Help

First Grade

Personal spelling dictionaries

>

URMySunshine

Personal spelling dictionaries
Old 05-30-2013, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm thinking of having these next year for my kids to enter our high frequency words into but not sure if it would be a good idea. I do have a word wall, but thought this may help them, too, since it would be at their desks. Anyone tried these before? Did you buy them (like from Starfall, for example) or did you make your own? Good idea or bad idea?

URMySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

This is what I use
Old 05-30-2013, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

http://cdnll.reallygoodstuff.com/images/m/303531.jpgYou can get it at Really Good Stuff
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

heatherk

First Year
Old 05-30-2013, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I used personal dictionaries for the first time this year. I work with SPED kids in grades 1-2 and even though we had a word wall, it was too one size fits all as my kids were very spread out in terms of academics. I printed pages with the letter at the top, a place for a key word and picture and then like 30 lines for words. I hole-punched them and put them in folders with prongs. They lasted all year and all it cost me was folders.
I introduced the folders the second week of school. We decorated the covers, then illustrated the top boxes. So for A, they had to pick an "A" word, like ant, write it at the top and draw a picture. As I introduced new words (either whole group or small group), we would take a few minutes to add it to their dictionaries. We used them when kids edited their writing with me and we would add any words they had misspelled, so each kids is different. We put words in there that certain kids used a lot, like one of my girls has "dragon" and "princess" in hers since those came up a lot in her writing. It really helped give them a spelling resource that was not me and I will for sure be doing these next year.
heatherk is offline   Reply With Quote

URMySunshine

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2013, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Great ideas! I think I am going with the ones from Really Good Stuff since our copies are limited. Thanks for the quick replies everyone!
URMySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

Racetchr

Great Idea
Old 06-03-2013, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have been using personal dictionaries for HFW for the past 4 years. I order them from Starfall and they are pretty reasonable. My students love them.

Racetchr is offline   Reply With Quote