Help

Third Grade

mountain language

>

acannonnw

mountain language
Old 12-17-2016, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

okay so.. new third grade teacher and we're departmentalizing starting when we come back from Christmas break. I'm teaching reading/la/ss and was wondering how well Mountain Language works in people's classes. One of my classes I know could handle it but the other are really, really low. So.....

1. Is it worth the cost? I"m funding it myself...
2. I'd be using it for bellwork, right?? Or is it a lesson in itself?
3. I hope there are no mountain language reps here, but I found the worksheet that goes with it..could I create my own words/sentences for the numbers?
4. What are some routines/procedures people use with it?

just thinking and trying to put together a plan

acannonnw is offline   Reply With Quote

beagles2

Mountain Language
Old 12-19-2016, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've used it for 10 years now, and I find it to be very successful. I bought it myself too, and I also have Mountain Math.

You could make up your own problems, but not sure how much time you want to invest. As I said, I bought this once and have used it for 10 years so the price per year isn't very high. But that's up to you.

I use it for the kids who aren't in RtI and we do it as seatwork durng RtI time. For the students who go for extra reading help, I haven't found it to be as accessible or worthwhile. For those who are at/above/only slighly below grade level, it's a very good thing. I think it works well for RtI time since it's just practice, not teaching core academics.

I explain the whole thing to them and we do week 1 together, taking our time as we work on each problem. We also do week 2 together. By week 3 I ask them to work with a partner to be a little more independent. By week 4 I ask them to do what they can independently and I'll help them with anything they're still having trouble with. Week 5 is their first independent week.

I have them work during RtI time M-Th, and we correct it together on Friday. I made up a chart in their Data Folder and they graph their weekly results, marking which problems they get wrong so we can see if there are any patterns. That way I know what they need extra help with.

Once they get rolling, most kids can finish in 10-20 minutes. That's all the problems for that week.

You might try it in the class you're more sure about, and see how it goes. I do totally recommend it. Several coworkers in my district now use it too, since I have had such good luck with it.
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

acannonnw

Awesome!
Old 12-20-2016, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks! I was looking for something to do with the other during RTI time too! This will be perfect....does it take up a lot of space?

Looks like I"m buying a mountain language! I'm not teaching Math...we just decided to departmentalize...I'll be Reading/LA ...
acannonnw is offline   Reply With Quote

beagles2

Old 12-21-2016, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have a bulletin board designated just for Mountain Language in my classroom. I like it because I always know what's going on that board and it's being used all year for work.
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote