Help

First Grade

Go Math

>

Racetchr

Go Math
Old 06-16-2013, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My school is changing to Go Math next year. I am excited for a new math series but also nervous. Does anyone else use Go Math? What is your favorite thing about it and your least favorite? Do you have any ideas or lessons that go well with this Math Curriculum. Any help or information would be helpful.

Racetchr is offline   Reply With Quote

teach4k

Old 06-16-2013, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We use Go Math at our school. They have updated their website recently and have curriculum aligned to the Common Core. I love the manipulatives that we got with our sets. The grab and go centers are good too.

I thought that the workbook was very good except that in 1st grade we needed to start with counting and recognizing numbers to 120 and that section is not at the beginning of the book.

I love the website....fun games for the kids and even video for kids and teachers.

If you have any specific questions about it just let me know and I will try and answer them.
teach4k is offline   Reply With Quote

GoldiTeaches

Go Math
Old 06-16-2013, 12:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We also use Go Math. We adopted it two years ago and had the regular version then got the Common Core updated version last year. I'm moving from K to first so this year will be my first time using it for first grade but I agree that there should be a short review chapter at the beginning to review numbers but instead it goes right into addition. I know that my kinders left last year knowing their numbers but a solid review would probably do wonders. I will be doing a lot of work with my hundred chart during morning meetings those first few weeks of school to help this.

My two favorite things about GM are that, one: each unit is its own skinny, paperback TE so you don't have to lug around a giant TE (take a hint reading curriculum!) and number two: the online features are really wonderful. I have full, user friendly access online to all the TEs, the student edition, all of the various workbooks, online manipulatives, and unit starting videos. If I want to plan from home I usually just use that and don't even take home my TE.

Also, there are two things for students to do in the online stuff. There are Curious George themed online lessons that are great for previewing or reviewing during math centers (they go through an online lesson with guided practice, independent practice, and a little quiz). There are also more game-like activities for the kids to do in Mega Math.

No math series is perfect, but I like Go Math. I think its aligned well to Common Core now and its MUCH better than our previous math series.
GoldiTeaches is offline   Reply With Quote

Racetchr

Thank you
Old 06-16-2013, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you so much for your replies. I am looking forward to using Go Math and appreciate your insight. If I have any more questions I will get in touch. Thanks again.
Racetchr is offline   Reply With Quote

Lacey&Zoe

Overwheling!
Old 06-19-2013, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This past year was our first year with the Go Math series. It started out ok,but became overwhelming for students,parents, and teachers. Students did not have any prior knowledge to many of the strategies that were introduced (since they had a different math program in K). Parents were confused on how to use the strategies because "that's not how they learned to do math". So, parents were working the questions "their way" even though we sent home examples to show them "how" to use the strategies. Teachers,well we were trying to figure it all out and see where the program was heading. I am hoping this year will be better on everyone involved. Just keep in mind,change takes time! Best of luck!

Lacey&Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote