Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Craigslist-- experiences?

>

GraceKrispy

Craigslist-- experiences?
Old 07-06-2013, 07:37 PM

Just curious- how have your experiences been listing items on Craigslist and buying from Craigslist? I know they've even made Lifetime movies out of crimes Craigslist can (has?) been used to commit. I know about that scheme where someone pays you a ton from overseas and you just have to return some money to them, etc etc.

What kind of luck have people had on Craigslist? And has anyone had luck securing a rental from there? Any tips for using Craigslist besides the obvious ones (not giving money for things not yet seen, not giving too much info/personal data, etc)?

GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-06-2013, 07:49 PM

I spent last summer furnishing a house from craigslist. I didn't have any issues, but do try to be careful and listen to my inner self when talking to people and arranging pickups. I even picked up a few of the free things offered (felt a little weirder than the buying situations, but worked out just fine).

I did always let someone know where I was if I went by myself to do anything. When I was alone, I always had my phone out with a number input and my finger on the call button when I first went, until I felt comfortable in the situation.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Kaimana

Old 07-06-2013, 08:03 PM

I'm in the same area as you and have used it to buy several things- my dining room table and chairs, my son's ikea loft bed, a sofa and loveseat set, our wii, and two free guinea pigs with their cages. All easy and good experiences. I found a job I had before teaching there too. The only time hawaii craigslist has weirded me out is when I was curious and read the personal ads- some of those were scary
My only advice here is jump on it fast if you want it, especially something that can't be bought on this island (just like you do when costco stocks something lol). I tried to get bunkbeds the same afternoon they were posted and GONE!
Kaimana is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-06-2013, 08:25 PM

I've had good experiences. I usually try to meet people in a public place (the school parking lot has worked well!) and only take cash.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

Craigslist
Old 07-06-2013, 08:35 PM

My husband and I both sold our cars through Craigslist because we weren't having any luck with selling them on the street. Both of our experiences were good ones. We met the people together and it was daylight so we felt safe. We also did the transaction in cash.

On the other hand, I have heard horror stories about Craigslist experiences. I think just using common sense is the best way to go.

eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

suzyteach

good experiences
Old 07-06-2013, 09:29 PM

I've only bought 1 thing from Craigslist, but DH buys and sells fairly frequently.

We've given away lawn mowers, sold bunk beds, bicycles, air hockey table, computers and many other things. Bought several used iPhones, etc. DH is careful when he meets someone, either in a public place, or he texts me the address of where he is going right before he goes in, and texts me again when he gets back to his car.

DH did get an iPhone for our daughter this Christmas, which we ultimately found out had had some water damage. He paid to have it fixed, and then sold it on Craigslist (with disclosure) - he lost a little money, but not much.
suzyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

AndSoItIs

Good and bad
Old 07-06-2013, 09:35 PM

I've found legitimate jobs on CL. It's a great place to look for opportunities. However, I put out an ad for tutoring and got a scam email, which I guess is common. Just be careful. If something seems fishy it's prob not legit.
AndSoItIs is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 07-06-2013, 09:40 PM

We just bought a car on Craigslist. So far so good. I also sold my baby stuff on Craigslist (jogging stroller, highchair, ect...), DH's old car, and DH's old lawn mower. I do make DH make the deals and be present (he looks scary), and we meet in a public area.
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

rlyndecker

Same
Old 07-06-2013, 10:37 PM

good and bad...Overall, the bad was when I listed my condo for rent. Mostly, that was just because I received a lot of junk emails from people...I was a legit owner & the 1st time I rented it I had bad luck but the second I received out of state and was shocked, they took it site unseen, sent me the deposit and 1st months rent.

The good was when I sold my computer. But that really was just EXTREMELY lucky. The guy happened to see my post within 5 minutes of me posting it, came by when my friend was here plugged it in to make sure it worked and paid me my asking price (I priced it high to give myself negotiating room) in full, no questions asked!

I've tried selling printers for dirt cheap and had NO luck...

I agree that you should really be careful. Check out the address first and do some comparing etc. You might want to make sure it's not in per-forclosure/foreclosure (I think you can just go to a title company to find out).
rlyndecker is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercury

Good
Old 07-07-2013, 02:51 AM

All my experiences with Craigslist have been good. I've bought a computer, textbooks, bookcases, a futon. You can tell the scammy ones for the most part.

Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote

Gr8Profession

My experiences have been good.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:59 AM

We sold a car and have purchased a number of pieces of furniture. I went to pick up some bedside tables by myself once and that felt a little odd. It was really okay but I should have had someone with me.
Gr8Profession is offline   Reply With Quote

School_Marm

Craig's List
Old 07-07-2013, 06:11 AM

I haven't done anything on Craigslist but one of my sisters and a coworker have had good luck with it. They have sold items and also purchased items.

I might look into it to sell DH's motorcycle
School_Marm is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Good experience
Old 07-07-2013, 06:37 AM

A few years ago I purchased a book rack from a seller in a nearby town. I went to her house to pick it up in an upscale community. The price was very reasonable and the rack is sturdy and was in excellent condition.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Margaret916

I use it a lot
Old 07-07-2013, 06:46 AM

I live in the metro DC area so there is a lot of stuff available. With all our military and government contractors here in the area, lots of people are moving in and out a lot (and need to sell things that they dont want to move!)

I have sold things and bought things. My two best buying deals are a dining room set (buffet, table and chairs) in perfect condition and a living room set (loveseat, oversized chair and upholstered large ottoman). Both were like new and were people who were given a new job assignment and moving out of the area.

I have sold a ton of stuff on craigslist too - everything from freebies to a computer that I didnt need any more.

Tips to share:
  • If you are meeting someone at their house NEVER go alone. This is usually the case when it comes to furniture so you need someone to carry it with you too.
  • When you are selling something, meet in a public space (like a busy restaurant parking lot)
  • Take cash, but in smaller denominations (for example, if it's $40, take it all in 5 dollar bills not two 20s) and offer a lower price. Many people will negotiate, and if they don't, then you pay the whole price. I used to feel bad for asking but the worst they can say is no, I need the full amount.
  • Make sure they know you are coming and when... if someone says it is out front and "first come first serve" I usually won't go. It's not worth my time to drive there and find it is gone.
  • Moving? getting or giving free moving boxes is a great way to "freecycle" the boxes. People will list their boxes after they have unpacked, use them and then relist. SO much cheaper than buying new.
Margaret916 is offline   Reply With Quote

I ♥ cats

Old 07-07-2013, 07:25 AM

I think CL gets a bad rap. If you stay out of the questionable sections (personals etc) and use common sense then it's perfectly fine. I've bought and sold all sorts of things on there, including a car, and also found two good rental situations. Here are my tips -

Don't put your phone number in an ad. Give it once you feel comfortable.

Always use the feature that makes your email anonymous when posting an ad.

Watch out for scams - in my experience they're normally pretty easy to spot...responses sent in the middle of the night, one line responses, things that just don't make sense...

Always meet in public places or if an item is too big to do that, take someone with you.
I ♥ cats is offline   Reply With Quote

OnlyBlueSkies

Old 07-07-2013, 08:32 AM

I've always had a great experience on Craigslist. I've rented a house in college, a condo with my husband, sold and bought a bunch of furniture, and just listed free moving boxes last night actually. As long as you're smart about it and ignore blatant scams, you can get some great deals.
OnlyBlueSkies is offline   Reply With Quote

WIBadgerFan

Rental
Old 07-07-2013, 10:08 AM

I found the house I am currently renting on Craigslist. The house is old and not everything I want, but they allow me to have my dogs. The landlord is nice, and for the most part the things that need fixing get fixed.

I have bought things with no problems (usually football tickets), and posted things for my grandma to sell. I would say that the only problem with selling things is that people try to talk you down a lot in price at times.

One thing I do is that if I have to go to someone's house to get something I bought I make sure I take someone with me. I try to meet in a public place when possible.
WIBadgerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Craigs List
Old 07-07-2013, 10:40 AM

We've bought and sold things on there and haven't had a problem so far.

We just meet at a local store - and exchange items in the parking lot. That way they don't know our address. We sold some cell phones and they sold within hours/days. We put a picture, so I think that helped.

We recently bought a car from there, and so far it's been fine. We did a Car Fax to make sure nothing wasn't disclosed. This is the 2nd time we've bought a car from there, and the first time was fine - we still have it 3 years later.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-07-2013, 11:29 AM

Thanks for all the great feedback! We're planning to possibly sell some stuff via CL, and I'm trying to find a rental there as well. We have looked at rentals from CL in the past, but didn't end up renting them. I think that's pretty much *all* I've used CL for.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote