Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Reading Lab 2

>

cindylouhoo

Reading Lab 2
Old 07-06-2015, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I asked this once but got no replies so since I'm desperate I'm asking again. I have 7th and 8th grade RTI students who are reading on 1st to 5th grade level. I have a classroom with 20 computers and I'm interested in setting it up as a reading lab. Does anyone have suggestions on how to do this?

cindylouhoo is offline   Reply With Quote

beachygrl

System 44 & READ 180
Old 07-06-2015, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

These are both excellent computer-based reading intervention programs, but they are pricey, so your admins would have to want them. That said, there are other, less expensive choices. NewsELA has good stuff. If you have Google Classroom, you can upload lots of things and give students access.
beachygrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Old 07-06-2015, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My school has Lexia Core 5. They also have Reading Strategies for Older Students through the same program. It's also kind of pricey but I feel it covers good things. Stay far away from Reading Plus the program is pricey and mind numbing. I had Junior High students on it last year and they hated it. Computer interventions are a good start and better than nothing but these students really need some strong one-on-one or three-on-one interventions. Also, how is a child reading at 1st grade level in 7th grade considered only RTI? Even a 7th grader at 5th grade level should be looked into for an IEP. I hope these students are also receiving IEP minutes. Those are some significant gaps.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

cindylouhoo

Thank you
Old 07-07-2015, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you I have Lexia which I use, we also have Ticket To Read and Successful Reader. I was wondering what kind of rotation would you use with these programs.

beachygrl

rotations
Old 07-07-2015, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

How long will these students be in your class? That will influence how the rotations would run. My students were successful when we had whole group, computer, independent reading, and skill rotations. Your rotations probably shouldn't be longer than 12 minutes. Because all of these students have had years of school failure (your 8th graders could have been in school for 9 years if they attended kindergarten and repeated a grade) they need short activities that they can complete correctly and quickly. One short paragraph with two questions to answer is far better than a page-long text with five questions, but be sure to check their work as they go and have the next activity lined up in case they get it right away.

beachygrl is offline   Reply With Quote

cindylouhoo

time
Old 07-07-2015, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have them for 50 minutes, it's hard to get them to read independently.

GabbyBobcat

ReadTheory
Old 07-25-2015, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Look into the website called ReadTheory www.readtheory.org Students can be self-paced through a set of reading skills at their level. While students are working, you can rotate them in a small group with you to work on specific skills that would support them in their gen ed classes. I agree with the NewsELA suggestion, and those are short enough lexiled texts that you could use them in your small group teaching. The majority of texts have a quick check with 4 comprehension questions.
GabbyBobcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Old 07-25-2015, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Rotations need to be determined based on the students themselves. Some students may still need heavy phonics instruction to fill in skills they are missing. Others may need comprehension support, etc. Look at the computer interventions and check how much time is recommended. I know that with Lexia it gives you a goal for each student based on where they are at. I am fairly certain that your students would need at least 80-120 minutes on Lexia based on Lexia's usage standards. If students get only a short time with each intervention it's going to be impossible for any of the interventions to actually work. I'd pick 2 or 3 interventions to try that either all focus on the main skill the students need or that focus on the top 2-3 skills they need. What do their assessments say? What is being used to determine what grade level they are at in reading? Do these students have IEPs? 50 minutes is a decent chunk of time but how many students do you have? Even with computers an effective group needs to be small. It's hard to monitor behaviors of students on PCs while also working with students independently. These students are going to need lots of teacher time if they are ever going to start closing the gaps they have. Anything independent is going to be far less effective then what you can teach them in a small 1-1 to 1-3 group. For tier 3 students (which these students should all be) group sizes shouldn't be more than 3 students. I think you could potentially have more students in your room than 3 if they are well trained but I found with my Title I groups that having 10 students in my room none of my students really got what they needed. I have ten PCs but you have to stop and answer questions, provide tech support, answer bathroom requests, etc. even when students are on PCs. This cuts into the time you can spend really focused on working with a student or group of students not on the computer.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

cindylouhoo

Thanks
Old 08-06-2015, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks for the suggestions, I guess I may use Lexia because it gives you lessons to use on the skills they are lacking.