs in the Vancouver, BC area, not even subbing. I had had an interview in the town of Prince George, BC (about 8 hours from Vancouver) and moved up there to sub. My first class was a Grade 5/6 class that I took over for a teacher whose husband was killed in an avalanche on a weekend. I had subbed at the school on the Friday and was teaching in the class on the Monday. No idea what was going on or what they were studying. My principal was wonderful and helpful! The school was on the outskirts of town and about an hour's drive. I met my DH in Prince George when I applied to be his roommate when I first moved there. One year later, we were dating and 17 years later, we're celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary! Would never have met him if I had stayed in Vancouver.

On a side note, my first teaching job when we moved to Calgary, Alberta, was at a school where I had my interview the day after my DH had a heart attack (he made me go). I made it through the entire interview without breaking down, but when the principal asked if she could contact me at home later to let me know, I burst into tears and had to tell her the whole story and that I would be at the hospital not at home. I got the job and DH recovered.
damarnfl is offline   Reply With Quote

StoneSoup

One Room
Old 11-17-2012, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I started teaching in 1989 in a one-room school. Yep, we still had a few in our state. I had 2-K, 1-1, 1-3, 2-5, and 2-8th graders. I had no principal (phone calls to parents solved behavior issues) and no janitor (Students and I were responsible for keeping the school clean during the school year. The parents and students did a deep clean every year before school started.) I was an elementary major, so working with junior high students was a whole new ball of wax. I had no real budget. I ordered what I needed, and they paid. (I was very careful to stay low though.) I set up my own schedule both for the school year and the daily schedule. I learned sooooo much teaching there.
I taught there for 14 years and I loved it. The community, parents, students, and I were all so sad when the state forced consolidation.
StoneSoup is offline   Reply With Quote

doc2000

Old 11-17-2012, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

My first job was 50 min. away and I was the 7th teacher the class had that year and it was only Dec. (1976). My yearly salary was $8,000. and we (wife) thought we were rich!!!!
doc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

schoolgirl3

Fisrt job
Old 11-17-2012, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

was in 1978, 2nd grade in the district from which I graduated. There were teachers in the building I couldn't make myself call them anyting but mrs. or Mr. so-n-so. My salary was a little over $9,400. I brought home more per week working at Rike's/Lazarua/Macy's. I actually thought my check was for less because I had only worked 8 days during that 2-week period instead of 10 days! Live and learn, I guess.
schoolgirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote

readwithme

Old 11-17-2012, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

My first job was in 1992 at a time when you had to land an interview just to sub in public schools. I couldn't even get a sub job but I was lucky to get a part time 1st grade English and math for girls at a Hebrew school (I'm not Jewish). It was an odd set up, but i learned a lot about Orthodox Jews and I did enjoy the 8 girls in my class. Lasted one year and husband ended up being laid off from his job and we moved out of state where I was lucky to land a 1st grade job in a public school (the person interviewing was Jewish and assumed I was too because of the Hebrew school and that's why she pulled my résumé out of the stack - very few Jews living in that area). If it wasn't for that little part time job for one year, I wouldn't have been selected to interview and get the job I did.
readwithme is offline   Reply With Quote

AX Pendergast

10 years, four schools
Old 11-20-2012, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

One month after getting my credential, I got a contract to finish out the school year. No subbing required!
Spent two years on the Home/Hospital squad - taught one year in our local children's hospital, going bed to bed, teaching any subject/grade. One hour with me = one full day of school. Kids stayed up on work, I met lots of wonderful, heroic kids. Loved it...until three of my students ended up dying in a 3 month period.
Spent the next year working with medically homebound kids: drove to their houses and taught them one-on-one. Again - very rewarding. Of course...well, you know.

At the end of my 2nd year, the district decreed that that position must have a Sp. Ed credential...which I did not have. So, I was excessed and sent to my first classroom, teaching 6th gr. science/SS.

Great for the year...then I was excessed again...and sent to a low-performing school. During the two years I was there (6th Eng/SS), I went through hell and back several times. I was given the kids with the worst behavior in the school, kids who had been expelled from other schools, kids w/no respect...and no admin support to speak of. At the end of my 2nd year there, I excessed myself and headed to my 4th school...

Where I have been for the last four years. Great support, awesome kids, good co-workers. But I feel that I learned the most during my first two years, working with kids who wanted to learn despite being injured, despite being terminal.

Given the chance, I'd go back to that in a heartbeat.
AX Pendergast is offline   Reply With Quote