Help

Third Grade

Question about geometry

>

Mrs. Br3

Question about geometry
Old 11-30-2014, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We will be starting geometry after Christmas, and I am trying to get some planning done. If I am reading the standards correctly, students in third grade need to know the attributes of polygons that are quadrilaterals, but they don't have to know other polygons such as hexagon, octagon, triangle etc. This seems strange to me.

I will still cover these shapes, because I think they are important to know, but I'm not going to go as in depth as I will on the attributes of quadrilaterals unless I have to.

So my question is, which polygons are they expected to know in order to perform well on the SBAC this spring?

TIA!!

Mrs. Br3 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 11-30-2014, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's how we did it last year. I started with "A Very Greedy Triangle" and went from there. Good luck. Geometry is my LEAST favorite unit to cover.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Mad4Math

Is this Common Core?
Old 11-30-2014, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In Texas we cover all the polygons you mentioned, plus the attributes of all quadrilaterals. It seems strange not to do them all... I agree, start with The Greedy Triangle, an excellent engagement piece.
Mad4Math is offline   Reply With Quote

gradymidget

Old 11-30-2014, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

never heard of A Very Greedy Triangle. Can you explain? Thanks!
gradymidget is online now   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Br3

Mad4Math...
Old 11-30-2014, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes, this is common core.

Mrs. Br3 is offline   Reply With Quote

TizzieLizzie

A Greedy Triangle
Old 11-30-2014, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You can google A Greedy Triangle or go to YouTube and search for it. It's a great book!
TizzieLizzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Mad4Math

by Marilyn Burns
Old 12-02-2014, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It is a great book for introducing polygons, especially when paired with manipulatives. I pass out a bag of craft sticks, usually 10, to my students. As we read the book, we use the sticks to form each polygon. The book starts with a triangle that is not "satisfied" with its three sides, and wants more, hence the name The Greedy Triangle. It goes all the way to an octagon if I'm not mistaken. Students can see how adding the extra sides makes extra vertices, and the polygon grows larger. It is also an A.R. or Accelerated Reader book, so students can test and earn points. (If you are self-contained or if your ELAR teachers accept A.R.) Afterwards, you can journal, and pay special attention to all the four sided polygons that are possible. I like the way it shows so many real world applications of each shape in such a clever, read aloud format. Marilyn Burns also has a great website with lots of great ideas. It is www.mathsolutions.com.

Good luck to you.
Mad4Math is offline   Reply With Quote

damarnfl

Love Geometry
Old 12-07-2014, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I always start my Geometry unit with The Greedy Triangle. I give each student a geoboard and they make the shapes as they are changed in the story. It shows them that a regular polygon (the one we see all the time in bulletin boards etc) are not the only way to show one of these shapes. A quadrilateral is ANY four sided closed figure. They love seeing all the different ways to show a shape.

As for the different types of quadrilaterals, I used to use a Frayer Model graphic organizer for each type and have the students do a carousel rotation to fill it in. Blow up the Frayer model so it's on big paper. We go over what the differences are daily.

A good pre-assessment is to ask the students if a square is a rectangle? (it is by definition of a rectangle but a special one) and vice-versa (a rectangle can't be a square).

Not sure if that's what you wanted as I don't know the SBAC test.
damarnfl is offline   Reply With Quote