Help

Teachers' Lounge

are you gluten/wheat/dairy free?

>

dairylover

dairylover

are you gluten/wheat/dairy free?
Old 05-22-2013, 02:56 PM

I had my chiropractor do some blood tests on me. He was trying to figure out my rosacea problem. He gave some not so awesome news. My vitamin D level is very low. He also said I have a gluten/wheat allergy. Ugh. Your level is supposed to be .15 and mine was 5.95! Finally, he said I should try to cut out dairy. Dairy is a difficult one. I LOVE MILK!! I drink at least 1/2 gallon a day. So it looks like some diet changes are necessary. Good news is he said this would not only help my rosacea but it could help us conceive as well. That's a bonus for sure.

However, now I'm trying to figure out what to eat. I know lots of you must have experience with this. I'm primarily interested in gluten/wheat free. He said he thought I might be able to introduce dairy after a few weeks.

luv2u

Dairy free/wheat free
Old 05-22-2013, 03:30 PM

try looking into the Paleo diet. There is a great deal on-line and books out. You may want to ask if you can drink do goat milk products. You may also find you can do almond or soy milk. Don't know what area of the country you are in, but Kroger, Meijer, Earth Fare, ect. have many wheat free products. Good luck!
luv2u is offline   Reply With Quote

I ♥ cats

Old 05-22-2013, 03:36 PM

I have nothing against chiropractors - in fact I'm going to one right now for help recovering from a car accident - but I would get a second opinion from an allergist or a gastroenterologist who specializes in sensitivities or allergies. My husband has celiac disease so we've been through all the testing. It is diagnosed by a blood test and your rosacea very well could be connected, but I'd still want a second opinion from a more specialized doctor before I made any radical diet changes. If you do decide to get a second opinion, you have to be eating wheat for the test to be accurate. JMHO. Good luck!
I ♥ cats is offline   Reply With Quote
dairylover

dairylover

also...
Old 05-22-2013, 03:45 PM

I love my chiropractor! He has literally solved every health problem I have ever had. He even diagnosed my dog with Lyme Disease after three vets could not do the same. I go to him for everything. He's not just a bone cracker!

Miller

Old 05-22-2013, 04:32 PM

blood tests were VERY inaccurate for me when a scratch test at the allergist was extremely accurate.

Trying a GFCF diet may be a good change.

Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

ChiMom

Old 05-22-2013, 04:45 PM

I have celiac and have been gluten free since 2007. However, are you SURE you have rosacea????? I was diagnosed with that too, in 1998. It was a red rash across my nose and cheeks. Then, in 2006, I found out it was not rosacea at all, but lupus. Systemic lupus, and a main characteristic of the disease is a butterfly-shaped rash across the cheeks and nose. Once you have one auto-immune disease, others often follow. Celiac is an auto-immune disease; so is lupus. It might be worthwhile to check with a rheumatologist, just in case.

Oh, and low vitamin D is VERY common with auto-immune diseases. I just found out mine is low again, and I already take a multivitamin and Vitamin D supplements.

Last edited by ChiMom; 05-22-2013 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: added something
ChiMom is offline   Reply With Quote

rlyndecker

Vitamin D
Old 05-22-2013, 05:11 PM

is very low but I was told it was because I don't like outside (I tell my family/students that I am allergic to it ) Oh and did I mention I am a California girl 100%

Anyway as PP stated
Quote:
but I would get a second opinion from an allergist or a gastroenterologist who specializes in sensitivities or allergies.
OR go to a dermatologist for the Rosacea issue (I have that) then go on the elimination diet. To be honest that's the ONLY way that I have heard that "PROVES" what you are allergic to (unless you are deathly allergic to something).

My roommate is gluten free & I "try" to be dairy free (as I just got home from 31 flavors , we won't mention how congested I am going to be!).

There are a TON of Gluten free products now, my roommate even gets gluten free pizza @ Trader Joes, she gets bread & bagels too. Then there are a bunch of cereals now a days. Overall, eat tons of veggies/fruits too.

Take a Vitamin D supplement too (I have to!).

GOOD LUCK & keep us updated!
rlyndecker is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 05-22-2013, 05:46 PM

I did gluten free/dairy free for awhile, but did not get the benefits I was looking for (pain relief). I did lose weight, though!

I would first recommend eliminating one thing at a time. It will be a whole lot easier to adjust to the limitations if it isn't such a drastic diet change at once.

I would also recommend having a plan in place with recipes and everything before you start. I came home from the doctor determined to never eat gluten again and it didn't last long the first time because I didn't fill my cabinets and refrigerator with enough foods that I COULD eat. You don't want to feel deprived or it will be a lot harder to stick with it!
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote
dairylover

dairylover

interesting
Old 05-22-2013, 06:15 PM

This is all very interesting to me. A few years ago I went to a doctor because I was (and still am) experiencing hearing loss in one ear. I was sent to a rheumotologist for some testing related to it. My "rosacea" is predominately on my cheeks, but also on my forehead, and chin.I was at a dermotologist for that a few months ago and he said it was rosacea. He put me on medication and it went away, however because we are TTC I had to go off of it. Now I'm wondering if everything is related.

ChiMom

As far as what to eat...
Old 05-22-2013, 06:46 PM

Eating gluten free isn't really as hard as you might think, but it is different. I build my meals around protein, vegs, and fruit for the most part. For example, dinner might be baked chicken, broccoli, and an ear of corn. For carbs, try baked potatoes, sweet potatoes, brown rice, etc. Avoid most packaged foods, because they often have gluten. I tend to cook a large meal on Sunday, and either freeze portions for the rest of the week, or just eat leftovers for a couple days. Maybe a crock pot meal, a roast, or a tray of chicken legs.

There are a ton of great gluten free products, as another poster said. Kroger carries many, as well as Whole Foods, and other stores and specialty stores. You can still make your old favorite foods that you made with wheat, just buy some gluten-free baking mix and use that instead of flour. Instead of bread crumbs, use corn flake crumbs. Gluten free pasta is available most places, but it's best used in baked pasta dishes (lasagna, baked spaghetti, macaroni and cheese, etc).

Feel free to message me if you have any questions about gluten free meals, or auto immune issues. I'm not here every day, but every few days usually.

ChiMom is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 05-22-2013, 06:48 PM

I would get a second opinion too from a doctor who specializes in allergies.

I loosely follow the Paleo plan. You can google it and get several websites. It's dairy and wheat free. I say "loosely" because I'm not 100% dairy and wheat free. I would say 90% dairy free and 75% wheat free.

I used to LOVE milk too. I could easily drink 2-3 glasses with dinner (and have a glass with breakfast). I don't miss it now. I've had a couple sips of milk since January. It doesn't even phase me now!

I don't have any allergies or intolerances. I do it strictly from a weight loss/healthy eating point.
AD is offline   Reply With Quote

r9miles

Your chiro is probably right
Old 05-23-2013, 10:38 AM

I wouldn't waste mine time on a second opinion. Try the diet first it is healthy. Ps terrible roseacea here and the only thing that helps is a carb and sugar restricted diet
r9miles is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 05-23-2013, 02:15 PM

I agree that being wheat free isn't as hard as it first appears. Also, 1/2 GALLON of milk a day is a lot. When I quit so much dairy, my arthritis stopped. We can develop problems with anything we eat a lot of.
Now, I've realized that as long as I restrict wheat and sugar, dairy doesn't bother me.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

Margaret916

I am!
Old 05-23-2013, 03:20 PM

I eat Paleo or Primal at all times now - and I feel SOOO good! I dont have any of the belly issues that I had. I was diagnosed with IBS but it's really a gluten sensitivity/allergy. Also, I have fibromyalgia and I am doing soooo much better. Avoiding dairy and gluten have reduced my inflammation greatly!

If you get the Vitamin D under control too - taking supplements is good to get your levels back up.

So, no grain or wheat. I also avoid most dairy - every now and then I have some grass fed cheese, but that's it.

SO what do I eat? Lots of meat and veggies fruit and nuts! Avoid processed crap. If it comes in a package, I usually don't get it. If it has one or two ingredients then maybe. Watch out for carrageenan in almond and soy milk if you go that route. It causes a lot of trouble for lots of people too. Eating this way means I go to the grocery story often and I buy in small batches from the farmers market each week.

A typical day?

Breakfast:
black coffee
2 or 3 eggs, scrambled with some veggies (frozen or fresh)
2 or 3 strips of nitrate free bacon

Lunch:
leaner meat (deer steak is a favorite or chicken breast) plus veggies. Today I had grass fed ground beef, crumbled and browned with home canned tomatoes and shredded cabbage with a half of a small zucchini.

Dinner:
more meat and veggies.
Today I had a salad with mixed greens, steak strips, red peppers, mandarin oranges.

Sometimes I have fruit or almonds/cashews for my snack.

I drink coconut milk and use it and almond flour to cook with.

I'm happy to help if you want to talk. Here is my pinterest board too if you want to look for my paleo/primal recipe board.
www.pinterest.com\margaret916
Margaret916 is offline   Reply With Quote

b2t

Old 05-24-2013, 06:05 AM

I am also a milk lover! Unfortunately as I've grown older I've developed lactose intolerance. I drink almond milk now. It's not the same taste but it will do.

Ditto on cutting out one thing at a time. It will make the transition a lot easier. Good luck.
b2t is offline   Reply With Quote