Help

First Grade

Guided Math

>

42inFirst

Guided Math
Old 08-22-2016, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I keep reading posts and blogs about guided math and I'm wondering if I can make it work with our math program. We just started using GoMath this year and it is very different than our old program. My class abilities are so varied that it seems like teaching in small groups would be more beneficial than whole group. Anyone have experience with guided math?

42inFirst is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach-Hope

Go for it!!
Old 08-23-2016, 05:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You will love guided math. Our school piloted GoMath, but didn't end up purchasing

A lot of other teachers do away with a big whole group chunk when they adopt guided math. I choose not to. I still do a half hour of whole group math most days. This works best for me and when I'm working with kids in small group they are already have a foundation for the skills we will be practicing. It also ensures that every kid accesses the core content. Like you, I have so many kids with varying needs at varying levels. The small groups allow us to work on the skills that they're missing and the new skills. If I didn't do that whole group math time I'm not sure I would be able to fit it in.

So, each day I do 45 minutes of guided math and 30 minutes of whole group, but I think you have to find what works for you in all of it.
Teach-Hope is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Interested too
Old 08-23-2016, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm leaning that way too. I bookmarked this thread so that I can possibly move in that direction. Right now, in a typical class period I teach a whole group lesson, then I meet with one "reteaching group" (these are students who did not do well on a recent assesment). During that group time, students who are not in the group are working on Dreambox on the computer or doing some kind of math fact activity/game individually or with a partner.
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

42inFirst

Dreambox
Old 08-24-2016, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We don't have dream box but maybe there are some iPad apps they could use? I am completely overwhelmed by GoMath and what they expect my kids to do already.

Munchkins

GoMatn
Old 08-24-2016, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This will be our second year using GoMath. It is very language and reading heavy at the beginning so so we did most of the beginning chapters together. I used the red checked problems to know who to pull for small group work and who could work independently. When they were done with their pages I had individual and partner games available. I may switch up what they need to do when they are finished, but we haven't started yet so it depends on their skills and if I have any support staff with me. I wouldn't do guided math the first year of the program, and I'm not sure about this year, either.

Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

42inFirst

Munchkins
Old 08-24-2016, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Do you just do the whole lesson together, in whole group? it is just taking forever because they aren't able to read the questions or work independently yet.

Do you like GoMath?

Munchkins

I don't hate it...
Old 08-24-2016, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I find it very difficult at the beginning of the year because they can't read the problems yet. So we end up dong most of it together. I do hate the videos because they are from the 2012 series and not the 2015 one, so many don't match the lessons. You're better off just teaching the concept yourself and having them work along with manipulatives and/or slates, and then using tbe practice book for guided and independent practice. If you have readers who are also strong math students, you can let them go off on their own to work and check their books after.

It does take forever at the beginning, but as they become comfortable with the language and stronger readers, they can be more independent.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Racetchr

Love guided Math
Old 09-05-2016, 11:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have been teaching Go Math for three years and really enjoy it. At first it was hard but now we are seeing the benefits at our school and the spiral learning that takes place from grade to grade. This will be my second year at Guided Math and I do find it more beneficial for my students, especially when you have varied levels of abilities. I would suggest looking at Regan Tunstall's website Tunstall's Teaching Tidbits, she has a wonderful section of Guided Math. She has many freebies. I use many of her suggestions in my guided math. Good luck.
Racetchr is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Simplify to just 3 rotations?
Old 09-05-2016, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

The blog shared by pp looks great! I'm the type though that needs things to be super simple.

I would check out the post by Sassy Teach here:
http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...ht=guided+math

I'm thinking of doing a Daily 3 format similar to what she shared.

- Small group work (with the teacher)
- Partner work (math games and puzzles)
- Independent work (Ipads/Computers)

Some great puzzles can be found here: http://www.coloringsquared.com/
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

We do Guided Math
Old 09-05-2016, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

but we also do our regular Core Math. We are required to have an hour of Core math, and then, during a different chunk of the day we have Guided Math for 1/2 hour. The idea is to meet with kids in small groups to give them help in any area of math that they need help in.

linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote