Third Grade

classroom management-getting it right

>

Mrs G

classroom management-getting it right
Old 08-06-2014, 11:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi!
I am so worried about my new class coming in! I know it's just jitters but I am! Over my past few years in the classroom I struggle with getting my behavior expectations to be consistent. I changed grades last year and noticed it much more with the older kids. At the end of the year there are often a couple of kids who never seem to "get it" as far as following the rules- talking out, directions, etc. It sets such a poor example for the other students & I'm exhausted by June. Can't seem to shake that feeling this summer. Now with my new class coming in, I just want to get it right once in for all.

What is your #1, long lasting classroom management technique?

Mrs G is offline   Reply With Quote

vttraveler

Old 08-06-2014, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Work with the students to establish a list of rules and have them sign them and send a copy home. Establish consistent quiet/attention getting signals and wait until all are ready. Give one warning then a consequence. Don't overlook things or not follow through, as then you won't be taken seriously. I also often pull students aside to have quiet conversations, as some get worse when their actions are called attention to in a public manner. I also randomly and rarely pass out stickers to the class when everyone is attending, so they know that I've noticed. I love third graders. It's also been important to show them my funny side. They know that the better they behave, the sillier I feel I can be and the more fun we can have together as we get our work done. They also appreciate you giving them ownership and responsibility.
Good luck!
vttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

ar719

Check out
Old 08-06-2014, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

www.smartclassroommanagement.com

I have read some very good ideas on this site!
ar719 is online now   Reply With Quote

kcougar

I agree...
Old 08-06-2014, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm with ar719.

Go to Michael Linsin's website and check out the archived articles about the beginning of the year.

His website has so many great ideas. I have so much fun modeling expectations and routines at the beginning of the year.
kcougar is offline   Reply With Quote

m&m's

Whole Brain Teaching
Old 08-07-2014, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use strategies from www.wholebrainteaching.com. There are videos and free ebooks to help you get started. When I first started, it felt like a lot to learn. So just pick one or two ideas to start with. Good luck with this year.

m&m's is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Management
Old 08-07-2014, 07:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Teaching with Love and Logic. Puts behavior responsibility back on the kid and teaches you how to discipline without getting all emotional.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

beagles2

Old 08-07-2014, 09:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I think classroom management is a very personal thing. What works for one person won't work for or feel comfortable for another. What sounds like a busy, working class to one teacher might sound too loud and out of control for another. So my best advice is to find what you're comfortable with - look at lots of different ideas and see how they feel for you. There have been some great suggestions made, but maybe none of those do it for you. It takes a while to find your groove.

For me, it's not getting too upset about the small stuff. Some teachers at my school try so hard to control everything and everyone, that if a student steps a toe out of line they immediately get a consequence. One teacher has written up the same student multiple times in one day!

That's just not where I"m at. I don't get too excited about small misbehavior - like whispering to their neighbor when I'm talking. I just look at them and shake my head "no' and they get it. I don't ramp up consequences unless a behavior is really disruptive. And during the day I use a combination of systems - not all of one thing. I do some Whole brain teaching, some Love and logic, etc - but I never use all of one method. I also use the tried and true 'stare at kids until they feel uncomfortable . . . then stare just a little bit more' method, which is by far my favorite. ;-0

Good luck to you!
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

sailorsue

Class Dojo
Old 08-07-2014, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I love this program - everything is customizable as far as both positive and negative comments....parents can get an email showing all the great things their child did in school - listened during lessons, raised hand to participate, worked quietly, contributed during team time......WHATEVER you want to stress. You can add comments at any time - I start small and build the comment bank as modeled behaviors are understood.

You might want to ask around - I am a school mentor for my building and your building might have one too.

A great new feature this year is shared classes so my kids can earn points in art, gym, music etc. A little accountability when out go my sight is nice too.
sailorsue is offline   Reply With Quote

thirdg8

Management
Old 08-09-2014, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have them work toward a class room party. If the whole class does well, they get a pompom in the jar. If they earn 20 pompoms they get a party. I also do a fun Friday. If they did not get into trouble and turn in their homework they get to have 15 minutes of fun on Friday. If not they have to sit at their desk and work. Our whole school does magic tickets. If the student did something well, they can earn a magic ticket. They write their name on the back and then put it in a basket. At the end of the week, we draw names from each grade level to earn a prize. For my small groups, they earn points. At the end of the week, the group with the most points gets a piece of candy from my candy box.
What works for me is I have a 4 color system in my room for behavior. All students are on green at the beginning of the day. If they get into trouble they move to yellow. On yellow they owe me recess. Our P.E. teacher makes them do exercise outside for recess. The next color is orange. If they get moved to orange a phone call home, note, or conference will be taking place with parents. The last color is the office. That color is the last resort. I have never had to pull a student down to red yet. I sometimes go to orange, but most of the time, the yellow stops them quick when they realize I mean business. I send a note home at the end of the week with what color they landed on and the parent signs it and returns it on Monday.
Hope this helps!
thirdg8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Br3

Consistency
Old 08-16-2014, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Honestly, I have seen so many great behavior plans; however, consistency is the best piece of advice I ever received. I have had to use a variety of plans, rewards, and consequences depending on the group but they were only ever effective as long as the expectations were clear and my actions, both positive and negative, were consistent.

Mrs. Br3 is offline   Reply With Quote