Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Reversals

>

Lilacs

Reversals
Old 11-10-2014, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This year my daughter is in first grade and I am teaching her class. I have taught first and second for years, but she seems to be having extreme difficulty with reversals in many forms (b/d, 31=13, letters and numbers like s, 5, 2, E are backwards, 6 and 9 are upside down). It is not affecting her reading ability or her concept knowledge of math, but I am getting concerned. Any ideas...we are a private school so we don't have any OT staff to brainstorm with. Should I be thinking about referring her through the public school system? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Lilacs is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 11-10-2014, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Reversals are very common up until grade 2. I wouldn't worry too much about it but would point it out and have her correct.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 11-10-2014, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have been using the A series from dyslexiagames.com with my 1st graders. I got a classroom license. (I told them I was at a private school with small classes.) After the first 5 children, all others are $10 each. We've added it to the 1st grader's book fees.

After 2 months, I am seeing very few reversals. They now only happen when the children are tired. They're doing one page/day and we'll use it for most of the year. I think you'd be pleased with it.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 11-11-2014, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Reversals are within developmental range at this age...but for sure it's something to watch, correct, and support. My DD reverses letters and words still, not often but when she's tired. I'm more familiar with the letter reversals. With the math reversals, if she writes 13 as 31, how does she read it a few minutes later? Will she read the "31" as 31 or does she still perceive it as 13?
cruxian is online now   Reply With Quote

damarnfl

Number reversals
Old 11-11-2014, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use these from dilly dabble. These are the posters for it but there is a link to the student cards that I put on their desks.

http://www.dilly-dabbles.com/2012/04...n-posters.html

As for the place value reversal, it's a concept thing. Does she truly understand the meaning of the "1"? I mean that it represents 10 not 1. I see it a lot in Grade 2 especially in the teen numbers (hardest to understand). Build the numbers over and over again with manipulatives to show the group of ten. Sooner or later, she should understand the concept.

Last edited by damarnfl; 11-11-2014 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: Added more
damarnfl is offline   Reply With Quote

damarnfl

bdpq reversals
Old 11-11-2014, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I use this for b & d reversals (I use the terminology too). I teach Grade 2 and most are forming letters correctly by the end of the year.

Hope these help.

Attached Files
File Type: doc bdpqreversalspictures.doc (139.0 KB, 91 views)
damarnfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilacs

Old 11-11-2014, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

damarnfl She will often read 51 as 21 or 13 as 31 whether she has written it or not. I know that reversals are developmental and usually go away by the end of 2nd, but it is not common to see so many reversals with such consistency. She is an older first grader, very mature, extremely verbal, and a average/high average IQ (with in normal range). She seems to have other OT related issues such as pencil grasp and letter formation. I am not sure how much of this problem is due to kinder teachers that did not supervise handwriting instruction/practice. It was done completely independent during reading groups. I have used the mnuemonic strategies (bed, bat/ball, etc.). I know that place value is under taught in our curriculum, but she does seem to know the value of the numbers themselves (greater than/less than, one to one correspondence, sequencing sets of number from greatest to least, before and after numbers). I will work on that more. Thanks for the posters. I did point out that all of the numbers except 5 and 6 look forward in line. I found it on pinterest somewhere. I am going to try some of these strategies and give it a little more time. Thank you to all for you input. It is greatly appreciated.
Lilacs is offline   Reply With Quote

ArtsyFartsyII

Old 11-11-2014, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My daughter is in 2nd grade and still reverses 5s and 6s. Last year in 1st grade, she reversed lots of letters and numbers, along with reversals like 13 and 31. I think it's only REALLY recently that she is consistently getting her shoes on the right feet, because she was still doing that at the beginning of 2nd grade too. I've been concerned but was told the same thing about it being common through 2nd grade. My son had reversals too but outgrew it by the end of kindergarten.
ArtsyFartsyII is offline   Reply With Quote
AMK228

AMK228

app
Old 11-12-2014, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

There is an iPad app that our OT highly recommended called Letter Reflex. I believe it costs $3.99. Hope this helps!

Vet3Teacher

Old 11-13-2014, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I used to think it wasn't a problem until MAP testing and district testing. They need to work super hard on getting these straight. My principal once said that if you put these reversals 3 feet from each other, the kids will start to do better.

Vet3Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote