Help

First Grade

Leveled Readers for First

>

GoldiTeaches

Leveled Readers for First
Old 06-02-2013, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering where you guys have purchased leveled readers? I'm moving from K to 1st and I really only have a collection of leveled readers going to level E. Aside from the ones that come with the reading series, I use ones I own for kids to put in their book boxes and sending home for homework, so I need to purchase some more at a 1st grade level (???) over the summer. Where have you guys purchased them and where have you found really good deals? I'm already looking at the Scholastic ones but I like to have readers from multiple sources for a variety. Thank you!

GoldiTeaches is offline   Reply With Quote

starlaharlow

readers
Old 06-02-2013, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I bought a subscription to reading a to z...it is a great website with leveled readers that might be helpful to you. I love it! I believe it is around 80 dollars for a year.
starlaharlow is offline   Reply With Quote

csano

Leveled Readers
Old 06-02-2013, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you're looking to purchase books--take a look at the catalogs or websites for Booksource & Steps to Literacy. Booksource is a bit less expensive.
csano is offline   Reply With Quote

123rabbit

Reading A to Z
Old 06-02-2013, 08:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I also use Reading A to Z. Our school purchases it for us. It only costs about $80 for tons of non fiction and fiction texts from levels aa to z. Each book has a selection test, discussion cards, lesson plans and skill sheets. There are also 2 benchmark selections with running record forms per level to use when students are ready to move on.
This way you can run off enough copies for your guided reading groups. The kids can also highlight and circle answers in their books and keep the copies to build their own libraries at home.

The best part is you don't have to store all those books. I used Reading A to Z for 1st, 3rd and 5th graders.
123rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

SwimmerGirl

Old 06-02-2013, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Wilbooks has some great deals where you can get 100 books for $99. I really like that there is an emphasis on nonfiction, since that's where the CCSS are taking us!

Also love the "Danny" books at Mary Ruth Books.

Also love the Pioneer Valley books.

And I do Reading a to z, too... I'm pretty careful about the books I select there. I don't love them all, but there are TONS to choose from.

Lastly... we use Fountas and Pinnell. They have some fabulous intervention kits that we bought, and the kits have "Take Home" books in them. They are basically "disposable" books, but the quality is excellent. Our school bought and extra kit and we divided up the books to add to classroom collections.

SwimmerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Books
Old 06-02-2013, 09:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Book source is good, but keep in mind they sometimes level them lower than they are. I tend to buy one level lower than they say unless I know the books. A To Z is good, BUT, they are paper copies and sometimes the kids prefer real books.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

GoldiTeaches

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2013, 09:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I totally forgot about Wilbooks. I bought Kindergarten level books from there a few years ago but had completely forgotten about them!
GoldiTeaches is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

more leveled book publishers
Old 06-02-2013, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I like Sundance and Newbridge Publishers(sister companies). They have leveled fiction and non fiction and have black and white versions for take home books.

National Geographic School Publishers has amazing leveled non-fiction and on line supports.

Some of the stalwarts like Wright Group have been bought by conglomerates and I'm not sure how good they are any longer.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Old 06-02-2013, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We use just about anything we can get our hands on, but we've had Rigby and Wright Group as our main curriculum for years. I've also used
Readinga-z, but it costs a lot of time and money. We have a book room in our school where we check out books from whatever level we need.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Melissa/1st/TN

Don't forget Scholastic
Old 06-03-2013, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I don't have a lot of parent orders, but even spending my own money during the highest bonus points payout will allow you to get lots of books for your classroom (and lots of free books too). I built my listening book library this way!

Melissa/1st/TN is offline   Reply With Quote

funkster

Old 06-04-2013, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We have many different published readers. Our district recently purchased the guided reading books from Celebration Press, but when I bring out the old books from a collection Sunsprouts from ETA my kids get so excited. They often don't want to give them back after taking them home.
funkster is offline   Reply With Quote