Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Anybody else low carb?

>

multigrade

Anybody else low carb?
Old 05-27-2013, 02:37 PM

I've 'done' low carb off and on for years. I always feel better when I eat that way.

Now, I've realized that I've got to stop thinking of it as a diet and just focus on it being the way I need to eat. Lots of carbs makes me feel bad, so why would I keep eating that way?

I know everybody may not feel better eating this way, but why can't it be a viable option? I recently heard an estimate that 2/3 of the US would do better eating this way...diabetes, obesity, etc.

Anybody else feel better eating lower carbs? Do you get tired of defending your food choices?

multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

Yes
Old 05-27-2013, 02:42 PM

I eat low carb and feel great.
I have lost 35 pounds and maintained since Christmas.
I don't worry about it if someone asks I just say I feel better.
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Texas K-Girl

Question about low carb diet
Old 05-27-2013, 02:49 PM

My DH has been trying to do low carb recently. However, he says he feels like he has no energy most of the time. A friend who goes to a gym told him it is the low carb diet and that doing low carb diets are NOT good for you. I am thinking the friend has a trainer who probably told him this as he was most likely selling some type of weight loss/protein powder that he is getting a kick back for at his gym. (Don't know this for sure, just suspect),
Opinions please.
Texas K-Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 05-27-2013, 02:56 PM

At first I was weak, but drinking regular broth (with SALT!) made me feel better in minutes.
Also, I've had problems with systemic yeast infections. That can cause weakness, but not eating enough will do it, too.
If your DH is doing the Atkins version of low carb, he needs to go to their website and ask questions on their beginner's forum.
Has DH had his blood work done? I'd guess it's getting better, if it's been a little while since starting. I grow weary of hearing that a low fat/high carb diet is 'healthy'.
Good video: the science and practice of low carb diets...
http://ondemand.duke.edu/search/?q=D...nt=12&x=37&y=8

Maestra

Old 05-27-2013, 02:57 PM

Carbohydrates do give your body energy and they are needed for a healthy, balanced diet. There is a difference between low carb and NO carb or extremely low carb. Also, the kind of carbs make a big difference, too. Fruits and vegetables have carbs but very different that cookies and candies. Whole grains are better for you.

Personally, I would feel very deprived on a low carb diet. But that is just me. I am trying to avoid refined carbs and processed stuff. I know some people who do very well on low carb diets. I think moderation is the key.

I think the "low fat" fad is a thing of the past. Now we hear more about healthy fats than low fats. Fats are what make you feel full. Again, moderation is important.

Maestra is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 05-27-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I think moderation is the key.
That may work well for you and others, but I know how I feel when I eat more than a few grams of whole grains.
The above video is good for those wanting to know more of this way of eating.
Quote:
Carbohydrates do give your body energy and they are needed for a healthy, balanced diet.
The above video contradicts this statement.
Please know I'm not trying to argue. Just wanted to share this video for those who are interested.

Maestra

Old 05-27-2013, 03:16 PM

Atkins and other low carb proponents have bashed carbs for a long time. The video from Duke is in that same category. I'm not trying to argue, either, but there is research, videos and arguments from both camps.

If you do well on low-carb, that's great - for you. You shouldn't have to defend how you eat. For me, I would eventually suffer from deprivation which would most likely end up in a binge. I will have to watch my carbs - forever. I have recently lost 90 pounds and yes, my carbs and the kind of carbs I eat are limited. But I could never do Atkins (I just don't care much for meat) and I did try the South Beach diet because I felt it was a little healthier and more doable for me. But, summer rolled around and I just couldn't look at corn-on-the-cob as a "bad food"!

I really was responding to the poster who thought her husband's trainer was taking him for a ride by saying low carb was bad for you. There is research on both sides. I think each person needs to decide for themselves what will work for them as a lifelong way of eating and living.
Maestra is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 05-27-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I think each person needs to decide for themselves what will work for them as a lifelong way of eating and living.
I agree.
I'm glad you've found the way of eating which works for you.

h0kie

Carbs
Old 05-27-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I think each person needs to decide for themselves what will work for them as a lifelong way of eating and living.
Good point!

Or better yet, make the decision with the help of a physician. Carbs are a slippery slope for me. It's all or nothing. So I feel I have to choose nothing. My doctors are aware of how I eat and I follow their "rules"...most days. For me, protein is more important than anything else, then fruits and veggies, then if I have room a bite or two of bread, rice, pasta, or potatoes.

It just doesn't make sense to cut out an entire food group. Plus, when/if you add that food group back in, you're going to gain weight immediately.

Right now, I'm working on balance. It may be a LONG road.
h0kie is online now   Reply With Quote

javamomma

Dr
Old 05-27-2013, 03:51 PM

My doctor recommended south beach to me. I had never really thought about low carb before.

javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Margaret916

I eat low carb - Paleo
Old 05-27-2013, 03:57 PM

And I feel phenomenal. I get my "carbs" from fruits and the occasional sweet potato. I eat high-quality meat and eggs (grassfed, organic and free-range when possible), fruit, veggies and nuts. Occasionally I have a little bit of grass-fed cheese (moving into the pattern of eating known as Primal).

I am gluten sensitive and it makes me feel gross (sick to my stomach, tired, bloated and crampy). The grains that are processed and grown now are very different than the ancestral grains that our diet evolved from!

The book Wheat Belly is a great resource as is It Starts With Food.

I have lost weight, gained muscle, trained for and completed 15+ 5Ks, 2 obstacle 5Ks and a half marathon over the last year.

The thing I love about this lifestyle (lift heavy things, move your body, get good sleep, eat real food, deal with and control stress) is that it isn't perfection-based. Most Paleo folks aim for an 80/20 rule in their daily life. 80% of the time we make the BEST choices possible and 20% of the time make good, but not perfect choices. This is where my wine comes in

I'm happy to chat with you if you want! You are absolutely right about this being a way of life - not a diet. This is why it has worked for me. It's not a diet that I will eat the wrong thing and blow it....It is the way I live now!

I won't lie - there are times I want a piece of bread (like tonight, out with BF and friends at an italian restaurant and they were all chowing down) and I just weigh the decision: Is it worth being sick to my stomach tonight and at work tomorrow? Tonight it wasn't worth it.... sometimes it is (like a piece of cake on my birthday) but I typically choose to make a paleo treat instead!

PS - I find it ironic that you asked the question about whether any of us are tired of defending our food choices, and that is exactly what you ended up doing in response to others' messages. Hope you can find osme other PTers that will be your support! It helps me to have friends that eat this way (and several staff at my school too) so I'm not the only one ALL the time being different.
Margaret916 is offline   Reply With Quote

Faith508

multigrade
Old 05-27-2013, 04:01 PM

I enjoy life better when I eat low carb foods. I get my carbs from dairy, nuts, vegetables and fruits. If I eat more than a minimal amount of sugar or flour, I do not feel well. I have been on a low carb healthy eating plan for over 10 years.
But I had a major departure from low carb eating about 2 years ago. The weight came roaring back. I was very fluffy and heavier than ever. I felt terrible and I wanted to eat all the time.
I went back to low carb eating last summer and I feel so much healthier and happier.
Everyone needs to find an eating plan that what works best for them.
Cheers to you!

Last edited by Faith508; 05-27-2013 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: added
Faith508 is offline   Reply With Quote

Spedqn1

Yes, but...
Old 05-27-2013, 04:06 PM

I do feel much healthier, more energetic, etc when I'm following a low carb diet. However, I don't exclude carbs completely unless I'm seriously trying to lose a few extra pounds. I eat fruit, (although mostly berries, I have fresh pineapple, grapes, etc in moderation.) I also use high fiber bread and wraps again, in moderation. I don't restrict veggies except for corn (which I still eat when in season). For me, I can pretty easily restrict simple carbs at breakfast and lunch, but at supper I allow myself a small serving of potatoes, rice, or whatever. It works for me.

I tend to look at this eating plan as high fiber, while avoiding white flour and white sugar. That doesn't mean I don't ever eat junk food. It's just the exception rather than the rule.
Spedqn1 is online now   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 05-27-2013, 04:08 PM

It is important to find support. I have one coworker who is also low carb, but that's it. DH thinks I'm hurting myself...and most of his calories are sugar based.
I've appreciated this conversation. It's just nice to hear others feel well eating more like I do.

Flteachersmom

Old 05-27-2013, 04:46 PM

so what do you low carbers eat in a typical day????
Flteachersmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 05-27-2013, 05:21 PM

yes, I feel better low carb. When I eat heavy carbs or a heavy carb meal I feel light-headed and jittery.

I don't usually defend myself. When people think I'm skinny and can "afford" to eat whatever, I say that I'm the size I am because I DON'T eat that stuff.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

tmar

Low Carb
Old 05-27-2013, 05:32 PM

For Flateachrsmom:
My low carb day would be egg (scrambled or hard boiled for breakfast) with green tea, tuna/vegetables with ranch dip, yogurt and/or fruit or salad for lunch, dinner baked chicken or fish with steamed veggies. Now that my DH and I are at our target weights (he lost 65 and I lost 25) we can also have other stuff, just not at every meal. So I don't really feel deprived. I just don't eat that way every day.
tmar is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 05-28-2013, 04:21 AM

I eat meat, veg, nuts, dairy and some fruit. (I'm still losing weight.) I can handle a low carb bread product which is for weight loss, but it has only 4 grams of carb and most of it isn't wheat. (A slice of bread has about 12g.) A little more of oats doesn't make me hurt.

Since we were at a cookout yesterday, I thought I'd try eating a little of what everybody else ate...a modest serving of the deserts, wheat based. I woke up during the night with SO MUCH PAIN in my shoulders. I'd forgotten how bad it could hurt. So, I won't do that again.
----

----

Old 05-28-2013, 12:19 PM

I tend to eat low fat most of the time (chocolate is my downfall) naturally. I find that the less white flour/sugar I eat, the better I feel, and the longer I go without it the less I crave large amounts. I could totally eat fast food every day - The more I eat it, the more I want it - and I'd by a gassy, stomach achy, lazy mess. I avoid it at all costs because it snowballs so fast.

"Low carb" is a misnomer for me - It's more "low white flour/sugar." I get plenty of carbs from fruits and veggies. A typical day when I'm really watching it would be:

Breakfast: Plain Greek yogurt with fresh fruit and flaxseed OR plain Greek yogurt smoothie with spinach leaves (can't taste 'em, I promise!), tons of frozen fruit to sweeten it (peaches, bananas, pineapple, and blueberries are my favorites in various combinations), and flaxseed. Steel cut oats with lots of fruit to sweeten it and some milk.

Lunch or dinner: Taco or fajita seasoned ground meat or chicken with onions/peppers heated up and dumped over baby spinach or some kind of dark green leaves as a hot salad, a piece of fruit. Soup bulked up with a TON of veggies. Turkey black bean chili (sautee onions, add meat and brown, dump in whatever veggies you have around and a can of beans and chili powder, put in a jar of salsa, let it simmer) with cheese. 2 eggs scrambled with a TON of diced veggies in a giant bowl. Two homemade veggie or turkey burgers (there are really easy recipes out there) without buns with carrot sticks and some other vegetable. Veggie stir fry with chicken in it over quinoa. Baked chicken in a salad (lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, peppers, zucchini, shredded cheese). Homemade guacamole (avocado mashed with sea salt) bulked up with whatever diced veggies I have (celery, carrots, rainbow peppers, zucchini, onion, garlic, etc.) and scooped on fat slices of rainbow pepper.

I try to make a rule that after breakfast, before I put anything in my mouth, I have to eat a full serving of veggies. Want that chip? Just one? Bag of carrots first. It helps fill me up and diffuse the craving, and that way if I still do crave it I end up eating less because I'm already full. I don't defend my choices because I find good stuff to make that I like. If I WANT to eat it, I'm not defensive about it.

multigrade

Old 05-28-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I don't defend my choices because I find good stuff to make that I like. If I WANT to eat it, I'm not defensive about it.
I'm glad that there seem to be so many of you who aren't criticized about your food choices. There honestly are more important things for folks to think about.
-------

-------

Old 05-28-2013, 01:27 PM

I guess it's just not something I discuss with others. I prepare the food, I eat the food. If I'm eating with others and they comment, I offer to share the recipe. I never state that I eat "low carb" or "fat free" or "Paleo" or anything else, I just eat my meal. If I'm at a restaurant, I try to pick something with at least 2 servings of vegetables and I eat those portions first, then go on to the protein/carb and stop when I'm full. If I'm offered something that doesn't fit my diet, I just say, "Oh, thanks so much but I'm all set/full/just ate!" If they insist, I take one, wrap it in a napkin 'for later' or put it on the edge of my plate, and don't eat it. I'd never say, "No thanks, I eat low carb," which opens up a world of faux pas: "Oh, you can have just one!" "How do you do that?" "I could never!" "That's such a fad." "You're too skinny to diet!" "Ew, I hate vegetables." "How do you live without cake?"

Are you using your 'low carb' as a discussion topic or as a way to refuse restaurants/treats offered? I can't imagine someone looking at my lunch and criticizing what I'm eating unless I bring it up first. It's like Stephanie's Ponytail by Robert Munsch: "It's mmmyyyyyy lunch and IIIIIIIII like it!"

multigrade

Old 05-29-2013, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Are you using your 'low carb' as a discussion topic or as a way to refuse restaurants/treats offered? I can't imagine someone looking at my lunch and criticizing what I'm eating unless I bring it up first.
No, it gets brought up by others because it doesn't look healthy to them. Maybe they've got too much time on their hands.
Thanks. I don't argue, but will continue to smile.