Third Grade

New Third Grade Teacher with some reading questions

>

acannonnw

New Third Grade Teacher with some reading questions
Old 12-03-2016, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

SOS SOS

Help! I'm a new third grade teacher coming from majorly a kindergarten teaching background. I was just hired a week ago and just yesterday was told that I would be going from all subjects to a reading/language arts departmentalization...which is less lesson planning somewhat but....I think it's tit for tat...

my question is: what are the things I need to do now to start guided reading? My homeroom is on or above grade level (yay!) but the other third grade class is well below (not so yay!) What are some organizational tips to set up a classroom where we 'switch'? And...was thinking about implementing CAFE/ some of Daily 5 (I've already somewhat taught D5 in Kindergarten and admin is ready to observe this upcoming week..YIKES!!) vs Reading Workshop... and how does either one rate with Fountas and Pinnell guided reading(a resource that has been dropped a thousand times this week from admin...but not sure what it is and how it relates to D5)?

Lots of questions...lots of TO Do lists...and I'm still setting up my room ....Anything anyone wants to add I would definitely appreciate....

Thanks
Amber

acannonnw is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 12-03-2016, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would suggest spending a couple of weeks teaching routine and procedures. Explicitly teach them how to do things: what it looks like and sounds like during read to self, word work, etc. Practice, Practice, practice!

While you are practicing routines and procedures, I would pull aside students one at a time and have them read to you (hopefully you know their reading level!). This will help you see where they are as readers. Do they need work attack skill work? Do they need to work on fluency? Or is their comprehension low? This will help you find a skill to focus on and help to group students with like deficits.

Once students know the routine, and you have placed them into groups, then you can start guided reading groups. I teach my students the routine for groups as well. What to bring each time, the routine of the lesson, when independent workers can come to me during reading groups.

In my class I do a modified Daily 5 and do guided reading groups. I start out with a mini lesson on a certain skill, then students work independently. Some students read to self, some work on word work, and some respond to reading. I only do read to someone on Friday and only my really low students do Listen to Reading.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

2 useful resources
Old 12-03-2016, 11:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Google Fountas and Pinnell level questions pdf. One pdf is from Cabarrus County. It is 51 pages of Blooms Taxonomy level questions for each F&P reading level. The other (from the F&P wbsite) is a 24 page pdf of fiction and nonfiction questions for each level. HTH

Last edited by RetiredKat; 12-04-2016 at 03:42 AM..
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

sisterwoman

Old 12-03-2016, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Fountas and Pinnell are the gurus of leveled books and guided reading. Daily 5, as you probably already know, would be the structure for what the rest of your students are doing while you are doing guided reading groups. First steps would be determining your students' reading levels and then forming reading groups. I cannot believe that administration is giving you one week before they observe you. We practice the procedures for Daily 5 for 2-3 weeks before attempting guided reading groups. Finding out the curriculum/pacing guide would guide the standards or objectives that you would be teaching to the whole class in minilessons.

Good luck with the changes and know that you can always alter the classroom layout as many times as is needed to get it the way that you want. It also may take a while to figure out the best layout for how you teach and the needs of your class. Let us know how it goes.
sisterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote