Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Too fat to fly? I'm scared...

>

Lottalove

Too fat to fly? I'm scared...
Old 06-01-2013, 09:52 AM

DH, DD and I want to take a summer trip. Since I am at least 100 poinds overweight, I am so afraid I will be embarrassed to arrive at the airport and humiliated like some of those who have made the news...

If we have to purchase an extra seat for me, we will not be able to afford the trip. Our budget is a close call already.

It has been years since I've flown. I am bigger than I've ever been before. Air travel is rarely comfortable under ideal circumstances. It is not that I want to be fat--I don't, of course. I've really tried to lose as well. No matter how had I've tried, I'll lose a little and then stall and eventually regain it.

I can still go to the movies, I sit in the seats in auditoriums and similar but I hate this.... I already hate being fat. I hate that I potentially embarrass my DH or child. I hate what I am feeling right now... It almost makes me sick to think of it....

UUUGGGHHHH!!!

Last edited by Lottalove; 06-01-2013 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: typo
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Green22

Old 06-01-2013, 09:57 AM

I have been there! I thought I was going to get kicked off of a rollercoaster at one time because I was so overweight. It was very embarrassing. Have you considered calling the airline to talk to them about it? They may be able to help you out and avoid a public scene. I think I read an article recently that said airline seats are about 18 inches wide. I so hope that everything goes smoothly for you. Hang in there, friend!
Green22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tulips

airlines
Old 06-01-2013, 10:09 AM

I know, and those seats are way too close together to begin with. I was about 100 pounds overweight the last time I flew, and I just fit in the seats. But, I', 6'1" so maybe I'm not as wide as someone who's shorter. (No offense intended, just trying to explain)

I would book seats with you on one end, and the thinnest person in the middle seat, this way if there's a little extra you you'll only bother a family member and not a stranger. I think, as long as the seatbelt will fit, the flight attendant won't say anything, and they do have those seatbelt extenders.

I'd call the airlines, you'll be anonymous, and just ask to ease your mind.

Also, if possible, fly JetBlue. They have slightly wider seats.
Tulips is offline   Reply With Quote

Margaret916

some airlines have test seats
Old 06-01-2013, 10:15 AM

while it is humiliating to go to the airport (near the check in space) and test to see if you fit, it is better than boarding and finding out you can't fit.

I have been there....i was so scared to fly! I am 5'8 and was a tight size 24. I fit, but not comfortably at all, but I fit and did not need to buy another seat.

I was on Jet Blue, Virgin America and United when I was that size....

Hope this helps! It's so embarrasing and terrifying to think you can't fit....
Margaret916 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I've bawled and bawled...
Old 06-01-2013, 10:23 AM

and finally approached DH... He says we can do a 15 hour drive and it will save us about $600 anyway. He was sweet about it but I am still mortified...

I was also worried about the flight because he was talking about flights with a layover/plane change and there is no way I could run across an airport at this point if there were problems with a close call....

I googled it and found no definitive answers... I am also a tight size 24/3X at about 5'10" tall so I have long legs to boot...

I hate myself right now...

Bastet_01

Hug
Old 06-01-2013, 10:38 AM

Lottalove,

I am not a frequent poster, but I just felt the need to give you a cyber "hug". Please do not hate yourself for what your body looks like. You are a beloved wife and mother. You have chosen a profession that proves your compassion and dedication. You have so much love (look at your name, Lottalove) in you and that totally trumps what a scale says.
Bastet_01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Agree
Old 06-01-2013, 10:49 AM

I agree with PP. Maybe the driving part of your trip will provide some welcome and unexpected new memories. My younger DS is a big guy and airplane trips are not a treat for him either.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Faith508

Road Trip!
Old 06-01-2013, 11:21 AM

I really enjoy road trips. There's so much to see along the way to a destination.
Sending hugs!
Faith508 is offline   Reply With Quote

funkster

If I could save $$
Old 06-01-2013, 11:40 AM

and have a sight seeing trip along the way, that is what I would do.

If you know the airline you are flying with, now or in the future, maybe you could contact them and get more information. I can only imagine the feeling to arrive at the airport and have a problem. I am sure that the airline would like to avoid that too. So, they may have information to help you.

BTW-you are not the only person uncomfortable on the airlines. As they try to make money seats are squashed together and don't tip back. I went to Asia two years ago. When I landed I could hardly walk! I am really tiny. I do not fit in the seats either. My feet don't hit the floor and having them "hang" for 24 hours just about crippled me. Our bodies are not our fault. We are who we are. Don't make up reasons to not love yourself the way you are!
funkster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tulips

airline seats
Old 06-01-2013, 11:57 AM

Lottalove,

We're about the same size. I fit with a bit of spilliage into the next seat, which is fine if it's a family member/friend.

Dee

Tulips is offline   Reply With Quote

onion girl

You should be okay
Old 06-01-2013, 12:09 PM

I am also a size 24 and about 100 pounds overweight. I am working on it. I fly several times a year and have not had a problem. I have asked for a seat belt extender a few times just to be more comfortable. They have no problem giving it to me. I always take the seat at the end-never a window or middle seat. If you are going with someone, they can take the middle and you will have no problem.
onion girl is online now   Reply With Quote

Alicia G

Old 06-01-2013, 12:21 PM

Hey, don't hate yourself. You might not like your weight right now, but it does NOT define you. Focus on the good -- you're valuable, unique, and talented.
Alicia G is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolyn

Old 06-01-2013, 12:27 PM

Make sure you sit in an aisle seat. That way you won't have somebody crowding you on one side. My husband is very tall and has to sit in an aisle seat. Another option would be for you to sit in a first class seat which has way more room. Might be cheaper than buying two seats.
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Thank you, All!
Old 06-01-2013, 12:34 PM

I am calmer now... I am a little better now.

I was just kicking myself for every bad choice I've made in my life...

Last January (2012) I started doing low carb and lost 42 lbs by April or so. Then we decided to resign our positions and move over 500 miles away from friends and family. It was fairly ambitious and spur of the moment so life got crazy and out of control for a long while. Even moved, the new house was much smaller and in the process of construction. It was chaotic for months. I slowly (okay, easily) regained all of the weight lost just as quickly.

I have always felt I had a pretty healthy self esteem in spite of my weight but I guess I was fooling myself...

I know I need to lose weight but I also know that huge dramatic plans made right now will set me up to fail... I guess I'll just vow to try to do better and take it day by day. Pardon my little freak out.

Margaret916

hugs!
Old 06-01-2013, 01:39 PM

hugs to you!
Margaret916 is offline   Reply With Quote

Peachyteacher

Just wanted to send a hug to you.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:57 PM

I understand what you are feeling because I am in the same boat. I am so glad you husband is loving and understanding. Good luck to you.
Peachyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 06-01-2013, 02:26 PM

I think it also would depend on where you carry your weight. I'm top heavy, so I can sit in pretty narrow seats. I'm 100 pounds overweight, but I'm fairly solidly built (wear an 18). My "mushy" weight is in my abdomen, above my waist and below my boobs. I can fit in regular seats no problem because I have narrow hips and thighs. I have a bottom heavy friend who weighs significantly less than I do, but she can't fit in the theater seats without raising the arm rest on one side.

Don't beat yourself up.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-01-2013, 02:27 PM

I was 4'11" and 230 pounds so well over 100 lbs overweight and I fit in the seats. It was a tight fit and embarrassing but I did it. Please don't let this ruin your trip or your self-esteem. Those seats aren't built for any "normal" person!

Enjoy your vacation and your wonderful family; however you choose to get there.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Smartmouth

Old 06-01-2013, 03:26 PM

I just want to tell you that we are many different sizes and shapes because that's the way biology works. There is no objective reason to feel badly about what size or shape you are. Our culture is very cruel to people who don't fit some ridiculous Barbie-like mold. Be proud of who you are. Please love yourself. Your child and your students need to see that we can love ourselves no matter what. You owe it to them, but most of all you owe it to yourself.
Sending hugs.
Smartmouth is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Awww!!
Old 06-01-2013, 03:44 PM

I'm feeling the love now. Cyber love from all of you and more reassurances and love from DH. DD has figured out that I am upset about something (but is not sure what yet) and has been very gentle with me as well.

anna

Old 06-01-2013, 06:44 PM

Proteacher has your problem solved

We are what we think(as Buddha once said) Go forward and enjoy the trip . Don't spend your time right now thinking about what could go wrong. You are going to have a grand time with your family.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote