Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

Engage NY

>

m&m's

Engage NY
Old 10-20-2015, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is anyone in Illinois using EngageNY Math? My district began using it this year and would like to hear others' opinions on it. If a district is having success with it, we might think about a site visit. Please let me know.

m&m's is offline   Reply With Quote

mlady4

On our 2nd Year
Old 10-21-2015, 02:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Not a fan. The program is not kid friendly. 3rd grade does very little with addition and subtraction, so the kids don't maintain those skills. We have 7 modules to get through and they don't match the calendar for state exams closely enough. Everything is available on the website. However, you need individual white boards and you have to scrounge up other materials.
mlady4 is offline   Reply With Quote

BRONX

Modules
Old 10-21-2015, 02:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am a Ny teacher that has being using the ELA and Math Modules for 3 years. I do not like them. Not developmentally appropriate, too much for kids and they miss out on reading books of their choice. In math kids are asked to show their answers multiple ways. Funny thing is on our NYS test the kids are just asked to show their work. Meanwhile we are using tape diagrams, vertical number lines and place value charts to show our answers.

Also, Ny is now, finally saying we may have to pull back on Common Core because it is a hot mess here. Over 200,000 kids opted out of the test on Long Island NY alone. I hope to get back to reading workshop and more meaningful math soon.
BRONX is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 10-24-2015, 03:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We started with Eureka Math this year (the paid version of Engage NY) and it is DRY, not kid OR teacher friendly, and very confusing in lots of parts. This week we had to start the poetry/close reading module of Expeditionary Learning (reading...Engage NY) and again, the manual is HUGE, tons to read for prep for each lesson, and as PP said, they are barely reading anything. It uses Love That Dog, which is a cute poem/novel, but they read like 5 pages a day (and there are very few words on a page) so far. And of course, these programs got "sprung" on us at the end of the summer with no training
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

calumetteach

I think it's on the right track
Old 10-24-2015, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

but there is too much and teachers need training and time to implement it. I feel my kids had a much deeper understanding of concepts and were not just going through the route algorithms. I do skip many components and lessons if I feel they aren't necessary or too confusing.

Kids who are struggling I give a simpler version, but I'm fortunate in that I have support with them.

With the basic facts I do ten minute lessons and go slow and rely on parents to support me at home. Many kids don't have parents who support them and we do a lot of flashcard practice and games in my class. I also try incentives like math practice beads and rings. But, as in a regular program, the kids who have support at home do well and those that don't struggle.The modules have them do a lot of 'Sprints" and I sometimes have them do it for morning work or send 1/2 a page home for homework. I figure I'm the one in the classroom and I know what they can handle and understand.

I teach second and my kids can add and subtract 2 and 3 digit numbers on a numberline. They truly understand place value. In second grade the emphasis is place value. I spend a good hour on math, but is it broken up into smaller chunks...games, flashcard practice, the lesson, review.

We go from desk, to rug, to desk, to individual practice or a game I've taught. I do NOT make and use all the components or I will use them via ELMO. I don't have the time to make and cut all of those things. We use individual whiteboards, the class whiteboard, paper practice, flashcard practice, online resources, etc. It would be too much to do as they have outlined in the manual...I think.

It is a lot of information for kids and it is a lot for teachers to wrap their brains around. It's helpful if all grade levels use it and this year I had first grade come in with a better foundation of methods and vocabulary. Last year I used it for the first time and I struggled through it, but I could see the merits of it. That's it! Sorry this is so lengthy.

Last edited by calumetteach; 10-24-2015 at 08:58 AM..
calumetteach is offline   Reply With Quote

BRONX

Training
Old 10-26-2015, 03:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We get monthly training and have been using the modules for what is now our 3rd year. We cry, the kids cry and the parents email us. It is developmentally not appropriate in many ways. Once you pick and choose what you want to leave out you realize you need to change the assessments. It is a big mess.

I taught 5th for 2 years with the modules and 4th this year. In 4th we can still fit in guided reading so I am smiling a bit more.

m&m's

Thank you!!
Old 10-27-2015, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I appreciate all of your honest opinions. I thought if it was going well in your district, we could see how to fix some things. I mistyped. We began using Math last year and began ELA this year. Math was difficult last year, but we are figuring out ways to fit it to our needs. Time is the biggest issue as Math takes 1 1/2-2 hours a lesson. We are seeing students have a deeper understanding of place value and number sense.

ELA has been the biggest concern as it is the new curriculum for this year. Your concerns are what our concerns have been...too long, not enough reading, etc. Is there a grammar component past 2nd grade? I can see a sample lesson in 3rd grade on adjectives but nothing else. Our last curriculum had all ELA components and this one is lacking. Again, thank you for the responses!

m&m's

An idea for white boards...
Old 10-27-2015, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have the students use dry erase markers on their desks. It wipes off easily with a small towel or sock, gives them a bigger work space than paper or white boards, and they have a lot of fun with it.

I've wondered if we can teach the modules out of order. What is your thought on this?

BRONX

Yes!!
Old 10-28-2015, 02:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

You can teach the modules out of order. The problem with math is that you just have to be aware if they throw measurement in with multiplication and you skipped measurement. In ELA same thing, you may have to scaffold some of the mid and end assessments just because they may have missed a specific writing skill.

We have even changed the order of the units within a module.

m&m's

Thank you
Old 10-29-2015, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thank you so much! Illinois's scope and sequence is different, so this is very helpful.

javamomma

Engage
Old 11-18-2015, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I teach 2nd and hate it!!!!!!!
Some of the terms are good but otherwise miserable.
javamomma is online now   Reply With Quote
Hate teaching

Hate teaching

Our school
Old 11-18-2015, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

The kids hate the modules and sometimes it is so complicated I can't even understand this. I teach 5 th grade.